Most Under Valued Cue Builder

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a look at Gary Medlin's Gem Cues. They hit good and his veneer work is flawless.
Cues have great finish and he is old school-no CNC. Designs are well put together.

BigFish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to believe nobody has mentioned Ariel Carmelli - lot of cue for the money and they play great.

Reactions: CJH

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Most under valued cue builder

Hello everyone IMO Pete Ohman @ Omen Custom Cues is an under valued cue, I think his cue building skills are fantastic and they play out of this world. :woot::woot: http://www.omencues.com/

Last edited:

mmomike79

Registered
I bought a Jim vest last month and it plays better than my full splice Mike Webb and Sly. The craftsmanship is second to none. Beautiful Titlist veneers and razor sharp points!!!

roaddoggsteve1

Bob Frey by a mile. I grew up in Maryland which I believe has had the highest concentration of recognized cue makers here or that started here, Danny Janes & Bill Stroud started the original Joss cues before Bill went his own way with Joss West and Danny continued on with Joss cues. Mike Lambros, Black Boar Tony Scianelli, Tim Scruggs and Bob Frey. Look at the notoriety though. Joss cues went production and blew up, Bill Strouds works at Joss West have great value, Lambros cues are now priced up there. Tim Scruggs are valued by players and collectors alike and the most ponderous of all, Black Boars Tony Scianelli now gets upwards of 20k for some of his cues and while they're gorgeous to look at they play like dogs & always have. Now look at Bob Frey. He started at Joss, same as Tim Scruggs and they left and started Scruggs and that went through the roof but when Bob went out on his own his cues with the exception of a cult following has never received the attention, credit, reputation or $ for his cues that I believe he is due. I never understood this. I often thought it was due to Bob being Bob. He is a very quiet unassuming man who never was the self promoter that the others I have mentioned are but his work is superlative. The quality of it, how much of himself he puts into it and most of all just the sheer amazing playability of his cues IMO is far superior to those I previously mentioned who have garnered far more attention and financial gain from their work. It's really a shame, I've always believed he can give every one of the other makers from this area the 7 in cue building expertise. Scruggs are the only ones close in playability and Bob was a big part of that in the early years when those cues first took the billiard world by storm. He's definitely one of the most underrated ever IMO.

I agree 1000%. Many of the top local players played with his cues myself included, and NO ONE but Bob would ever do my cue repairs, Well maybe Teddy Harris, if he was in the area

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug Patrick who's shop is based out of olathe kansas . Makes a very nice playing and looking cue. I own 2 of them. Very nice guy to deal with too. And plays pretty damn sporty also.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug Patrick who's shop is based out of olathe kansas . Makes a very nice playing and looking cue. I own 2 of them. Very nice guy to deal with too. And plays pretty damn sporty also.

I would agree that Doug is making some great cues that a lot of the young guns around the Midwest are using.

I would also say that Josh Treadway of STL is making sone very, very nice cues.

Lou Figueroa

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Bob Frey makes great cue's and I do think he has enough recognition to get 500$ for his sneaky petes.

dave st.pierre

dave st.pierre
Madden cues

There are great players in the south west that play with madden cues. I would put the hit & workman ship against any cue builder out there. I am proud to own one !

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry -R- gets my vote. Great guy, great service, great playing cues. My second 26 1/2 conversion should arrive today.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gary Medlin/GEM Cues

Take a look at Gary Medlin's Gem Cues. They hit good and his veneer work is flawless.
Cues have great finish and he is old school-no CNC. Designs are well put together.

Gary has been one of the best cue makers in America for years. We locals have known about it, and that's why just like Gus Szamboti's Cues, most of them stay close to Home. In my travels I have had my GEM confused for a Szamboti,Schick, Mottey, or Scruggs. Even Tad Kohara walked across Hard Times Billiards in L.A. to take a look at it. Compliments,for sure. I might even bring it up to Wichita Falls to play with at the Junior Norris Memorial Tournament in June! If you own a GEM,keep it. I've had mine since 1993.