Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is shooting like a machine, but the corner pockets are buckets and the table plays really soft.

He has made a thousand shots that would never go on any table in the pool halls where I play.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, that was just unfortunate. I'm sure some expert will say it wasn't and he lost control of the cue ball, but that was just shitty luck.
No such thing as bad luck if you control the run! It wasn't good luck that he ran the last 379 balls was it? Bad luck is just an excuse for a laps in control of your game, something to blame.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has so consistently left himself on the "follow side" of the break shot, it's incredible. Really a great thing to watch. I don't recall any under the rack breakshots, and very few breakshots with draw.

should be lower scratch percentage, but would need to see the stats to be sure. filler, svb, ruslan should take notice..

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is shooting like a machine, but the corner pockets are buckets and the table plays really soft.

He has made a thousand shots that would never go on any table in the pool halls where I play.
I have seen a few balls go in that wouldn’t have even contacted a pocket facing on our tables.

Nonetheless, an incredible display of 14.1 high runs. I’m learning just how little I know after playing this game for 50 years!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I don't know what he's going to do tonight or over the next couple days but I think sometime soon on some table somewhere he's going to do something extraordinary playing this game. He Is the best shot maker I've ever seen.
As crazy as this sounds, both Filler and Gorst may shoot just a hair straighter than Jayson.

Watching Filler play should be fun - he's got a fast pace.

Gorst, I dunno. He's not going to be flying through the racks like Jayson is probably. It's gonna be much slower and deliberate.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotsman Jayson Shaw, 2010 World Blackball Champion, will be up next to attempt 14.1 high runs at Street Light Billiards Academy in the Legends of Pocket Billiards 14.1 Challenge, perhaps as soon as this week -- exact date and time to be forthcoming.

Should be good : -)

Lou Figueroa
Wednesday is
looking good
Lou, just curious how the rack is prepared on this table and how difficult that would be to do? Is it a permanent template? I’d sure love to try it on one or more of our tables, and I assume it would rack just as well for 9-ball or 10-ball? Thanks

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if harriman and schmidt aren’t invited, i’d like to see
thorsten, mika, corey, and siming chen

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw’s break is wild. Steep angle. Cuts through the rack. Never threatens a scratch. Very different from what I see others do. I feel like others like the cueball and break ball parallel to the rail and often fire the cueball up table. Shaw likes it significantly more steep. I wonder if future players emulate it.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw’s break is wild. Steep angle. Cuts through the rack. Never threatens a scratch. Very different from what I see others do. I feel like other like the cueball and break ball parallel to the rail and often fire the cueball up table. Shaw likes it significantly more steep. I wonder if future players emulate it.
Earl played really steep breaks shots, too.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw’s break is wild. Steep angle. Cuts through the rack. Never threatens a scratch. Very different from what I see others do. I feel like other like the cueball and break ball parallel to the rail and often fire the cueball up table. Shaw likes it significantly more steep. I wonder if future players emulate it.
This is the most striking part of his play. He will often nudge perfectly nice looking break balls farther away from the rack and then work to get position just off the rail for the thin cut.

He doesn’t have to hit the ball that hard but gets a lot of action in the rack, meaning he can leave the cue ball in or around the rack and still get a shot because the balls have spread so much.

I don’t know how much this can be emulated because you need incredible end of rack position play to make it work. It also won’t work as well on tighter pockets due to the risk of missing the break ball.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I always thought players preferred to be on that side of the ball. I do at least - easier CB control and the balls seem to come apart better with follow.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played really steep breaks shots, too.

Earl seemed to try everything including frequently breaking from under the rack. But it also seemed Earl would play traditional softer 14.1 breaks where a safety is still an option, being cautious plays the percentages, and you’re prepared to nip at the stack often.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the most striking part of his play. He will often nudge perfectly nice looking break balls farther away from the rack and then work to get position just off the rail for the thin cut.

He doesn’t have to hit the ball that hard but gets a lot of action in the rack, meaning he can leave the cue ball in or around the rack and still get a shot because the balls have spread so much.

I don’t know how much this can be emulated because you need incredible end of rack position play to make it work. It also won’t work as well on tighter pockets due to the risk of missing the break ball.
You can take the steeper cuts when the corner pockets will take almost anything.

He has shots dozens of balls into the rails a diamond and a half down from the pockets and they get swallowed up.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It also works well due to the template they are using - the balls seem to break up very nicely even when the angle and pace is not that hard.