Earthquake Vs. Jose Parica

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just into the second rack but....

Not being a student of the game until the last 8 to 10 years. I've heard of, but never watched McCready play. If this is what it was like, that's painful

i too find it painful nowadays to watch players that twitch and jump up a lot, ismael paez was another one that did that. the sideshow stuff is cringeworthy as well, but i guess some people liked it

did parica place 2nd that year? he must have improved on his break later on

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i too find it painful nowadays to watch players that twitch and jump up a lot, ismael paez was another one that did that. the sideshow stuff is cringeworthy as well, but i guess some people liked it

And it is the accumulation of small improvements that raises the level of play over time.

Also, one thing we don't get to see watching all the tournament pool is a guy shooting lights out for hours.

Bring a lotta barrels.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My take on Keith M is most people (meself included) only got to see him for regular change or having a hoot pumping up. I believe that if something like 9 ball for a hundred K a game came up back then, he'd settle down and do the good stuff unto whosoever was foolish enough to be on the other end.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fun to watch...looked for the finals, but couldn't find it.

(edit) looked it up. No video found, but looks like Jeremy Jones beat Keith in the finals.

Jeremy beat José in the finals.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you guys notice that both players throughout the match were hitting the balls very fat, even many of the ones that fell?

What do you think was the cause? The cloth? I think I saw Andy cloth logo on the cloth, but not 100% sure. Does brand new cloth squirts the CB more and swerves the CB less? Would that explain it? Is this effect bigger on Andy cloth than Simonis (assuming it was Andy)?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on Keith M is most people (meself included) only got to see him for regular change or having a hoot pumping up. I believe that if something like 9 ball for a hundred K a game came up back then, he'd settle down and do the good stuff unto whosoever was foolish enough to be on the other end.

Jay would prob be the one most likely to have direct comment on Keith's persona playing for $50 a game vs a $25k set, but I bet it was about the same.

Gambling coupon collector.

He does not wasn't to give you a turn.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
oh- I also played Parica a few times over the years and one think sticks out in my mind...He broke first, broke dry and the 1 was straight in, about 18" from pocket.

With about 376 people watching, i shot that ball into the rail about a foot from the pocket. Dammit.

I take my deserved place in the chair and my buddy puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "yeah, he wins a lot of games because he is Jose Parica".

Cool story bro!:cool: What was the final score?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay would prob be the one most likely to have direct comment on Keith's persona playing for $50 a game vs a $25k set, but I bet it was about the same.

Gambling coupon collector.

He does not wasn't to give you a turn.

Keith played the same for $5 as he did for $500 a game. He could make a really tough shot under pressure better than almost anyone else I ever saw. He seemed to thrive on pressure and embrace it rather than be stymied by it. Keith was impervious to the things that rattled normal pool players. I saw him shoot many a difficult rack at hill-hill and laugh and joke on almost every ball on his way to victory. He was truly one of a kind!

You can believe me when I tell you that he made ALL his opponents a little nervous. Even the very best players were secretly hopeful he either wouldn't show up for his match (it happened occasionally) or be plastered/exhausted when he did (another regular occurrence). Keith made running a rack look so simple. He never needed time to study the shot from all angles or get all locked down first and take several practice strokes. He just took one look and fired the ball in. He didn't really have a "stance" so to speak. He had more stances and bridges then a room full of pool players. For "Keither with the Ether" playing pool was like painting by numbers.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats basicall my observation as well, though I never saw him in person until he planted on the right coast- y2kish.

I can also say I have never seen him not know what to do when faced with a pool game situation. self confidence and decades of experience combine to make one tough opponent...and he was likely only half-speeding us when he joined our events. Ow.

Keith played the same for $5 as he did for $500 a game. He could make a really tough shot under pressure better than almost anyone else I ever saw. He seemed to thrive on pressure and embrace it rather than be stymied by it. Keith was impervious to the things that rattled normal pool players. I saw him shoot many a difficult rack at hill-hill and laugh and joke on almost every ball on his way to victory. He was truly one of a kind!

You can believe me when I tell you that he made ALL his opponents a little nervous. Even the very best players were secretly hopeful he either wouldn't show up for his match (it happened occasionally) or be plastered/exhausted when he did (another regular occurrence). Keith made running a rack look so simple. He never needed time to study the shot from all angles or get all locked down first and take several practice strokes. He just took one look and fired the ball in. He didn't really have a "stance" so to speak. He had more stances and bridges then a room full of pool players. For "Keither with the Ether" playing pool was like painting by numbers.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched it yesterday and I think it is a recent post from accu-stats. Fun to watch and we saw both good and bad play. I'm surprised Keith was at .950 at one point, but when he did hit a gear—it was pretty fun to watch. Both of their breaks were weak compared to the players today even though they started making multiple balls in the later racks. I'll take Shanes break any day.

No template racks, so they were all trying anything. Parica’s head-on break was often at 17mph. Keith sort of complained about it, but his how was often down to 18-19.

Yes, they had a radar gun that year.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
When I see Keith McCready with all his animation winding his arm stretching fidgeting strutting around like a barnyard rooster grabbing sips of beer along the way wearing shirts that sparkle LOL all while engaging the audience the way he does, I think how I wish we had a thousand More Keith mccready's in our game

We've had some spectacular characters like Fats, Liscotti, Louie, Alex, Earl, etc etc and while the more robotic players of today can be fun to watch I think we always need to have some very colorful players in the mix otherwise it's too plain vanilla for me.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Entertaining Old Match!

I thought it was an entertaining old match. The play was a little up and down but still interesting. A handful of times Keith played the second or third most obvious shot that was a very good shot. A level of table generalship that he isn't known for. Parica is at least in his mid-fifties and it shows.

One thing you have to watch closely to catch, there was a second at about the fifty-seven minute mark where Keith comes within an eye blink of shattering his cue. I think that was when he jawed the second nine ball in the match to give a game to Parica and give him a little air. I am sure Keith suspects that giving Jose a break could be the end of the match at that point, or that was true recently enough to live on in memory.

We don't get to see top speed Parica or McCready but still a match worth the watching I believe.

Hu

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would NEVER teach somebody to play pool with Keith’s stance. It is amazing to me how great a player he was shooting upright and seemingly moving on every shot. What a unique player

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Keith still play on a regular basis? If so, I would love to see him play a match against Earl with a variety of games kind of like Earl’s match with Sigel a few years ago