7 foot diamond ruining my game

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ya know, I never understood why they did that. Why is a 9 foot playing surface only 8 1/3 feet? Its like labeling a .357 diameter bullet as a 38 cal... or a .429 diameter bullet as a .44.
Because the table is actually measured from finish of rail to finish of rail. So 50" + 2" + 2" = 56" = 4' 6" wide × 100" + 2" + 2" + 2" + 2" = 108" = 9ft but subtract 4" for rails because there's only 2 end rails when you double the length .

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bar box has ruined pool in America. What's so surprising that it also ruined your game. Just claimed another victim.
That's a pretty bold statement and one that's easy to make if you have easy access to 9 ft tables. It's a 1 1/2 hrs from my home to a room with 9 ft tables and I don't have room in my home for one so I purchased a 7 ft table. I have purchased some custom cues, ball sets and a bunch of supplies.I support the game in any way I can. I wish I had a 9 ft table or at least ready access to one but that's just not the case so I guess you feel that only folks like yourself should play pool and the rest of us are ruining the game?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bar box has ruined pool in America. What's so surprising that it also ruined your game. Just claimed another victim.
If it wasn't for the bar box, there wouldn't be ANY pool in America. That might be an inconvenient fact for you, but it's true.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so what exactly is much higher quality about the gc3 than the diamond bb, and how exactly does that matter toward your playing level?
just curious
Hard to explain! Nine foot players just play better , learn to shoot better / faster … That is if the person wants to play better and puts in the time !!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
503. I’m by no means a great player or pro, but I’ve gone downhill since switching from the GC to the diamond.

I appreciate the way diamond sponsors so much for the industry, but unless you only play on diamonds, I feel like the difference from diamonds and all other tables hurts your game.
You're absolutely right because when players like you need 6" corner pockets, and 6 1/2" in side pockets to make you feel Ike you can play pool at a higher level, the DIAMOND table gives you a reality check, and let's you know what you're skills are really at, a beginner! So you'd rather blame the table for your lack of skills, I understand that!

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're absolutely right because when players like you need 6" corner pockets, and 6 1/2" in side pockets to make you feel Ike you can play pool at a higher level, the DIAMOND table gives you a reality check, and let's you know what you're skills are really at, a beginner! So you'd rather blame the table for your lack of skills, I understand that!
I don’t have any illusions about my lack of ability. My table is a Valley with 4.5” pockets,Ridgeback rails,Simonis cloth. The table is in no way to blame for my lack of ability. My only point was that sometimes it’s all that’s available to some of us. Thanks,Mike S

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to get butt hurt.
My point is that my skill level overall is going down because of owning a diamond instead of a gold crown.
My Fargo used to be 589.
My GC had 4.5” pockets and played great. This diamond is junk. Sorry you work for the company but the truth is the truth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No need to get butt hurt.
My point is that my skill level overall is going down because of owning a diamond instead of a gold crown.
My Fargo used to be 589.
My GC had 4.5” pockets and played great. This diamond is junk. Sorry you work for the company but the truth is the truth.
Millions of people would disagree with you, so what does that say about you skills going down because you're playing on a Diamond 7ft. I'd say of anything, TRUTH ran into FANTASY, and turned fantasy into reality, your skills aren't as good as you imagine them to be, period.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don’t have any illusions about my lack of ability. My table is a Valley with 4.5” pockets,Ridgeback rails,Simonis cloth. The table is in no way to blame for my lack of ability. My only point was that sometimes it’s all that’s available to some of us. Thanks,Mike S
I don't disagree with you at all. Hitting balls on ANY table is better than not shooting at all, BUT to blame a pool table size for your skills going downhill, is a cry for attention!

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree with you at all. Hitting balls on ANY table is better than not shooting at all, BUT to blame a pool table size for your skills going downhill, is a cry for attention!
Glenn,Please re-read my original post. I NEVER blamed my lack of skill on table size. I would play badly on any size table. I was only pointing out that all of us support pool whatever equipment we have access to.I love it when I get to go somewhere with 9 ft tables and,yes, I play quite badly on them.😄

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millions of people would disagree with you, so what does that say about you skills going down because you're playing on a Diamond 7ft. I'd say of anything, TRUTH ran into FANTASY, and turned fantasy into reality, your skills aren't as good as you imagine them to be, period.
So based on your advise, a high level league type players and below, should NOT buy diamond tables. Only great, pro type players should buy diamond tables. Gotcha.

You heard it strait from a diamond employee.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glenn,Please re-read my original post. I NEVER blamed my lack of skill on table size. I would play badly on any size table. I was only pointing out that all of us support pool whatever equipment we have access to.I love it when I get to go somewhere with 9 ft tables and,yes, I play quite badly on them.😄
I understand your post, not knocking on you buddy.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So based on your advise, a high level league type players and below, should NOT buy diamond tables. Only great, pro type players should buy diamond tables. Gotcha.

You heard it strait from a diamond employee.
Say what you want, but the truth is though millions of low level players play on Diamond 7fts, and enjoy doing so, YOU are the ONLY person who's ever complained about it pulling your game down....because you live in a fantasy world of being better than you are, and the Diamond 7ft is just PROVING that to you, accept it. And no, I'm not a Diamond employee, if you knew anything about me, you'd know that!

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millions of people would disagree with you, so what does that say about you skills going down because you're playing on a Diamond 7ft. I'd say of anything, TRUTH ran into FANTASY, and turned fantasy into reality, your skills aren't as good as you imagine
Say what you want, but the truth is though millions of low level players play on Diamond 7fts, and enjoy doing so, YOU are the ONLY person who's ever complained about it pulling your game down....because you live in a fantasy world of being better than you are, and the Diamond 7ft is just PROVING that to you, accept it. And no, I'm not a Diamond employee, if you knew anything about me, you'd know that!
I can’t speak for others and don’t try to.

I can only say from personal experience, since I traded from a GC down to a diamond, my game has gone downhill on any kind of table. I play every day. I’m a league player, skill level 7 in apa and Tap 8 ball. I’ve been playing pool for about 35 years.

the way you’ve turned this into personal attacks of me, your behavior seems like that of someone who makes a living installing diamond tables or something. 😉

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I can’t speak for others and don’t try to.

I can only say from personal experience, since I traded from a GC down to a diamond, my game has gone downhill on any kind of table. I play every day. I’m a league player, skill level 7 in apa and Tap 8 ball. I’ve been playing pool for about 35 years.

the way you’ve turned this into personal attacks of me, your behavior seems like that of someone who makes a living installing diamond tables or something. 😉
An APA 7 that CAN'T play on bar size tables, that takes the cake😅🤣😂

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss my GC3. The diamond bar box is nice for out at the bar, but for good play and good practice, this table is nowhere near the quality of my old GC3.
Here's my take, FWIW. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the table. A Gold Crown with 4.5" pockets will play easier than a Diamond with 4.5" pockets or any size. The main reason is the shelf depth; waaaay deeper on Diamonds. Another reason (in your case) could be the rubber. A brand new table will have more lively cushions than an older table. This will cause the pockets to play more difficult because the cushions surrounding the pockets will be more reactive. In both instances, balls that brush the rail with any pace would most likely fall on the Gold Crown but will rattle on the Diamond. Also, you may not be used to the speed of the table due to the new rubber. Seven foot Diamonds can be quite zippy and the table is most likely faster than your Gold Crown. I doubt very seriously your skill level has diminished but I would say your confidence has, simply because you aren't pocketing balls with the same frequency you used to and you are not controlling the cue ball like you normally do. IMO, stick with the Diamond and work on your game so you are hitting center pocket more often and are hitting the ball with pocket speed. Ball pocketing will go up and your cue ball will start to get in line because you are hitting the ball as hard. It's all about adjusting. In the end, you will be a better player for it. All this being said, I much prefer a well sorted Gold Crown.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here's my take, FWIW. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the table. A Gold Crown with 4.5" pockets will play easier than a Diamond with 4.5" pockets or any size. The main reason is the shelf depth; waaaay deeper on Diamonds. Another reason (in your case) could be the rubber. A brand new table will have more lively cushions than an older table. This will cause the pockets to play more difficult because the cushions surrounding the pockets will be more reactive. In both instances, balls that brush the rail with any pace would most likely fall on the Gold Crown but will rattle on the Diamond. Also, you may not be used to the speed of the table due to the new rubber. Seven foot Diamonds can be quite zippy and the table is most likely faster than your Gold Crown. I doubt very seriously your skill level has diminished but I would say your confidence has, simply because you aren't pocketing balls with the same frequency you used to and you are not controlling the cue ball like you normally do. IMO, stick with the Diamond and work on your game so you are hitting center pocket more often and are hitting the ball with pocket speed. Ball pocketing will go up and your cue ball will start to get in line because you are hitting the ball as hard. It's all about adjusting. In the end, you will be a better player for it. All this being said, I much prefer a well sorted Gold Crown.
Forget the pocket shelf being harder on a Diamond 7ft, it's shorter than a GC!