What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
If a player sucks so bad that they play safe expecting ball in hand……..the opponent would have to suck as bad as them for that to have a reasonable chance. If that’s the case then smack the 9. It would take incredible luck for a sucking player to make a 3 ball out and there are 4 balls on the table!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That type of advanced thinking doesn't line up with someone who is uncomfortable running out with a very BIH like position. I would much rather the 450 play safe against me than attempt the runout. This conversation will never end since we're all discussing a hypothetical player that thinks like an "A" player but executes like a "C" player.

If anybody wants to bet even money I will cheerfully bet that a C player hits each safety too hard with no coaching. Just what they do, hit all shots too hard as a general rule. It just doesn't cost them as much on some shots as it usually does on safeties.

I have never seen a C player that played A safeties. Safeties were so frowned on that I saw a few A players that couldn't play better than C safeties.

Hu

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have never seen a C player that played A safeties. Safeties were so frowned on that I saw a few A players that couldn't play better than C safeties.

Hu

Imagine if C players, while developing the rest of their skills, got into the habit of thinking like A players when it comes to assessing low-percentage and high-percentage opportunities. All it takes is knowing and acknowledging your current limitations, and developing the habit of playing within those boundaries as often as possible.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine if C players, while developing the rest of their skills, got into the habit of thinking like A players when it comes to assessing low-percentage and high-percentage opportunities. All it takes is knowing and acknowledging your current limitations, and developing the habit of playing within those boundaries as often as possible.
This doesn't make much sense to me. In order to apply percentages to a given situation one must possess a
certain degree of knowledge, which most C players don't have. So taking what I highlighted above, these players are operating with a large amount of uncertainty lots of times.
In order to acknowledge your limitations you must first know them. They often don't. I also disagree with developing the "habit" of
playing within "boundaries". In order to improve, low level players should push boundaries relentlessly, even if the result is bad. JMO

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

One of the things the C player lacks is consistency. While a top player sees his ability as a pretty thin black line, the C player's ability is defined by a blurry line as wide as a cow path. There really isn't any getting around that the C player is a C player for all of his abilities including assessing his shot making. The C player with the smarts you are talking about wouldn't be a C player. Even an A player would have a very hard time calling the play of a C player simply because it is all over the place.

Hu

JC

Coos Cues
I slept on it last night after reading a few posts under my last one in this thread. As mentioned before I thought about it day & night and decided to play safe.

Well that’s out the window this morning, I’m feeling kinda gambley today. So I’m blasting the 9, I mite luck it in somewhere. 😁😀🙏🏼

Best
Fatboy

PS: it’s impossible to look at a diagram and judge the pattern in this case. Put the balls out and see for yourself. There’s 2 correct ideas, the rest are nonsense on a 9’ table with tight pockets.
Good luck with that there isn't even a good spot to ride the nine from. Not going to move it off the 6. Seven is too far away to really get it flying unless you can get around behind it. Even the cheesiest of nine ball riding lowlifes couldn't get lucky from here.

JC

Coos Cues
tenor.gif

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck with that there isn't even a good spot to ride the nine from. Not going to move it off the 6. Seven is too far away to really get it flying unless you can get around behind it. Even the cheesiest of nine ball riding lowlifes couldn't get lucky from here.
With the CB where it’s at in the OP moving the 9B isn’t happening you are correct.

Riding the 9 in ring games when your getting a good price on it can be very profitable playing C & weak B players.

Best
Fatboy

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This doesn't make much sense to me. In order to apply percentages to a given situation one must possess a
certain degree of knowledge, which most C players don't have. So taking what I highlighted above, these players are operating with a large amount of uncertainty lots of times.
In order to acknowledge your limitations you must first know them. They often don't. I also disagree with developing the "habit" of
playing within "boundaries". In order to improve, low level players should push boundaries relentlessly, even if the result is bad. JMO

During practice, push boundaries like crazy. That's how we expand them. During competition, playing smart means trying to stick to shots that you know you are fairly consistent at playing. And when it's a toss up between playing a tough safety or shooting a tough shot, go for the shot, and shoot it like there's no doubt you're going to make it.

Realizing/knowing your limitations is much easier than admitting/acknowledging them. It's not difficult if the player drops their ego and quits trying to play like an A player until they improve enough to actually play like an A player.

And it doesn't take experience to recognize limitations. All it takes is a few practice sessions. You quickly get a good idea of the shots you're good at and the shots you aren't.

For any C player reading this.... Practice is the time for learning and pushing boundaries. Competition is the time for performing what you learn. Play smarter and win more often during competition.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the things the C player lacks is consistency. While a top player sees his ability as a pretty thin black line, the C player's ability is defined by a blurry line as wide as a cow path. There really isn't any getting around that the C player is a C player for all of his abilities including assessing his shot making. The C player with the smarts you are talking about wouldn't be a C player. Even an A player would have a very hard time calling the play of a C player simply because it is all over the place.

Hu

C players can easily learn to think like A players. They can learn to spot opportunities, avoid pitfalls, choose the correct shot to play, etc... all in accordance with their current abilities, not an A player's ability.

As limited as a C player's shot arsenal may be, it's still all about making decisions based on the shots they feel confident shooting. It's that simple. Quit going for shots that cause you to lose and you might just win more often.

So I'm not saying C players can magically shoot the same shots an A player chooses to shoot, or that a C player should choose the same options that an A player chooses. What I'm saying is that a C player can THINK like an A player, which means playing smart and within their own comfort level/zone, based on shots they know they can play most of the time with confidence. They will still miss and make mistakes, but a good thinking process will help them win more often.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a C player 480 Fargo and I chose option E. I can see run-outs I just can't execute most of the time.

That'll come with practice and table time. Just try to be honest about the shots you're good at and the shots you're not. And during competition try to avoid the shots you know you don't play well or consistent enough.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the things the C player lacks is consistency.

hu, you been watching me?! ^_^

C players can easily learn to think like A players.

as a C player, I agree. I've tested myself watching pros enough to feel pretty confident about this.
but knowing the right shot is of course not the whole game..and I think that generally explains my inconsistency
I do tighten up in competition- play more strategic, because making *most* of the balls is not good enough, even vs. other "C"s
however I also haven't/don't play enough for me to feel comfy about not letting my offensive game flow out in actual games
I think just as I need to learn how to play tight, I need to practice running out in competition as well- not just at home
and of course, safeties require skill, too- I've missed them before, and I'm likely to in the future- not always a bargain
so- I play a mix, because I like playing safe, and I also want to run out- and if I miss any shot, oh well..
good thing I play for love, not money ^_^

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am old and blind, but I’d enjoy playing against people who are leery about this layout.

If you think this is bad, you are going to shake like a leaf after I leave you some places that will make this look like a hanger in the hole.

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's great to see how much you're discussing this shot. I read a bit through your replies and it's really interesting. I am actually going to use the results of this survey for an upcoming video. Going to be a big one. I even took the time to talk to 10 top notch professional players about this shot. Can't wait to hear your rections to that video :)