10-Ball BIG FOOT International Field...who will win on the 5x10 Diamond table?

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I'm pulling for
1633963929281.png

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
By the way, we began thinking like this several years when we were trying to find evidence that shorter players became progressively disadvantaged going from 7-foot to 9-foot to 10-foot tables because they could reach a progressively smaller percentage of the shots. I don't remember when we did this, but it was Alex who emerged as the top performer on the 10-foot table. Perhaps Alex's well honed skill was dealing with shots you can't reach or choosing patterns the lead to fewer hard-to-reach shots. We're now thinking the counter intuitive notion that being tall might be a disadvantage moving to a larger table.
Careful about generalizing here, Mike. Tall Irving Crane was within a hair of not-nearly-as-tall Willie Mosconi's speed on the ten footer, possibly even his equal. When they switched the pro game to the nine footer Mosconi, by Crane's own reckoning, instantly became far more dominant.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think length is less of an issue now with players so adapt at using the rake and/or pole vault length cues. an in-form alex can definitely win it but i'm leaning towards killer filler.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Careful about generalizing here, Mike. Tall Irving Crane was within a hair of not-nearly-as-tall Willie Mosconi's speed on the ten footer, possibly even his equal. When they switched the pro game to the nine footer Mosconi, by Crane's own reckoning, instantly became far more dominant.
That's not what he was saying. Mike was merely pointing out that judging someone solely by their height and attributing advantage based on that alone would be a mistake. It can come down to other factors...

Jaden

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That's not what he was saying. Mike was merely pointing out that judging someone solely by their height and attributing advantage based on that alone would be a mistake. It can come down to other factors...

Jaden
Thanks for that. I clearly misinterpreted it.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I would love it if they had the time to make this a Round Robin tournament!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see Dennis Orcollo's name on the list. He is only the hottest player out there right now. I guess people are so used to him winning that it's no big deal anymore. I put him right there with Filler, Gorst and Shane as the favorites. Lee Vann is the darkhorse as always. No one has to beat him!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Lee Vann is the darkhorse as always. No one has to beat him!
Corteza won the first of the 10-Ball Challenge events at the DCC, when it was played on a 9-footer, and has two seconds since it has been played on 10-footers (including in 2020). So he is kind of "due." But it's hard to think of him outplaying guys like Filler, Gorst, Shaw, & SVB when we haven't seen him playing at all for a long time.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I see Dennis Orcollo's name on the list. He is only the hottest player out there right now. I guess people are so used to him winning that it's no big deal anymore. I put him right there with Filler, Gorst and Shane as the favorites. Lee Vann is the darkhorse as always. No one has to beat him!
Yapp is on FIRE 🔥

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corteza won the first of the 10-Ball Challenge events at the DCC, when it was played on a 9-footer, and has two seconds since it has been played on 10-footers (including in 2020). So he is kind of "due." But it's hard to think of him outplaying guys like Filler, Gorst, Shaw, & SVB when we haven't seen him playing at all for a long time.

At that 2020 DCC Bigfoot where he beat Alex and Aranas and Filler and got 2nd, he also played both SVB and Dennis in the 9-Ball event and beat them both.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It eliminates "luck of the draw though".
I would love to see each one if them match up.
I was in a few in my Basketball days.
If they were going to have it be round robin, it would have to be a modified one. 4 groups of 4, top two of each group move forward, then two groups of four with two from each moving forward, then top 4 playing and top two duking it out for first.

Jaden

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. Lee Van is my favorite so I'm always pulling for him, but like AtLarge said, not sure how much he has been playing and the last time I saw him play he didn't look like he was taking it seriously like he used to. He's still not to be taken lightly... Spot the ball, let's play!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
svb if winner break

filler if alt break
Per the thread below it is alternate breaks. That never changes who is favored to win though, it only changes how close the score lines tend to be. If you are favored to win with winner breaks, you are favored to win with alternate breaks too, and favored by the same amounts. Nothing changes but the average score line.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alex, Lee Vann, Dennis, Omar, and Roberto are "short" by American male height standards, especially for athletes.
Gorst. Grabe, and possibly Kazakis are "tall" by those same standards.
But, height is not as important as the ability to stretch and maneuver your body into a comfortable shooting position.
I've seen Alex, Lee Vann, Dennis, Omar, and Roberto reach shots that seem "beyond their reach".
Bustamante, Parica and Efren were experts at that, also.