Any word from Dennis Searing....

middleofnowhere

Registered
I know lots of people who put $1000 down, I’m just one…..
This is often at the insistence of the customer. I guess they think in some way they will get special treatment. I sent payment in full to Balabushka thinking it would get me a cue faster, it didn't.

In fact, I later requested a refund when it was looking like I was never getting a cue. The payment was my doing, he didn't ask for it.

I was at Scruggs shop and ordered a cue. After we had it all worked out I pulled out a wad on money but he refused it. About 6 months later though he called saying the cue was being shipped.

Later on Scruggs stopped taking most orders all together. He said the customers were just to much to deal with, he was actually getting sick from the stress.

He just produced cues and sold them, in some cases through dealers. No more phone calls from customers asking where is my cue or changing the order for the tenth time.

• Sad
Reactions: LC3

JC

Coos Cues
Later on Scruggs stopped taking most orders all together. He said the customers were just to much to deal with, he was actually getting sick from the stress.

He just produced cues and sold them, in some cases through dealers. No more phone calls from customers asking where is my cue or changing the order for the tenth time.
This is a business model sane people are attracted to. It only takes one or two needy people to make a person try to think of a better way.

If you don't keep things fun it becomes just another ugly job you're not in the mood to do.

JC

Coos Cues
His shop he had in the Davie area had pool room bums who had nothing to do hanging around all day drinking coffee and BSing.

Not very conducent to running a business.
You telling me you would like this? I guy comes in for a $15.00 tip and stays 4 hours.

They could not tell the difference between hanging with Dennis at the pool room and showing up at his business socially. Nerve knows no bounds, some even wanted to do their own repairs using his tools.

I have a good friend of 40 years who does my gunsmithing. When I go there it is very clear you talk about what you came for and that's it because he is busy and this is not a social visit.
Sounds like my auto repair business if I would allow it.

We are all responsible for our own path in life.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Sounds like my auto repair business if I would allow it.

We are all responsible for our own path in life.
The guy who works on my cars has a two man shop. As well as we know each other when I go there I go in the office and talk to the girl and she writes me up.

If I do need to talk with him it is for maybe a minute. You can't run a two man shop and screw around. The day goes by fast enough as it is.

JC

Coos Cues
The guy who works on my cars has a two man shop. As well as we know each other when I go there I go in the office and talk to the girl and she writes me up.

If I do need to talk with him it is for maybe a minute. You can't run a two man shop and screw around. The day goes by fast enough as it is.
Congratulations you're eligible to be a client at my shop :D

middleofnowhere

Registered
Congratulations you're eligible to be a client at my shop :D
I actually don't know what I would do without this guy. I'm always driving older cars my truck is 30 years old. If you were like me you need a good mechanic to keep these things running.

In fact he has my truck right now I bought some new seat belts I want to get installed. An old vehicle like that has no airbags and I got a little paranoid about my lousy seat belts so I bought some really nice new ones.

Bringing this full circle back to the relevant subject of cue making. It doesn't take much imagination to see how Dennis got himself into this jackpot.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually don't know what I would do without this guy. I'm always driving older cars my truck is 30 years old. If you were like me you need a good mechanic to keep these things running.

In fact he has my truck right now I bought some new seat belts I want to get installed. An old vehicle like that has no airbags and I got a little paranoid about my lousy seat belts so I bought some really nice new ones.

Bringing this full circle back to the relevant subject of cue making. It doesn't take much imagination to see how Dennis got himself into this jackpot.

Careful! You can get banned mentioning jackpot and cue making in the same post!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Main reason I posted was to suggest you change shock absorbers on your old iron. As an old iron driver myself I have found new shocks work wonders.

Hu

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is often at the insistence of the customer. I guess they think in some way they will get special treatment. I sent payment in full to Balabushka thinking it would get me a cue faster, it didn't.

In fact, I later requested a refund when it was looking like I was never getting a cue. The payment was my doing, he didn't ask for it.

I was at Scruggs shop and ordered a cue. After we had it all worked out I pulled out a wad on money but he refused it. About 6 months later though he called saying the cue was being shipped.

He asked me, I didn’t offer $. On him 100000%

Dak21st

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
searings.jpg

Here is 7 I owned between 2000-2006. At the time I felt honored to own them and still do. I feel his cues hit great. But I will say I didn't know what I had and I traded and sold them away. Dennis always wants his cues to be what they are meant for " to be played with". I was in it for the $ at the time. I have been on his list for 15 yrs. and honestly I don't expect one nor do I deserve one based on my past. I can say if he would ever build me another I guarantee it will go to the grave with me. They are meant to be played every time you have the chance. Only my 2 cents worth on it all which probably don't mean S___ anyway .

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
His shop he had in the Davie area had pool room bums who had nothing to do hanging around all day drinking coffee and BSing.
This reminds me of that guy sitting in the corner of the barber shop, seemingly just hanging out and talking. Never understood that.

If I had a cue that was too damaged for somebody of Dennis' caliber to repair, I'd just cut my losses (assuming Dennis didn't charge for the failed repair) and get another cue from somebody who delivers in a reasonable period of time. As good a cuemaker as Dennis is reputed to be, I wouldn't want to bother with the wait. I'd rather order a Schon or Mezz and be done with it. I'd have it in a week or two, would be confident that any issues would be remedied in short order, and would spend the difference on lessons or table time. YMMV.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a searing shaft, it’s the best shaft I’ve ever had. Period. On a Boar.
(Edit: Searing shaft arrived.)

I have one on the way and it is supposed to arrive Monday.

I will pair it up with my Murray Tucker Sneaky Pete butt.

The collars won’t match…brown butt collar with checkered ring and black shaft collar with a silver ring.

Both makers are in Florida.

I will call this rig a Sneaky Bastard from Florida.

D7499606-A8D1-4D46-A3B8-BE38BA9A2F68.jpeg

C57522C0-0E2C-48C4-9817-6D4D54B520D3.jpeg
B2730CF6-4D51-4F7C-AACE-400A537876C0.jpeg

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 614692
Here is 7 I owned between 2000-2006. At the time I felt honored to own them and still do. I feel his cues hit great. But I will say I didn't know what I had and I traded and sold them away. Dennis always wants his cues to be what they are meant for " to be played with". I was in it for the $ at the time. I have been on his list for 15 yrs. and honestly I don't expect one nor do I deserve one based on my past. I can say if he would ever build me another I guarantee it will go to the grave with me. They are meant to be played every time you have the chance. Only my 2 cents worth on it all which probably don't mean S___ anyway .

This could be why Dennis lost interest in building cues. He wants to build a playing cue, all of his cues are instant collectors items. There is an old saying about cars, if it doesn't go, chrome it! Seems like Dennis doesn't want to build chrome safe queens. I can't blame him, I built a few performance items, they weren't meant to be buried away somewhere. I was happy to see them competed with every week.

Hu

Reactions: LC3

JC

Coos Cues
ive spoke to dennis last week matter of fact he is helping with something . he is damn tired of building cues and then hve resellers\lot lizards , and all the other folks buy his work and jack the price two to three times . we talked bout other means means of selling , time will tell but he is and will ,gotta remember pool cue makers arent rich by a long shot
change the way cues are bought thats from him quote/ ne might go mail order who knows , but he is tired of it
It's not that hard. Decide what price make you happy and observe the results. Next time that price may be more but being bitter over past decisions is not productive.

And some pool cue makers are rich. The ones with rich wives!!