Common mistakes a lot of average players make.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s a lot of them. Please try to keep it 1 or 2 so everyone can have a bit of fun here.
With all due respect. I was thinking about this. It’s the wrong idea. We all started off pretty weak as players, some of us have achieved huge success and became champions others never make it to a C+ level.

Having a bit of fun because someone can’t play isn’t a positive way to encourage new players. We need to encourage the weakest players to keep at it and realize their potential-where ever that might land.

Poking fun or making fun of a weaker player could discourage them at the cost of pool in general. I think that’s just bad form.

There are better topics to discuss.

Respectfully
Fatboy<———can’t play at all anymore(but I might go to work and fix that)

Let’s do what’s best for pool, together

Guddy

1. Don’t leave the tip on the cue ball long enough before starting their stroke and then….
2. Draw the cue back way to quickly and finally…
3. Don’t drive the tip towards the table on the follow thru.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Not knowing which shots require a firm stroke and which shots do not.

Sometimes I see all power players mostly. The other extreme being the Corey soft touch style stroke everytime

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This thread is like a free buffet of the best gourmet food, such a great selection of free idea, and information.

If this was the 1960’s 1970’d or before. Not much of what was shared here to lean would be offered so freely.

Enjoy the buffet of information, and than you to those who contributed.👍👍👍👍👍

Rusty in Montana

Another thing is to be respectful to the older players or don't get them mad before or during the game or you maybe sitting a long time ha ha

docgpmiller

This thread is like a free buffet of the best gourmet food, such a great selection of free idea, and information.

If this was the 1960’s 1970’d or before. Not much of what was shared here to lean would be offered so freely.

Enjoy the buffet of information, and than you to those who contributed.
Everyone kept any little bit of insight into the game close to the vest. Owners of the Pool Hall where I worked during the time I was a High school Student, were very sparingly giving out tips, tricks, training, and you had to observe and ask just a simple question and then observe again over the next month or so to pickup everything that you were curious about to advance your game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
1: Thinking they can run out every rack, despite the fact that their runout percentage might be 10%, which means 90% of the time they are not running out.

2: Establishing an aim line while down on the shot with zero regard for feet placement or body alignment.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think a lot of players do not slow down enoght to think about shot, we’re C/B will be at end of shot, and last planning the next shot before the shot is taken.

These simple mistakes in 1 pocket Is kiss if death, from holding your own, to loosing game.

Loose focus, you loose.

Pool Hand Luke

Scratching
Getting out of line or hooked immediately after getting ball in hand
Running out and then missing the money ball

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
With all due respect. I was thinking about this. It’s the wrong idea. We all started off pretty weak as players, some of us have achieved huge success and became champions others never make it to a C+ level.

Having a bit of fun because someone can’t play isn’t a positive way to encourage new players. We need to encourage the weakest players to keep at it and realize their potential-where ever that might land.

Poking fun or making fun of a weaker player could discourage them at the cost of pool in general. I think that’s just bad form.

There are better topics to discuss.

Respectfully
Fatboy<———can’t play at all anymore(but I might go to work and fix that)

Let’s do what’s best for pool, together
Tap Tap Tap

Wise heavy words full of iron my friend-

Take care Eric :)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Tap Tap Tap

Wise heavy words full of iron my friend-

Take care Eric :)
I'm going to go in the other direction.

I do not think this thread topic is in any way, shape, or form making fun of average players and common mistakes they make. I myself am an average player, and I myself posted a comment on a couple mistakes we (average players) make. It would be a wise and prudent action if an average player that endeavoured to improve their game (re: make less mistakes) would use this thread as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and LEARN from it.

As far as I can tell, I haven't seen any poster here making fun of anyone. Just making simple (and factual) observations.

I myself as an average player that often makes many of the mistakes that have been mentioned here, find this to be an interesting and educational thread that no one should get butt-hurt over. JMHO

Maniac

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it a failure to chalk properly or a lack of tip accuracy?

I think a lot of players gravitate towards center and become unable to draw the ball or apply significant spin with any sort of consistency or distance because when they even begin to approach the miscue limit, they're 50/50 on miscuing because their tip wanders from final pause to actual contact.

Could be due to a dropped elbow or a tightening grip, but something causes frequent miscues and then they become scared. And when they force themselves out of their center ball comfort zone, they're still likely to miscue because they anticipate the miscue, which creates tip accuracy errors by itself.
It is a lack of chalk. If they are guided to hit the cue ball well off-center, they can do that with reasonable accuracy, usually. There are also those that can't hit within a tip of where they address the cue ball but those are rarer. Many not-quite-beginning players have a tremendous fear of off-center hits.

The evidence of poor chalking is on nearly every table in the pool hall. If a hole is drilled down the middle of the chalk, the people who were using that chalk don't know how.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I'm going to go in the other direction.

I do not think this thread topic is in any way, shape, or form making fun of average players and common mistakes they make. I myself am an average player, and I myself posted a comment on a couple mistakes we (average players) make. It would be a wise and prudent action if an average player that endeavoured to improve their game (re: make less mistakes) would use this thread as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and LEARN from it.

As far as I can tell, I haven't seen any poster here making fun of anyone. Just making simple (and factual) observations.

I myself as an average player that often makes many of the mistakes that have been mentioned here, find this to be an interesting and educational thread that no one should get butt-hurt over. JMHO

Maniac
See your point, too- ofc.
My words towards Fatboy was 100% about its sense- and i liked it a lot.

but now to topic :) :

No responsibility- aka the typical pool player who s searching nonstop excuses.

technical: the list would be far too long. and you cannot blame someone, who never had instruction or "better players" around.

but the very first thing i would say: the Stance (and how to get "into" it) to build the stance "around the cue". Once that would be done, a lot things are so much easier.