Help buying first cue

This is certainly something I'm considering.

The facebook link earlier never popped up for me so I don't know how to find the listing from Michael Littman.

Right now my main considerations are either this listing on craigslist... I've messaged him for shaft diameter, weight, and tip because it doesn't seem to have it. Only negative really is that it doesn't have a wrap and I'd prefer one. You can't have an unwrapped stick wrapped can you?

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/greeley-mcdermott-g230-core-and-case/7200621685.html

Or I really just like this Pechauer's design and the upside is like said above, I could keep this butt and upgrade shafts only when/if I get to that point...

https://www.seyberts.com/pechauer-jp06q-pool-cue

Theres also these on ebay but they have zero information about diameter or shaft at all...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pool-Cue-by-J-Pechauer-Custom-Cues-JP-USA-Green/273821118124?hash=item3fc102aeac%3Ag%3AEJQAAOSwGzBdq0qE&LH_BIN=1

Or just sticking with my original plan for substantially less since this cue comes exactly how I'd like to start out. Downside is that the whole stick would need replacing when I decide to upgrade. I also just would rather a color stain over stickers.

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Technology-HXT15-Two-Piece-Pool/dp/B07CMFDWHP

I'm still looking at the schmelke sticks as well. So far I haven't found any that I like that will keep me enough under the pechauer to not just go for the pechauer. And I'm also going through the for sell section but most of that is way above my limit.

And as far as the break cue goes. I'm not "worried" about velocity exactly, more just wanting to find a good balance for me to maximize energy if I want to power break. I didn't know if there was a good rule of thumb out there for figuring out what the max weight you'd want to use is.

Thanks so much everybody. I'm learning a whole lot as I go through all this.

Please forget all of the other recommendations, and get a Joss. They are great cues. Better then anything that has been mentioned so far, and can be had within your price range. Hard to believe nobody has mentioned Joss yet. Unbelievable.

https://josscues.com/

You said that you want a wrap, so here are a few with wraps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-Light...sh=item41fe8e5bb9:g:tf8AAOSwyBRcNV-W&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-Red-S...sh=item3fbdd962fb:g:1R8AAOSwSzRZVFyG&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-Black...sh=item41fee67fc3:g:snQAAOSwHTlbvV3M&LH_BIN=1

I would get the sneaky though. Had one as a kid, and it was one of the sweetest hitting cues I ever played with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-Sneak...sh=item41c5f67601:g:hZIAAOSw7ehXRQKw&LH_BIN=1

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I have not read every word so if I . . . Someone mentioned impressing pool cue snobs, or not. What will impress even regular folks, without regard to the cost of, or name on, your cue is how you take care of it.

You will need a cue case -- they are lifesavers for a cue -- so include one in your budget. Likewise joint protectors. Next, always clean chalk from the tip and wipe the shaft and butt down (dry rag, napkin, etc.) before you case your cue. Maintain your tip. Decide upon a regimen of cue care and stick to it. You really can keep your shaft from turning blue with regular cleaning, etc. Burnish your tip and your shaft. Get cleaner/wax/sealer for your shaft and cleaner/wax for your butt. (I am sure there will be plenty of advice about this entire subject.) Avoid getting dings and learn how to work a ding out in case one does occur. Always keep an eye on your cue so an idiot cannot steal it.

If you do it right, you will maintain both the cue's monetery value and its value to you as a tool. My grandfather, a wooden boat builder, had a saying about unmaintained or rusted tools: "too much oil". I also learned from him that many craftsmen evaluated other craftsmen by examining the quality/condition of their tools in addition to their finished products. Don't let your cue suffer from "too much oil".

Have fun, take care, stay safe.

Alright, guys and gals, what did I miss?

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Well, for $240, you can get this Joss, and I guarantee you will love it.
He cannot guarantee you will love it. How cues play is personal preference and you might love it or hate it. Joss is definitely a good one to add to the list of good quality cues for consideration at your price range though.

Please forget all of the other recommendations, and get a Joss. They are great cues. Better then anything that has been mentioned so far...

Don't forget the other recommendations at all, he is being silly because he doesn't have a clue what your preferences are. It's like saying I know you are going to like sardines. Well no you don't know that, everybody's taste is different, and there is even less consensus on how cues play than on how different foods taste (by far). And Joss is not better than several of the other brands that have been mentioned. Their quality is good, but not any better than most of the others mentioned from a quality perspective either including a couple that you are already considering.

With any of the brands I have heard suggested so far, you will probably be satisfied with the quality/value of any of them, but you might ultimately love them or hate them based on how they play to you. Since no matter what you buy is going to be an absolute shot in the dark since you don't really know your cue "hit"/"play" preferences yet, you should just buy based on your other criteria of the things you like and what makes sense and what you can get a good deal on.

If it turns out that you hate the way whatever you get ends up playing for you for some reason, you can always sell it and try again with another brand but it is a shot in the dark with any of them. And at that point you will have slightly more information to work with too, and can come back and say "I tried an XYZ cue and it was too stiff/made too much of a loud dink sound/was too butt heavy/the butt diameter was too large/or whatever else is the case" and people can help you narrow down the list of what to try next based on that.

Last edited:
He cannot guarantee you will love it. How cues play is personal preference and you might love it or hate it. Joss is definitely a good one to add to the list of good quality cues for consideration at your price range though.

Don't forget the other recommendations at all, he is being silly because he doesn't have a clue what your preferences are. It's like saying I know you are going to like sardines. Well no you don't know that, everybody's taste is different, and there is even less consensus on how cues play than on how different foods taste (by far). And Joss is not better than several of the other brands that have been mentioned. Their quality is good, but not any better than most of the others mentioned from a quality perspective either including a couple that you are already considering.

With any of the brands I have heard suggested so far, you will probably be satisfied with the quality/value of any of them, but you might ultimately love them or hate them based on how they play to you. Since no matter what you buy is going to be an absolute shot in the dark since you don't really know your cue "hit"/"play" preferences yet, you should just buy based on your other criteria of the things you like and what makes sense and what you can get a good deal on.

If it turns out that you hate the way whatever you get ends up playing for you for some reason, you can always sell it and try again with another brand but it is a shot in the dark with any of them. And at that point you will have slightly more information to work with too, and can come back and say "I tried an XYZ cue and it was too stiff/made too much of a loud dink sound/was too butt heavy/the butt diameter was too large/or whatever else is the case" and people can help you narrow down the list of what to try next based on that.

Yeah, I guess the best advice would be to find a dealer, who allows potential customers to test out cues before buying.

I knew a dealer, who had a large collection of used cues in his many dealer cases, and he also had a pool table, and would allow me to shoot with any cue I was interested in.

For anyone interested in a LD cue, I would highly recommend the Lucasi Hybrid, or Lucasi Custom with Zero Flex shaft. They make a Slim shaft too, for those who like a skinny / long taper. Either of those can be found on the used market for under $250, and I can't imagine any player not loving the way they hit.

Would also highly recommend a Mezz or a Schon, and they can be had on the used market for in the $300 range, if just wanting one of their lower end models.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Joss is definitely a good cue. I have an older McDermott and love the balance point. The Joss has a very similar balance point. Viking is a good brand but the particular cue I have is butt heavy for my preference. I have no idea if this is how they all are, but the one I have is butt heavy.

The one thing to realize is, if you're getting a budget cue, you don't have to stick with it for life. Take good care of it and you can either sell it for half price or give it to someone getting into the game. You can always save up and get a different cue, or you might just fall in love with the one you get and keep it forever. I saved up from my first "real" job in 1996 and bought my cue. I still have it today and barring any uncontrollable circumstances, I'll have it forever. I guess my point is, any decent cue you get will serve you well and you can always try other cues in the future. It would be ideal to try a few before purchase, but even if you can't it's still going to be better than a house cue.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am. Needs 10 characters.

If you come to Felt billiards tomorrow at 10 AM you can try my Schmelke and I can probably get a couple others to let you try their cues.
Just ask the counter person for Bruce.

You can go to Best Quality Billiards on West Colfax in Lakewood and try cues.
They have a whole wall full.

Last edited:
Schmelke.
This was a big scam by a member here.

Can't really blame Schmelke either, because they will build you a cue however you want it built, and not sign it or put their logo on it, if you do not want them to.

I should try a Schmelke someday, because I have never read a bad word about the playability of their cues.

Have only read really good reviews about them, except for one, that said that 2nd hand stock shafts do not fit flush with their butts.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't really blame Schmelke either, because they will build you a cue however you want it built, and not sign it or put their logo on it, if you do not want them to.

I should try a Schmelke someday, because I have never read a bad word about the playability of their cues.

Have only read really good reviews about them, except for one, that said that 2nd hand stock shafts do not fit flush with their butts.

My $230 Schmelke plays as good as my $1000 Troy Downey.
The Downey has more vibrant woods, much fancier rings and a better finish.
But both play very good.

Enigma86

Registered
If you come to Felt billiards tomorrow at 10 AM you can try my Schmelke and I can probably get a couple others to let you try their cues.
Just ask the counter person for Bruce.

You can go to Best Quality Billiards on West Colfax in Lakewood and try cues.
They have a whole wall full.

Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately, I work 12's on Saturdays.

I did actually make it to best quality billiards, but I didn't have long and while they do have a lot of cues, they only have about 4 makes. I shot but honestly was very distracted at the fact that I can't chalk the tip and so anything that wasn't dead center was a miscue. I might go back though because at the time I thought I was limiting myself to 100 bucks. Haha, look how long that lasted.

Also, I will certainly be getting a case and taking care of whatever I do get. Even if I do decide to upgrade, it won't be very soon. I want to focus on my game more than the stick.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My $230 Schmelke plays as good as my $1000 Troy Downey.
The Downey has more vibrant woods, much fancier rings and a better finish.
But both play very good.

My Jackpots play as well as any cue made of wood being sold, or traded, on here.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss is definitely a good cue. I have an older McDermott and love the balance point. The Joss has a very similar balance point. Viking is a good brand but the particular cue I have is butt heavy for my preference. I have no idea if this is how they all are, but the one I have is butt heavy.

The one thing to realize is, if you're getting a budget cue, you don't have to stick with it for life. Take good care of it and you can either sell it for half price or give it to someone getting into the game. You can always save up and get a different cue, or you might just fall in love with the one you get and keep it forever. I saved up from my first "real" job in 1996 and bought my cue. I still have it today and barring any uncontrollable circumstances, I'll have it forever. I guess my point is, any decent cue you get will serve you well and you can always try other cues in the future. It would be ideal to try a few before purchase, but even if you can't it's still going to be better than a house cue.

For a "player" - I really like the new cues JOSS is making. They range from affordable to expensive. I like the taper and quality of the shafts...and the way they HIT with whatever tip (Triangle?) they use, and they are American made (if that's important to you). My buddy has a basic JOSS in the $300 range(?) that plays as good as anything.

Enigma86

Registered
For anyone interested in a LD cue, I would highly recommend the Lucasi Hybrid, or Lucasi Custom with Zero Flex shaft. They make a Slim shaft too, for those who like a skinny / long taper. Either of those can be found on the used market for under $250, and I can't imagine any player not loving the way they hit.

Did an ebay search and found these two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucasi-Lim...sh=item1a9cfab71d:g:HKgAAOSw4wZdk44Q&LH_BIN=1

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucasi-Poo...sh=item4462f68202:g:DZAAAOSwZfBfUAIW&LH_BIN=1

Couldn't find much on the second one.

Enigma86

Registered
Does anybody know what this is? It looks like a real inlay, has a uniloc joint and he says that it only fits lucasi or predator shafts, but doesn't know what brand...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/757237791715357/

Still for some reason can't make it to the facebook page with the Pechauers.

Heres also a Meucci for 275.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1024691877978511/

I definitely would go used if I can find something I know is a good deal. Problem is that I don't know cues enough to know what I'm looking at. I feel like that first one could be a nice cue that hes just getting rid of but doesn't know what he has but I have no clue.

Last edited: