Shot Clock vs Time Clock like Chess

SlateMan

Registered
I think it would be interesting to see a game change from using a per shot clock to using a game time clock like in chess. You would still have matches that moved a quick as you wanted them to for TV. Just set each players time to the correct amount. Then each player could play fast to save time, then play slow when needed. Strategies could develop when your opponent uses too much of their allotted time. If you have five easy shots and one hard one, you might be able to spend a minute or two on that hard shot to get it right.

I like the shot clock to stop slow play, but every now and then a pro losses not because of lack of skill but lack of time to execute. I'd rather see their skill shown through.

Just a thought....

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would be interesting to see a game change from using a per shot clock to using a game time clock like in chess. You would still have matches that moved a quick as you wanted them to for TV. Just set each players time to the correct amount. Then each player could play fast to save time, then play slow when needed. Strategies could develop when your opponent uses too much of their allotted time. If you have five easy shots and one hard one, you might be able to spend a minute or two on that hard shot to get it right.

I like the shot clock to stop slow play, but every now and then a pro losses not because of lack of skill but lack of time to execute. I'd rather see their skill shown through.

Just a thought....
This has been done, it works well and is fun to watch. You Tube, Earl is good at it.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like it as long as you don't lose when you're time is up. Imagine you take a little extra time the first few shots and then your opponent keeps playing safe just to wear out your time... Maybe when your "time bank" is empty, you get 15 seconds per shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This has been discussed several times before including the possible penalties. I think it's a good idea and has many advantages over the traditional shot clock. Try searching on "chess clock" if you want to see the previous discussions.

SlateMan

Registered
This has been discussed several times before including the possible penalties. I think it's a good idea and has many advantages over the traditional shot clock. Try searching on "chess clock" if you want to see the previous discussions.
Thanks. I should have done a search.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember playing in a one pocket tournament in Louisiana at Lacy's cue probably 5 years ago. I think it was race to 2 or 3, and the match had a one hour time limit, and whoever was ahead at the end of that time won the match. It was easily the worst tournament I have ever played in. Whoever won the first game just turned the next game into an up-table chess match until the time expired.

Some ideas that sound good end up being pretty bad.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember playing in a one pocket tournament in Louisiana at Lacy's cue probably 5 years ago. I think it was race to 2 or 3, and the match had a one hour time limit, and whoever was ahead at the end of that time won the match. It was easily the worst tournament I have ever played in. Whoever won the first game just turned the next game into an up-table chess match until the time expired.

Some ideas that sound good end up being pretty bad.
That idea was obviously bad from the start.

Chess clocks work.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just a thought....

Issue with this is you need a time keeper and ref at each table. Doing time for the player is not very good for a game where you walk around a table to shoot vs a chess set you sit in a chair for and move your arm 5 inches to tap a clock. Say there is a clock between the chairs, is the time you spend walking to and from the shot counted? It must be since you can't hit the clock. So if you have a shot at the far end of the table, you now want to run to your chair to tap the clock and run to the table for your shot?

Also easy-e's post about the opponent deliberately trying to run out the time with safes is a good point against using a game time clock when the rule can be miss-used past it's intended results.

Shot clocks are probably best for a game like pool with a lot of walking, but even that means a time keeper at each table which most tournaments just don't have.

SlateMan

Registered
Issue with this is you need a time keeper and ref at each table. Doing time for the player is not very good for a game where you walk around a table to shoot vs a chess set you sit in a chair for and move your arm 5 inches to tap a clock. Say there is a clock between the chairs, is the time you spend walking to and from the shot counted? It must be since you can't hit the clock. So if you have a shot at the far end of the table, you now want to run to your chair to tap the clock and run to the table for your shot?

Also easy-e's post about the opponent deliberately trying to run out the time with safes is a good point against using a game time clock when the rule can be miss-used past it's intended results.

Shot clocks are probably best for a game like pool with a lot of walking, but even that means a time keeper at each table which most tournaments just don't have.
Last night I went back and read the other posts as Bob suggested. One cool feature of some of the clocks is a delay feature. You can build in "walk time". In other words, let's assume you take 10 seconds to get to the table from the time you hit the clock and 10 seconds from the time you finish your turn. You build in a 20 second delay on the clock. So when you hit your button, your clock doesn't start for 20 seconds or something like that. That covers the walk time that is different from pool vs chess.

I think as for the safeties, players generally take a LOT of time trying to aim safeties. I would imagine the player trying to play multiple safeties would also find themselves rushed in the game. They might sell out on a safety trying to hurry. Remember, both players are on the clock. I would be in favor of a fresh clock on each rack.

Personally, I think this idea would keep the game moving without being a game changer. Watching players jog to get a jump cue and then jumping quickly cause they only have 30 seconds is silly. They just shot 3 balls in 25 seconds, why not allocate some of that time to the difficult shot.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just a thought....
Imagine when they get in time trouble the mad scrambling trying to get a shot off and hit the clock. Sounds nutty.

SlateMan

Registered
Imagine when they get in time trouble the mad scrambling trying to get a shot off and hit the clock. Sounds nutty.
We see that now from players who are not slow but find themselves in a tough position and need a few extra seconds on a particularly difficult shot.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it as long as you don't lose when you're time is up. Imagine you take a little extra time the first few shots and then your opponent keeps playing safe just to wear out your time... Maybe when your "time bank" is empty, you get 15 seconds per shot.
You lose in chess if your clock expires. Why not pool? Keep in mind, your opponent is on the clock too, you just need to manage your time (if you stay under your opponent's time, you never need to worry about it).

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You lose in chess if your clock expires. Why not pool? Keep in mind, your opponent is on the clock too, you just need to manage your time (if you stay under your opponent's time, you never need to worry about it).
I think losing because your opponent is gaming the shot clock is against the spirit of any rule.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a guy runs out of time after running the table and only had the 8, or 9 or 10 ball to pocket to win the game or match
but his time runs out and his opponent still has 20 seconds remaining but he loses despite that his opponent was faced with a tough cluster of balls to break up and run out to win…….Duh……Yeah, that makes a whole lotta sense. Pool is based on skills and strategy. Just implement a 30 second shot clock with only 1 extension of 30 seconds per game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea of a chess clock. Most tournaments have no way to implement a shot clock for every match but certainly they could do a chess clock for every match.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think losing because your opponent is gaming the shot clock is against the spirit of any rule.
I would agree but (but) your opponent cannot affect your shot clock. If they are gaming, it runs up their shot clock just the same. For example, if the race is to 9, that should take an hour or so. Each player might get 45 minutes to use through that match. If you choose to take a few minutes on every shot at the beginning of the match, then you better plan on making that time up later on by shooting faster. Just like in chess, if someone uses up most of their clock, would it be cheating if their opponent creates really complicated scenarios to make them make a mistake because they need to rush? I'm going to say no. It's their own fault for putting themselves in that position by taking an inordinate amount of time earlier.

I'm not saying turn the game into speed pool (what a horrible thing that was), I'm saying make them play at a reasonable pace.

Year ago I played in a straight pool tournament. I played one guy that ran 70-something off my break...and it took him about three hours to do it. That was just ridiculous. Could you imagine trying to watch that as a spectator? On a side note, I came back and about tied the match...missed in my out rack to lose. This is the guy that ran that 70-something on me: https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/11865100/Patrick-Byrne He was slow on the table, but a hell of a good guy. Hope I made his ears ring up there by talking about him!. He probably smiled every time he thought of that run he put on me :)

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would agree but (but) your opponent cannot affect your shot clock. If they are gaming, it runs up their shot clock just the same. For example, if the race is to 9, that should take an hour or so. Each player might get 45 minutes to use through that match. If you choose to take a few minutes on every shot at the beginning of the match, then you better plan on making that time up later on by shooting faster. Just like in chess, if someone uses up most of their clock, would it be cheating if their opponent creates really complicated scenarios to make them make a mistake because they need to rush? I'm going to say no. It's their own fault for putting themselves in that position by taking an inordinate amount of time earlier.

I'm not saying turn the game into speed pool (what a horrible thing that was), I'm saying make them play at a reasonable pace.

Year ago I played in a straight pool tournament. I played one guy that ran 70-something off my break...and it took him about three hours to do it. That was just ridiculous. Could you imagine trying to watch that as a spectator? On a side note, I came back and about tied the match...missed in my out rack to lose.
My problem is them being up by two games and then intentionally prolonging the game to win on a technicality. I definitely see your point./