Best player ever for the cash?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets try this and have some fun.
There is a mystery player coming to town.
You have to put up $100,000 of your own money to back your horse.
You don't know what game is to be played.
You can pick any player from any era with no more information,no questions just pick.

My pick would be Wimpy.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is certainly worth mentioning that when examining many players of yesteryear, they were often shooting fish in a barrel, comparatively.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can pick any player from any era with no more information,no questions just pick.

My pick would be Wimpy.
Is fading the dump part of your question? :):):)

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Lots of threads and talk about who was the GOAT.
But who was the best for the cash?
Action not tournament playing.

Wimpy said Don Willis was but that was a long time ago.
I always heard that Hopkins didn't wilt for the cash no matter the amount.
What say you?
Minnesota Fats was spending 1930s paper money in the 1980s. Spending $1000 bills 40 years after they stopped being made is strong by any measure

MurrayNevada

Minnesota Fats was spending 1930s paper money in the 1980s. Spending $1000 bills 40 years after they stopped being made is strong by any measure
Always was curious about those $1,000 bills stories. I have read a good bit about him and consistent with stories about his life is that he was sometimes loaded and sometimes broke. Hard to be broke and not use those $1,000 bills you have squirreled away. And 40 years after they last printed such bills they became much more valuable than face value. Fats was too shrewd to hand over a $1,000 bill to an opponent when it may have been worth double that. Just my opinion though.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Always was curious about those $1,000 bills stories. I have read a good bit about him and consistent with stories about his life is that he was sometimes loaded and sometimes broke. Hard to be broke and not use those $1,000 bills you have squirreled away. And 40 years after they last printed such bills they became much more valuable than face value. Fats was too shrewd to hand over a $1,000 bill to an opponent when it may have been worth double that. Just my opinion though.

I have a ringside photo of him waving them around while playing Mosconi. He sold a couple to spectators for $1700 each

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a crime Harold Worst's story is not a movie yet .
It's likely been discussed with either whatever estate individuals still remain, or still-living relatives. Any savvy producer or screenwriter would know how to research exactly what details are known and how to dramatically arrange those, as well as -- equally important -- determine what is *not known* because that is the glue, the vital arena for the writer's inventive and creatively fictionalized scenes that logically and intriguingly connect the factual storytelling elements together.
-- No composite characters along with no probable cause and effect conjecturing = weak story and no movie investors.

The obvious evergreen theme is a true-life ultra-talented sports champion whose life and career is tragically ended much too early by an illness (as with George "Ginky" San Souci, Harold Worst himself and countless others).

And of course -- equally lamentable, true stories in the pool world -- real-life, film-able and marketable dramas with themes about any of the many superb players whose lives were sadly self-abbreviated . . . destroyed by devastating addictions.

Arnaldo ~ pain-in-the-ass knowitall

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would pick Alex Pagulayan
Of current people Alex is arguably the strongest. I’ve played him 50-60-70+ hours of high stakes backgammon and he’s a monster. I’ve had big leads on him more than once, he handles pressure good as anyone I ever gambled with. I couldn’t imagine playing pool with him-his Backgammon is strong but it’s not his best game.

Pool being his best game-God only knows how strong he is. I felt it playing backgammon plenty of times. Looking forward to the next time we play. He’s a gentleman to play as well. Class top to bottom. We never have a argument or disagreement he’s a great guy and has all my respect.

Best
Fatboy

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My pick would be Wimpy.
Jack Cooney would have to be on the list. He spent a lifetime successfully on the road. There is no greater money game pressure than that.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry you have difficulty with it. It means that just because they won that match doesn't mean they are better at holding their game in general compared to all players. It simply means they were better at holding their game against THAT opponent on THAT day in THAT match.

They might have played like ass but their opponent at that time played worse.

Jaden
Jaden do you wanna play me some , seeing how you like pressure games and action so much ????

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Jaden do you wanna play me some , seeing how you like pressure games and action so much ????
Sure I'll play you. I don't typically gamble though. What does me clarifying his statement for you have to do with me liking gambling AND pressure?

Jaden

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost impossible to say one was best $ player ever. There were various players who were the top $ getters of their respective eras. Like any other game/sport its pretty tough to compare eras.
I’ve heard very few if any would play Louie Roberts for the $ when his cocktail was right.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reportedly, (per Freddie Bentivegna, Bill Staton and Grady Matthews) Harold Worst played every cue sport at a world-class level and never lost a tournament or action match during his entire all-too-brief playing career (died at age 37 -- stunning friends and fans alike). Won international 3-C tournaments in several countries beginning at age 24 when was also at the top of his game at all pool disciplines.

Arnaldo
Everything I have ever read purports Worst was the best.
The man did it all and bet with his own money.
From what I have read, some of the best money players simply dodged him.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Depends on the game:

SVB playing winner break 10B
EFREN playing 1P and 9B with BUDDY being runner up playing 9B
WILLIE playing 14-1
TAYLOR playing bumps, JOHN B. runner up

All around Efren, Alex , Varner, Parica?????

Based on their prime