So, how much did he lose ?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Can't believe the excuses you guys are giving John. A bet us a bet. If he won he's gonna get to get paid. If he don't pay... Nobody should ever bet this guy anything.

There are two John Barton's, the Pool Gambler. Personally never played Pool for money with John, so it John's thing too choose to gamble, or not.

The second John Barton is the man behind JBCases, that John & his team of works make GREAT POOL Cue Cases. Need a New Case consider contacting JBCases.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two John Barton's, the Pool Gambler. Personally never played Pool for money with John, so it John's thing too choose to gamble, or not.

The second John Barton is the man behind JBCases, that John & his team of works make GREAT POOL Cue Cases. Need a New Case consider contacting JBCases.

I prefer two rubber bands.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

What exactly is that supposed to even mean...two Johns? We don't get to separate what we do during the day and at night. It's the same guy.

Sent from the future.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is very smart but had a difficult upbringing. I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but maybe this will help to understand it, or help in case others here find themselves in a similar situation and may want to consider treatment.

https://www.promisesbehavioralhealth.com/addiction-recovery-blog/stages-of-compulsive-gambling/

Here are some excerpts:

Action Compulsive Gambler Profile:

Generally male, the action compulsive gambler possesses an I.Q. over 120, is controlling, manipulative and domineering and has a big ego. He is also confident, assertive, energetic and very persuasive, yet with a low self-esteem.

... Games of choice are typically those of skill

...The numbing or narcotic-like effect ... acts as a kind of medication to the action compulsive gambler. But it doesn’t stop the progression of compulsive gambling.

... Gambling to cover pain – Since gambling is the only activity that makes the action compulsive gambler feel better – he thinks – he continues gambling in order to cover up the increasing pain that he feels.

Like I said before, I personally don't think John is a compulsive gambler, but he is complicated and shares many of the traits they describe. I think his best solution would be to never bet a single penny again. Ever. If somebody goads him into betting, he needs to say "I can't do that. It's hurt me and my life. I don't want to be ruined."

If that means quitting pool, so be it.

Yes, I've known many of these types in the pool room. Too many. It's unfortunate when someone can't play pool because they love the game.

First, let me say - John is a great casemaker...but I'm not sure about his "business" skills. And he has no business trying to play pool for money. At all.

He and Karen came through Richmond, VA in April of 2014. I ordered an Air Force themed custom case from him in person, gave him a 50% deposit, talked my friend who owned the pool room (Diamond Billiards in Midlothian) into buying some cases John was selling from his vehicle (because they ARE great cases), which he did, and John told me my case would be made in 8 weeks.

BTW - I have ALL of the FB messages saved, which I'm reviewing.

Fast forward to Jan 2016. It never happened. I was really disappointed. I told him, dude, I just want to pay you whatever you ask to make this case and I just get ignored. Super disappointing. So I unfriended him on FB and wrote it off.

If John put all of his tremendous FOCUS and ENERGY into strictly his business and customers he could be a millionaire. Quit the bs and trying to be Mr. Gambling Big Shot and start trying to be the best business man you can be and the sky is the limit. And I'LL STILL take that case and pay you the remainder for it if you ever want to complete it (6 years later). I still think your cases are the best.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I've known many of these types in the pool room. Too many. It's unfortunate when someone can't play pool because they love the game.

First, let me say - John is a great casemaker...but I'm not sure about his "business" skills. And he has no business trying to play pool for money. At all.

He and Karen came through Richmond, VA in April of 2014. I ordered an Air Force themed custom case from him in person, gave him a 50% deposit, talked my friend who owned the pool room (Diamond Billiards in Midlothian) into buying some cases John was selling from his vehicle (because they ARE great cases), which he did, and John told me my case would be made in 8 weeks.

Fast forward to Jan 2016. It never happened. I was really disappointed. I told him, dude, I just want to pay you whatever you ask to make this case and I just get ignored. Super disappointing. So I unfriended him on FB and wrote it off.

If John put all of his tremendous FOCUS and ENERGY into strictly his business and customers he could be a millionaire. Quit the bs and trying to be Mr. Gambling Big Shot and start trying to be the best business man you can be and the sky is the limit. And I'LL STILL take that case and pay you the remainder for it if you ever want to complete it (6 years later). I still think your cases are the best.

Probably couldn't design the case. Too tough of a task to do so.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm not even going to watch the videos. I think he will pay this off.

I agree...JB will pay...he couldn’t live with himself otherwise.
....but he should learn to make issues...if he loses that amount, the action is over.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loses 40k in a humid garage is a problem.

Then again if they were real friends they wouldn't take the money in that situation and most wouldn't but the fact that it's 40k....they want it.

Probably a lot of shit talking in that garage to warrant it be a serious bet.

Imagine just throwing bets out there because your ego couldn't stand it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Wow, Matt, that really sucks. Sorry you had to go through that. For those who don't know Matt, he's a young retired US Air Force and a great guy as you can tell.

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually the good players gamble and the rest have no business gambling. At most he is should be $20/set player but since he's in the pool industry and hangs out with gamblers and professionals he felt he throw professional money out there.

It came to a crash.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Loses 40k in a humid garage is a problem.

Then again if they were real friends they wouldn't take the money in that situation and most wouldn't but the fact that it's 40k....they want it.

Probably a lot of shit talking in that garage to warrant it be a serious bet.

Imagine just throwing bets out there because your ego couldn't stand it.
It was hot, humid and a garage for the other guy too.

Sent from the future.

DJ66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when are these first installment of stimulus checks by JB going out?

What and how much is the installments?

Does he get to just settle the debt.

Perhaps 35k can be settled for 20k?

Are these new batches of cases, post-garage debt, will be good quality? He has to pump a tons of cases to pay down this debt.

I can't answer most of these questions, however, I can assure you the "post-garage debt" cases will be the same quality as every other JB Case. They will not be made in some "no-name" factory, but will continue to be hand-made in his small shop.

DJ66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when are these first installment of stimulus checks by JB going out?

What and how much is the installments?

Does he get to just settle the debt.

Perhaps 35k can be settled for 20k?

Are these new batches of cases, post-garage debt, will be good quality? He has to pump a tons of cases to pay down this debt.

Matt, contact me...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What exactly is that supposed to even mean...two Johns? We don't get to separate what we do during the day and at night. It's the same guy.

Sent from the future.

Ask someone who understands reading simple English better then you, to as Rickey Recardo would say "SPLAIN" the post to you.

Remember Rickey Recardo, Desi Lu Productions?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the reason why I brought up hot and humid garage is because is that a place you want to dump 35k? One would think a nice dinner, entertainment and cue or watch buying in Vegas.

If I’m going to lose that much money it’s not going to be in a hot garage playing pool. So what I’m trying to say is these bets are nulled. Nobody in their right mind would do that and it’s not serious. It’s forgivable.

The fact that it went up to 35k and these scum bags are collecting says a lot about their character. Remember no money was posted or that I know of. If money was posted then JB wouldn’t even be in this spot. Nobody carrying that kind of money and he would have paid already.

Some shit talking and huge amounts of money that is just shit talking but it got to 35k and now everyone wants to collect. I would take lunch money from my friends but I would never take 35k in bets playin a steamy garage. I would chop it up as just shit talking bravado. These are pool players not the best of characters.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a little of the match starting around 2am to 4 something am.
Like they said, neither played exceptional.
They were playing 9 ball and the chat said 2k per game.
JB was down 2-5 games the whole time I watched.

JB asked for a 30 minute break once.... and you'd think he would eat/drink something....but nope. Banged balls the whole time saying something like I'll pay everyone 2 dollars for every open shot I miss.

Meanwhile his opponent actually took a break and left the room the whole 30 minutes.

In walked what looked like John Morra or his twin...and grabbed a cue and started stroking down the rail where the cloth and the rail make a straight line.
Dude stroked like 200 times trying to practice a straight stroke....at least 10 minutes....this was the pro that was there. (or one of them)

Maybe JB should have done this drill also....

Anyway...what John said was...If he and his opponent both had similar Fargo Ratings.... this Austin guy should have been more in stroke because he'd been quarantined with this pro, playing daily.

It sounds like this is why they both decided to match up in the first place....similar Fargo Ratings.

Whatever.... I don't know the exact number bet...

I just can't wait to play pool again with all you crazy bastards.

See you all out there again one day soon....

What size/type of table were they playing on?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 very successful pool companies -The first was Instroke which he sold after 5 years or more I think, i forget the second one but it was just as well known, and JB Cases and he can't come up with $35K?? He either has no idea what he is doing, Piss poor money management or he just wants to slow roll paying off the debt. Take your pick but none of them are good.

Still that being said the guys owed should offer to settle at 40 cents on the dollar IF they are paid within 2 weeks. It was totally free money that they were stealing from a mentally compromised individual.