What Happened with Corey Deuel ?

Diego Lugano

Registered
Why is He isn't play good like in 2001-2002 era?

He nearly World Champions if he didn't make mistake against Taiwan Master Chao.

Can he will taste World Champions 9-Ball title ?

maybe He can be key Factor in Mosconi Cup last year
too bad he wasted so many chances in Mosconi Cup last year :frown:

I hope Corey Deuel find back his level like in 2001-2002 era :D

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume He couldn't afford to be a pro player anymore lol no money

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I am a huge fan of Corey because he is always thinking outside of the box and coming with some sick shots, but it seems like he has lost that killer instinct or "eye of the tiger" he once had. When he played Rodney a few months back everytime he shot it was almost like an I don't care feel to it. Maybe he has lost his desire to play at the top level and is just playing good enough to get by.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Some of the greatest players in pool's history have not won a World Championship. I wish I could play half as good as Corey does on his bad days.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Corey

Some of the greatest players in pool's history have not won a World Championship. I wish I could play half as good as Corey does on his bad days.

Yes. I'm tired of people criticizing players because they don't win enough World titles. I never won a pro tournament or even a national amateur title. Not because I couldn't have, had I put more time and effort into my game, but because I also had other interests...other sports, getting an education, writing books, etc. I would think that this is also true of many other pool players.

Give Corey credit for what he has accomplished and leave it at that.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is probably the player I enjoy watching the most. When he is on it he is almost impossible to beat. Maybe he isn't on it quite as much lately but I still enjoy watching him play. He holds himself in the correct way. How he is with other players, how he is around the table, he's just a class act. He has a very very smart pool brain and his problem solving of some layouts are beyond my abilities. When I've seen him on TAR afterwards in his interviews you just can't help but like the guy.

Who knows, he may have other interests like Donny said. The only time a player with that much talent stops performing at their highest level is because they don't put the practice in. So it makes me wonder if he does have things going on other than playing.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Why is He isn't play good like in 2001-2002 era?

He nearly World Champions if he didn't make mistake against Taiwan Master Chao.

Can he will taste World Champions 9-Ball title ?

maybe He can be key Factor in Mosconi Cup last year
too bad he wasted so many chances in Mosconi Cup last year :frown:

I hope Corey Deuel find back his level like in 2001-2002 era :D

AZ Billiards has a nice feature where you can search for players and see where they've been placing in events.

In 2014 Corey was 11th on the AZB money list with $52,060. He had 18 top 10 finishes.

http://www.azbilliards.com/people/45-corey-deuel/results/2014/

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Corey was the first pro I ever met. I admire his game and would like to run into him again since he plays in many of the Wyoming tourneys and I live near by.

The competition is tough and Corey wins his share but its a grueling life style. Its silly to think that anyone can stay with it year after year. Father time will catch us all and the passion to compete wanes at times. Corey has made his mark on the game and will probably continue for years.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He never recovered from my buddy stealing his girl years ago. I kid.. I kid...
He's sincerely though one of my all time favorites in the game.
Shame how such incredible talents can succumb to the basics of life just like the average Joe's.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many top players before, their long view of life after pool was never a thought beyond their peak success. Life and reality can catch up and really knock you down. I really dont think Deuel has developed any other life skills other than pool. Not even sure he graduated high school ( may GED? He was a excellent player at a very young age. He is a very nice person. Would be interested in knowing more.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players peak in their 20’s and others peak in their 30’s. Corey seems to be of the former but nonetheless is always a threat to win any major he plays in. Might not be the favorite but still a monster. Alex and Dennis are in their 40’s as well but still seem to be more of a threat if that’s a thing.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many top players before, their long view of life after pool was never a thought beyond their peak success. Life and reality can catch up and really knock you down. I really dont think Deuel has developed any other life skills other than pool. Not even sure he graduated high school ( may GED? He was a excellent player at a very young age. He is a very nice person. Would be interested in knowing more.

He spent a lot of his teenage years, living with Dee Adkins family in West Jefferson Ohio , The family had a roofing business and he worked with them at times.
He used to play in the local tournaments, but he was no where near the player he became in his early 20s.
Dee told me once that he and Corey played all the time and he usually won , then one day Corey decided to take a road trip, and when he came back, Dee said his game had dramatically improved, and it just kept getting better.

charley2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Derby--Corey beat Dennis Orcolo on the Big Foot table 11-5 last Saturday and beat Dennis in 1-poc 1/28--very strong. There are many more top champions these days than early 2000s. Corey consistently plays in the second tier of champions and sometimes in the (first tier-Efren, Shane, Dennis, Busty, others). He is a pleasure to watch and there is a reason he is called "The Prince of Pool."

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that back in the days, and I remember those days very clearly, Corey seemed more confident in his ability, and he also had a thirst and drive to be at the top.

I remember him asking Grady Mathews (RIP), he said to him, "Hey Grady, what else can I do to improve my game" and remember that was in 1999-2000 where he was really good, he still wanted better, this is the type of thrive that he had back then.

Whereas, today, it seem to me that he doesn't care as much, he just trys to win, if he gets the rolls, if not then whatever, this is what I get from the today Corey.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last I checked, Corey is still a threat to win any match he plays no matter who his opponent is. He is and has been a championship level player for over two decades now. Corey may be the most creative pool player of his generation, finding new ways to approach the game and improve his chances to win. He is personally responsible for some of the rule changes made during the last 10-15 years.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Corey's been playing noticeably better the last year or two than when this thread was created in 2015. He's really emerged as a major force in 1-pocket, and it seems like his 9/10 ball game has gone up too. I hope he can continue the trend.