Shane Van Boening's World Record

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that SVB or Sky would gladly gamble with you on the kiddie tables. They are kiddie tables right? So you should probably run out every other rack. Shut your pie hole before you lose all your money.

_______
You are losing the plot here, Get_A_Grip. SJM is a good guy and he never said what you claim. He is an astute observer of the game and his observations are well considered. I appreciate his input very much.

I've always enjoyed your posts but lately you've developed a pretty rough edge.

• Wow
Reactions: sjm

chenjy9

I prefer big-table myself but if it wasn't for the 'kiddie tables' pool in this country would have died yrs ago. WAY more pool is played on a daily basis on bar-boxes than 9ft's.

This honestly... not to mention most folks don't have the space to fit a 9 footer properly in their house. Most can barely fit an 8 footer. Anything that helps more folks get into this game is a great thing and should be just as meaningful.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This honestly... not to mention most folks don't have the space to fit a 9 footer properly in their house. Most can barely fit an 8 footer. Anything that helps more folks get into this game is a great thing and should be just as meaningful.
Most pool is played in bars/taverns. Just my $.02 here but i do agree that watching world-class level players on bar-tables is kinda like playing the Masters on a par-3 course. It is what it is. Pool players are gonna play where there is money to be made. Not blaming them in any way.

chenjy9

Most pool is played in bars/taverns. Just my $.02 here but i do agree that watching world-class level players on bar-tables is kinda like playing the Masters on a par-3 course. It is what it is. Pool players are gonna play where there is money to be made. Not blaming them in any way.

I actually agree with the overall perspective, just that it should not diminish any sort of achievements. While a bigger table is still more challenging, smaller tables are not without their own challenges either. I think of it as playing professional mini-golf.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
You are losing the plot here, Get_A_Grip. SJM is a good guy and he never said what you claim. He is an astute observer of the game and his observations are well considered. I appreciate his input very much.

I've always enjoyed your posts but lately you've developed a pretty rough edge.

Oh, I know exactly what you're saying. But I also know that SJM doesn't respect bar table pool. The match was great to watch. SVB showed his dominance. Just remember that SJM also said that jump shots aren't more exciting than any other shot. None of us is perfect. SJM was wrong and never admitted it. Truth is truth.

After thinking more about this, you are right, I have a harded edge now. It's just that we're getting to the point in society where we need to start to defend obvious truths. That's what I'm trying to do. Calling something black that is white just can't be tolerated much more, or before we know it, we'll be full communists with no truth allowed. SJM posts great information and generally has great feedback. But we all need to be reigned in from time to time.
_______

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually agree with the overall perspective, just that it should not diminish any sort of achievements. While a bigger table is still more challenging, smaller tables are not without their own challenges either. I think of it as playing professional mini-golf.
I think 8 ball is much harder on a 7 foot. Far more congested then on a 9. The only way to even the playing field is to lower the cushions, and shrink the balls (on a 7).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I appreciate the run and the thread, I think its a stretch calling it a "world record". No way to know for sure what the longest run is. And even if this was the longest ever run (hypothetically), its a stretch to call that a world record. The term world record IMO should be reserved for something that occurs in international competition. That is how it is in every other sport. In Olympic Weightlifting, for example, if you lift xxx kg at your local meet, that is a "world record lift", it won't count as a world record. Only as a record for that local meet. National records are set at national level meets only. World records are set at international level competitions only. I'm pretty sure its like this in every sport.

Antheor thing, lets say baseball that tracks every single statistic, they wouldn't call an xxx game win streak as a "world record". They would rather say "longest win streak in baseball history", or something like that. The words "world record" are again reserved for an actual accomplishment in the spirit of the scoring system of the sport. Not for any intermediate streaks, IMO.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I think 8 ball is much harder on a 7 foot. Far more congested then on a 9. The only way to even the playing field is to lower the cushions, and shrink the balls (on a 7).

This is the reason that Corey can compete with SVB playing bar table 8 ball. Sure,it's a different game than on a big table. But it's very entertaining to watch.

_______

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What probably hasn't been brought into play with this discussion is this.
Pockets in those days were very BIG, nothing like a Diamond Pro Cut Bar Box.
The only other table that I know of that's a 7' that played like the Tight Diamond Boxes of Today...was the Irving K, those were about 4'' pockets.
Dave on a bar box with the big cue ball, is quite different than a LOOSE old school Valley buckets Box with Red Circle.
I'm gonna hang with Dave next wk in Tulsa, I'll see what he says.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it was a different thread, but there was a lot of bitching going on about how the 7 ft Diamond table had cushions that were too reactive. I'm watching this match on YouTube right now, and it sure looks like it playing okay to me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not a record. Dave Matlock not only won 28 straight racks, but he ran a 28-pack in doing so in bar table eight ball. That said, I don't think any feat performed on a bar table belongs in the record books.
I think it’s easier to run racks of 8-ball....at rotation, the player is hooked on the ball on much more often.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this a “run” as in running out every game while Sky never got to the table or a ”run” of winning 26 games in a row?

There is a big difference.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Was this a “run” as in running out every game while Sky never got to the table or a ”run” of winning 26 games in a row?

There is a big difference.

26 games in a row. SVB did an 8 pack during the 26 games.

Sky got back to the table a few times with only a kick shot. SVB locked him down tight for 26 games

_______

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I read it as a ten pack.

I'm pretty sure SVB had an 8 pack during the match and Sky a 7 pack.

The 26 games won in a row was impressive, but not a huge package. In fact two of the commentators had a bet on the high package with a line of 8 1/2. The under won the $100 bet.

EDIT: I just checked the stats page for the match. It does say 10 consecutive break and runs for SVB. But I swear that during the match they concluded that it was only 8.

_______

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just my humble opinion but running 28 racks of 9-Ball on a 7' table is a remarkable achievement. Running 28 racks of Eight Ball is other worldly! In my experience there have been many great bar table players who were capable of running ten racks of 9-Ball or five racks of Eight Ball, but we are talking much bigger numbers now. Just like the controversy over John Schmidt's run of 626 balls due to the conditions and other factors that may have favored him, the fact that David did this on a 7' table will cause many to downplay the significance of such a feat. I won't be one of them. I've long said that David Matlock was the best I ever saw on a bar table and I will repeat that now. NO ONE ELSE has done anything like that during the fifty plus years I've followed this game and it's top players. I've heard of twelve and even fifteen rack runs of 9-Ball and ten racks of Eight Ball, but nothing that approaches what David is credited with here. Record book or not, it is an amazing achievement by a great, great player!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure SVB had an 8 pack during the match and Sky a 7 pack.

The 26 games won in a row was impressive, but not a huge package. In fact two of the commentators had a bet on the high package with a line of 8 1/2. The under won the $100 bet.

EDIT: I just checked the stats page for the match. It does say 10 consecutive break and runs for SVB. But I swear that during the match they concluded that it was only 8.

_______
According to AtLarge, Shane had ran a 7-pack not an 8 pack. I tend to trust the man's stats and have noticed a number of inaccuracies with the digitalpoolvl stats

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe any serious pool player would pooh-pooh Shane's 26 game streak.

Isn't it funny how the thread started on Shane's 26 racks and then moved to praising Matlock's 28 racks?

Last edited: