Need help cleaning my balls

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And as of yet you haven't left a comment on why it's okay to use a product with wax and mineral abrasives....I.E. Aramith ball cleaner.
I don't care much about the particulars of what is in it. I have to assume they are making a product that will not damage the balls. I can tell you that they throw the same amount on shot 1 as they do on shot 30.

And like I said earlier, I cannot confirm nor deny that PlastX does or does not have wax in it. If it does, so what? So does the Aramith ball cleaner.

Look, I'm not arguing against Aramith ball cleaner. There are other suitable products to use on the market. And I'm telling you flat-out that PlastiX is one of them. Like I've said, I've had excellent results, and until you honestly try it for yourself, your opinion on it means nothing.
OK, so PlastiX works great according to you. Does that just mean they are nice and shiny? What did your throw test show? Oh, right, you didn't do one so in fact your opinion doesn't mean anything, either. I'm being pissy about this because a very good player on AZ recommended Novus1 and so I started using it and wrecking the pads in my ball cleaner with the stuff. Eventually, I extended Dr. Dave's trial to see how the balls throw after repeated hits. That's when I found out Novus was crap. I notified the guy who originally recommended it and he said, "Oh yeah I stopped using that stuff awhile ago." :mad:

I'm really not trying to make enemies here, just pass on the idea that "clean and shiny" is not what it is all about. Throw consistency is more important in my book. Maybe I should not have implied that PlastiX is not good to use, but by the same measure you should not be recommending it until you are sure it throws OK -- just like the expert player who recommended Novus1.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I've probably seen them all over the years. I spent a lot of time on his site. But not once did he ever mention PlastX. Unless I missed it.

If he proves me wrong, then I'll retract everything I've said. I would like to see him test the PlastX.

Update.... I just ordered the Aramith Cleaner and the Restorer. It may take a week or two, but I will video my results and post here.
Now you're talking! When you do the test it is important for the ball to rebound about the same distance so that you are sure the speed was consistent. Dave's actual numbers don't mean much for your specific conditions. I would expect your Aramith balls to throw very consistently. If they don't then you might be getting something else on the balls, which initially happened to me. Glad you are doing this. (y)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still don't understand why people are trying to reinvent the wheel. Use automotive products for their intended purpose and use billiard products for their intended purposes. Would you use Aramith Ball Cleaner on your car? Why not? Maybe because it might have an unintended affect? The tests on PlastiX could have the same results as the Aramith product. If it did, I'd still use the Tiger product on my ball sets (16). If it ain't broke, don't fix it; buy the right product for the job. Simple.

docgpmiller

I use Aramith Ball Restorer and Aramith Ball Cleaner and it is a super great product and cleans themselves easily and it is a great look afterwards as a bonus!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care much about the particulars of what is in it. I have to assume they are making a product that will not damage the balls. I can tell you that they throw the same amount on shot 1 as they do on shot 30.

OK, so PlastiX works great according to you. Does that just mean they are nice and shiny? What did your throw test show? Oh, right, you didn't do one so in fact your opinion doesn't mean anything, either. I'm being pissy about this because a very good player on AZ recommended Novus1 and so I started using it and wrecking the pads in my ball cleaner with the stuff. Eventually, I extended Dr. Dave's trial to see how the balls throw after repeated hits. That's when I found out Novus was crap. I notified the guy who originally recommended it and he said, "Oh yeah I stopped using that stuff awhile ago." :mad:

I'm really not trying to make enemies here, just pass on the idea that "clean and shiny" is not what it is all about. Throw consistency is more important in my book. Maybe I should not have implied that PlastiX is not good to use, but by the same measure you should not be recommending it until you are sure it throws OK -- just like the expert player who recommended Novus1

I'm really not trying to make enemies here, just pass on the idea that "clean and shiny" is not what it is all about. Throw consistency is more important in my book. Maybe I should not have implied that PlastiX is not good to use, but by the same measure you should not be recommending it until you are sure it throws OK -- just like the expert player who recommended Novus1.
I'm a player. It's not just about clean and shiny. I've played extensively with the balls using PlastX. And again no complaints from others. Ordered the Aramith products for a side by side test. I will do my very best on the test.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just make sure whatever you use go sparingly. Two drops is all you need per set. You get those carpets soaked and your likely gonna have to replace them.
Or, in the case of the diamond polisher: remove, wash, replace.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Just make sure whatever you use go sparingly. Two drops is all you need per set. You get those carpets soaked and your likely gonna have to replace them.
yeah people often say that, 2 drops gets spread over a few balls but not 16
carpet is easy or replace, or like mine the buffer pad is nothing really to change out

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
And if you read post #3, I already said that.

And Ford recommends you use Ford oil and filters in their vehicles. How many really do? Argue? All I did was recommend an alternative that works. And the negative feedback comes from those that have never tried it.
No, actually they always include a spec that the oil should meet, it will look similar to the following:

Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only to meet the requirements of FORD Specification WSS-M2C946-A and the API Certification mark. Your engine has been designed to be used with Ford engine oil, which gives a fuel economy benefit while maintaining the durability of your engine. Using oils other than the one specified can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

I did not get any such product equivalency notes with my polisher, balls, or ball cleaner.

Nyquil

yeah people often say that, 2 drops gets spread over a few balls but not 16
carpet is easy or replace, or like mine the buffer pad is nothing really to change out
Ya I have a single barrel so it's two for 6 or so they recommend. I use the paste though put a few dabs every third ball or so seems to work fine for me. I have just seen some vids were gents will slather that stuff in the loader. To each their own though.

Nyquil

Ya I have a single barrel so it's two for 8 or so they recommend. I use the paste though put a few dabs every third ball or so seems to work fine for me. I have just seen some vids were gents will slather that stuff in the loader. To each their own though.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, actually they always include a spec that the oil should meet, it will look similar to the following:

Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only to meet the requirements of FORD Specification WSS-M2C946-A and the API Certification mark. Your engine has been designed to be used with Ford engine oil, which gives a fuel economy benefit while maintaining the durability of your engine. Using oils other than the one specified can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

I did not get any such product equivalency notes with my polisher, balls, or ball cleaner.
I got to tell you that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard you say. You know damn well Ford RECOMMENDS that you use Motorcraft oil and filters. Do they say you have to? No.

Last edited:

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An industry pro told me to:
“An easy way is to mix a tablespoon of Aramith with a cup of rubbing alcohol shaken up in a spray bottle, it will be like a thin milky liquid. Start the balls in the machine and mist them over lightly with the spray bottle. This works well.

After running the balls there may be some dust left on the balls from the dried cleaner that is easily wiped off with a clean, dry cloth when removing the balls”

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An industry pro told me to:
“An easy way is to mix a tablespoon of Aramith with a cup of rubbing alcohol shaken up in a spray bottle, it will be like a thin milky liquid. Start the balls in the machine and mist them over lightly with the spray bottle. This works well.

After running the balls there may be some dust left on the balls from the dried cleaner that is easily wiped off with a clean, dry cloth when removing the balls”
Water would work too and help decrease the dust because water doesn't evaporate as quickly as alcohol.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 25 years ago Joe Porper told me Brillianize is the best stuff for cleaning pool balls.

I have been using it ever since. You can order it at www.brillianize.com
It is 99.1% water and the rest some kind of proprietary silicone chemical. I'd be interested in the throw characteristics of this product if anybody wants to give it a go.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is 99.1% water and the rest some kind of proprietary silicone chemical. I'd be interested in the throw characteristics of this product if anybody wants to give it a go.
They played 'normally' for lack of a better term. Didn't notice any cling/skid/throw difference. If there was any it was so little we didn't notice it. We used this stuff because it was on-hand. Not saying B'nize is better than A'mith just an alternative that seems to work very well.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have yet to test it, but a question about the Aramith cleaner.... why does Saluc recommend using the ball cleaner "after every game"? I mean really.... who does that?