Players dropping out of the Matchroom/Predator CLP

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I saw the format and there was even a 2 min video by matchroom explaining it and I was still left scratching my head. I’m not smart enough to understand it:)

gerryf

It is a strange format that greatly favors the players who start in the first group of seven.

For the past 16 years, there's been a Championship League in Snooker, operated in a similar way. although the snooker version has eight groups of seven, and only four players advance to the next group, with three new players joining in each group.

The snooker version runs 28 players.

Each of the group winners gets about 6000 pounds, and the overall winner gets an additional 10000 pounds I believe.

I imagine it's pretty exhausting to play a round robin every day, and every day sees new faces in the group.

But it is a good way to have seven group winners, plus an overall winner, plus all the payouts down to 6th for each group. An expensive proposition for Predator/Matchroom to sponsor.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Lolz aside, potential earnings are not earnings.

It isn't tax code where things like 'discounts not taken' has a credit/debit entry.
I can't remember where I read it, I think it was a book by Taleb, where a group of men draw straws over who should pay for dinner. After the loser pays, the others thank him, apart from one. When asked why, he said it was because he himself paid for the dinner "probabilistically".

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't remember where I read it, I think it was a book by Taleb, where a group of men draw straws over who should pay for dinner. After the loser pays, the others thank him, apart from one. When asked why, he said it was because he himself paid for the dinner "probabilistically".
Good thing he was there.

Pssssheew.

gerryf

It is a strange format that greatly favors the players who start in the first group of seven.

If you're a new player in Group 7, you know that six of the best players have already won their groups and are in the Winners Group. Your odds of winning in Group 7 are better because of it.

If you start out in Group 1, you seem to have a better chance, although the new players joining in each group could be a new threat.

So it's tough to call who this format favors. That will be something interesting to watch this time.

With races to five, who knows?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're a new player in Group 7, you know that six of the best players have already won their groups and are in the Winners Group. Your odds of winning in Group 7 are better because of it.

If you start out in Group 1, you seem to have a better chance, although the new players joining in each group could be a new threat.

So it's tough to call who this format favors. That will be something interesting to watch this time.

With races to five, who knows?
Just seems like there could be easier, fairer ways of doing this, but I’m sure Matchroom must have their reasons why they set it up this way.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just seems like there could be easier, fairer ways of doing this, but I’m sure Matchroom must have their reasons why they set it up this way.
It does seem really odd, but generally when things like this seem odd 99/100 its something to do with expected tv ratings/scheduling or both!

*appreciate it won't be on tv in the US, but presumably will be streamed.

gerryf

A single or double elimination tournament is often not won by the best player, but by the luckiest, and often comes down to a single ball.

Could this league style tournament be a fairer test of skill?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I see that as less tangible than walking into the bank with a bunch of trophies.

It is unrealized income for the loser. By definition...not earned.
Play better
Predator was not consistent in this matter. They changed their "patch" policy when faced with opposition from certain players. Either way, it was a bad look for them. I stand by the statements I made in post #185. To restrict or diminish their competitors who also sponsor players, with an unfair patch policy is not in the best interest of our sport.
Why should Predator care about "growing the sport"? They are a company and care about growing THEMSELVES not everybody else.

Hell, the other companies won't even let their players play and somehow Predator, who is sponsoring the event($$$) is the bad guy?

Only in America.

If I was MR and Predator, next event I would only invite American players that are Predator sponsored and outside of Shane does anybody really stand a chance of winning it anyway(one that you'd bet even money on if they made it to the finals)? Most of the players would be non American.

Tell me again how that Cuetec and Meucci league are going

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Because, by growing the sport, they (Predator) has a better chance of growing themselves.
Let Cuetec and Meucci grow the sport.

Problem with pool is everybody thinks they are owed something. Predator owes none of you anything!

If they grow this event, they grow pool. If you all don't like the way they spend THEIR own money, then you should get together and put together a competing event, since that's not going to happen and Predator is actually putting money into the sport maybe all the armchair quarterbacks should sit this one out.

This isn't like the "other pro tour" where nobody knows where the $$$ is coming from - is it calcuttas, the room owners, the "tour" owner? It's legit money from 2 of the biggest names in pool. All of it is being televised and all you people do is complain.

And the most common saying in pool is....

CaptainBly

Registered
In my humble opinion Predator and matchroom have made a mistake here. Most of the time in these kind of events, the event sponsor has their logo on everything but the players. There is no confusion on who is sponsoring what. I think both of these organizations have ulterior motives. Look at the Mosconi cup marketing photos like the one below. Who do you think sponsors this player? I think this is the problem with the players sponsors. Also stop blaming the players, they have contracts with their sponsors thatneed to be followed.
download (1).jpg

DieselPete

Will the cuetec tour retaliate?

And the poster of Fedor Gorst demonstrates why it is beyond ridiculous to expect/demand that players wear a competing logo that clearly implies, and is meant to imply, an endorsement of that brand.

What if Cuetec comes back and says, "To play in our event you must wear OUR logo on a polo we provide," and then they hand the players a shirt with a logo the size of a billboard running across the whole chest, with a matching one on the back? Do the Predator players wear that or appropriately refuse to? And are the fans then left with Predator players in one series of events and Cuetec players in another set of events?