What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

JC

Coos Cues
Huh? Not sure how to take this. ;)
I find it interesting that not a single person has advocated for playing to pocket E straight out from the end rail like the OP showed in his video.

This thread may be headed to the aiming forum :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table's fast enough, maybe. Going 2 rails, the extra spin will propel the ball giving you more reliable speed and of course the ball lands coming off the side rail instead of on it or worse.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the combined window for shots A-D is equally large and might offer more shot opportunities. Also, position on the 8 isn't risk free from anywhere.

pj
chgo

Sure the combined area for having a shot into A thru D is large, but it's definitely not equally as large as the window for E. And it doesn't mean much to have several pockets to choose from unless you happen to land just right for one of them that allows a simple path to the 8 without forcing the cb.

When choosing A thru D there are just 4 little windows in which to land the cb to have a good shot on the 7 and natural postion to the 8. Landing in between any of these little windows is just as likely as landing perfectly within one. However, landing anywhere in the window for shooting to E provides a good shot on the 7 and natural postion to the 8.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I find it interesting that not a single person has advocated for playing to pocket E straight out from the end rail like the OP showed in his video.

PJ showed it in post #74. I mentioned it also, that straight top works without having to use inside.

JC

Coos Cues
PJ showed it in post #74. I mentioned it also, that straight top works without having to use inside.
Sharivari did not use the second rail. Straight top takes you to the side rail.

I meant no one seems to be in favor of shooting it the way he did in the video as a first choice.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Sharivari did not use the second rail. Straight top takes you to the side rail.

I meant no one seems to be in favor of shooting it the way he did in the video as a first choice.
Right, straight top brings the cb off the end rail only.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The 1 rail option will certainly will work, but you are cutting it close in terms of potentially running in to the 9-ball or possibly ending up too close to the side rail if you apply a hint too much inside. The two rail option is tracking the cue ball away from the side rail after contacting it, which is a huge + factor for me.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Sure the combined area for having a shot into A thru D is large, but it's definitely not equally as large as the window for E. And it doesn't mean much to have several pockets to choose from unless you happen to land just right for one of them that allows a simple path to the 8 without forcing the cb.
Exactly what I meant back on the first page...lol.

Just because you can hit the 6 bad when playing shape below the 7 and still count on ok potting angles into other pockets, does not mean you can also reap the benefit of simplistic CB from those options.

JC

Coos Cues
Right, straight top brings the cb off the end rail only.
Depends how high and how firmly you hit it. Maximum high with a brisk hit brings the cue ball around two rails on top of it just like a lighter stroke with inside.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends how high and how firmly you hit it. Maximum high with a brisk hit brings the cue ball around two rails on top of it just like a lighter stroke with inside.
It’s all a matter of what we individually prefer. On this shot, to get the cue ball in the desired position for the 7 ball in pocket E, I’m actually more comfortable going high inside off 2 rails rather than trying to hit center ball and going one rail. I don’t know why.

I think on the center ball hit at the last split second I might accidentally hit just a hair of outside or inside on it, which would bring the cue ball off the end rail in a different direction than desired, whereas if I’m applying high inside, I know where whitey is going.

JC

Coos Cues
It’s all a matter of what we individually prefer. On this shot, to get the cue ball in the desired position for the 7 ball in pocket E, I’m actually more comfortable going high inside off 2 rails rather than trying to hit center ball and going one rail. I don’t know why.

I think on the center ball hit at the last split second I might accidentally hit just a hair of outside or inside on it, which would bring the cue ball off the end rail in a different direction than desired, whereas if I’m applying high inside, I know where whitey is going.
Here are the problems with this entire setup and thread. Sharivari presents this shot:

sit.jpg

However when I put a sticky ring exactly where it is shown in the diagram above for the 6 ball the angle isn't nearly the same to the pocket. Notice where the shaft of my cue is pointing on a real table using the edge of the cue. It's considerably on the opposite side of that second diamond than the phony layout above.

002 [1600x1200].JPG
And these subtelties make it almost impossible to compare apples to apples when delivering the exact same stroke. One layout you can come straight up table off the end rail with high and on my real life layout not so much. If however I move the six ball toward the end rail until it's line is below that diamond, never mind it's not on the x where the center and first diamonds intersect any more, the shot is completely different.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the problems with this entire setup and thread. Sharivari presents this shot:

View attachment 604460
However when I put a sticky ring exactly where it is shown in the diagram above for the 6 ball the angle isn't nearly the same to the pocket. Notice where the shaft of my cue is pointing on a real table using the edge of the cue. It's considerably on the opposite side of that second diamond than the phony layout above.

View attachment 604461And these subtelties make it almost impossible to compare apples to apples when delivering the exact same stroke. One layout you can come straight up table off the end rail with high and on my real life layout not so much. If however I move the six ball toward the end rail until it's line is below that diamond, never mind it's not on the x where the center and first diamonds intersect any more, the shot is completely different.

Good catch. Someone else mentioned this also. I just noticed the squares on the Sharivari table diagram are to small at the end rails when compared to all the other squares connecting the diamonds. Nevertheless, the shot is close enough to shoot it the same way.

JC

Coos Cues
Nevertheless, the shot is close enough to shoot it the same way.
Not really. When you lay it out on a real table like I did you do not have enough angle to drive the cue ball off the end rail and straight up table with high english without really pounding it. Move it one ball closer to the end rail where it would have to be in order for the line to point to below the 2nd diamond and it's just a smooth natural stroke like Sharivari does in his video.

So we are here debating the shot like the ten blind men and the elephant. All the while Sharivari started the thread never to be seen again.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a player must decide what is most likely to be successful -- getting the cb anywhere over there to shoot the 7 into E, which is a large window for position and leaves a natural angle leading toward the 8, or landing in a much smaller window for a decent shot into A, B, C, or D, and possibly having an off-angle shot on 7 and a more difficult position play to the 8.

With a few exceptions, I believe the more experienced players would choose the shot with a larger window for position and a simple risk-free path to the 8, while less experienced players would tend to play it the hard way thinking they were playing it safer because they'll have more options.
You nailed this exactly. I had a real good string of consecutive runs using the “E” pattern yesterday. I couldn’t come close to that consecutive string using the other options. Those other options are great practice though, during the course of the day I realized just how lame my CB control is in tight spaces. Those subtle slight off center CB hits are my weakness for sure.

JC

Coos Cues
You nailed this exactly. I had a real good string of consecutive runs using the “E” pattern yesterday. I couldn’t come close to that consecutive string using the other options. Those other options are great practice though, during the course of the day I realized just how lame my CB control is in tight spaces. Those subtle slight off center CB hits are my weakness for sure.
Good to practice you never know when there may be a blocker preventing going forward. Don't feel bad, touchy shots are everyone's weakness.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a big blocker but it's extremely hard to get blocked by it as the natural roll forward of the cue ball even without any inside will bring you clear of it out of that corner pocket. I set this up at least 100 times and not one time did I get blocked by the 9 ball. Some cuts steeper than I wanted but still very easy it just made it necessary to go two rails across and get shape on the opposite side of the 8 ball, but never hooked. Not once. You can manage somewhat long as you can draw it to the rail and down. Therefore the shape zone is huge and you're naturally entering it.

Did you do it on a 9’ or 7’.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums