Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee ran 152. How do I know? Because she ran them in a match against me! Her previous best was 124, which she ran in a match against Mika Immomen. Both of these runs were nearly 20 years ago and both took place at the Amsterdam Billiard Club in New York City.

Yes, Stu, but I am not so sure there is any BCA recognized official women's 14.1 high run recognized like the men's.

One of the things we'd like to do is establish a no kidding women's 14.1 high run.

Lou Figueroa

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Do you object to players having the ability to make their attempts at the 714 record under identical conditions?
I hate the fact that the record tables are being dismantled right after the play! It makes the whole thing seem shady, but Schmidt did it first, so you should take that up with him, for starting this nonsense. If you accept one, you must accept the other.

What I'm saying is that I don't think the difference between a GC like in the clip and the "doctored" tables would make a significant enough difference in difficulty to matter, for a first rate player. Even in an extremely long run, where in essence every situation eventually comes up, I don't think you could point your finger at an instance of difference.

I played on tables like these before and it's hard not to fall in the pocket when walking past the table. The shelf is so shallow it's hard to make a ball hang up. If the ball is inside the pocket, it drops, unless something freaky happens. You need to REALLY crank the ball along the rail AND hit the ball as bad as humanly possible to even come close to jarring it. Come to think of it, you may need sidespin too or at least cit going the wrong way. I'm not really a tight pocket guy, but these pockets are really big, bordering on too big even for my taste.

So it would in fact be a much better thing to make new runs on these kinds of tables, as they are widely available, rather than replicating some custom monstrocity. Personally I don't feel this very strongly, but it's a good way to at least amend some of the controversy in a way that is not too difficult to do. Why not start now, it's as good a time as any, IMO. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love for the new record to be set on a Diamond Pro Cut. Unfortunately, some people just cannot be pleased and one should not even attempt it. They'd insist on tighter and tighter pockets until it was humanly impossible to break the record. It think it's borderline impossible allready on a Diamond Pro Cut, so it's a good way to keep the record from being broken.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know what happened to you. Seriously. Guess it was the whole Barton deal. Ever since then you've been a bit of an ass. I hate saying that too, as I've really enjoyed your trip reports and other stories over the years. Oh well. I'm done here.

Well, truth be told, you've pretty much become the same.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate the fact that the record tables are being dismantled right after the play! It makes the whole thing seem shady, but Schmidt did it first, so you should take that up with him, for starting this nonsense. If you accept one, you must accept the other.

What I'm saying is that I don't think the difference between a GC like in the clip and the "doctored" tables would make a significant enough difference in difficulty to matter, for a first rate player. Even in an extremely long run, where in essence every situation eventually comes up, I don't think you could point your finger at an instance of difference.

I played on tables like these before and it's hard not to fall in the pocket when walking past the table. The shelf is so shallow it's hard to make a ball hang up. If the ball is inside the pocket, it drops, unless something freaky happens. You need to REALLY crank the ball along the rail AND hit the ball as bad as humanly possible to even come close to jarring it. Come to think of it, you may need sidespin too or at least cit going the wrong way. I'm not really a tight pocket guy, but these pockets are really big, bordering on too big even for my taste.

So it would in fact be a much better thing to make new runs on these kinds of tables, as they are widely available, rather than replicating some custom monstrocity. Why not start now, it's as good a time as any, IMO.

We haven't dismantled anything -- the table is for sale but if it doesn't sell, there it will be.

Lou Figueroa

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So it would in fact be a much better thing to make new runs on these kinds of tables, as they are widely available, rather than replicating some custom monstrocity. Personally I don't feel this very strongly, but it's a good way to at least amend some of the controversy in a way that is not too difficult to do. Why not start now, it's as good a time as any, IMO. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love for the new record to be set on a Diamond Pro Cut. Unfortunately, some people just cannot be pleased and one should not even attempt it. They'd insist on tighter and tighter pockets until it was humanly impossible to break the record. It think it's borderline impossible allready on a Diamond Pro Cut, so it's a good way to keep the record from being broken.
What do you mean, Schmidt did it first? What evidence is there that John's table was "doctored?" I was at Easy Street Billiards right after the run and shot on the table right next to the 626 table. The Rebco tables were standard. The only questioning I ever saw saw was all the innuendo and nutcase conspiracy theory stuff on the Harriman thread. A significant part by some of the folks involved in this affair.

And, I agree, these guys not disclosing the pocket facing angles and then getting rid of the table right away certainly "makes the whole thing seem shady!"

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now everyone can see why I laugh at government PAOs.

Watch any briefing by Rear Admiral (Ret.) John Kirby, the Press Secretary for the DOD and Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, if you want to get a real laugh when you see him doing the spinning, deflecting, BSing routine.

Kirby reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, Stu, but I am not so sure there is any BCA recognized official women's 14.1 high run recognized like the men's.

One of the things we'd like to do is establish a no kidding women's 14.1 high run.

Lou Figueroa
Agreed 100%, Lou. Getting an official record would be time well spent. Two obvious candidates would be Jasmin Ouschan and Kristina Tkach, both of whom I believe can exceed Jeanette's "unoffical" number.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
lou responds to every single post and never says anything of substance.

yet he was the spokes person for this event. and all he does is beat around the bush hundreds of times in meaningless posts.

lou,,,,you are a good honest guy. if you want to be the spokes person then be it. otherwise bow out and let the rumors run. you actually make it worse with your silly replies. it makes the event look like a sham of some kind.

please dont respond to this one with a short sentence saying nothing of merit.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yet he was the spokes person for this event. and all he does is beat around the bush hundreds of times in meaningless posts.

lou,,,,you are a good honest guy. if you want to be the spokes person then be it. otherwise bow out and let the rumors run. you actually make it worse with your silly replies. it makes the event look like a sham of some kind.

His responses are childish and totally unprofessional for someone who is supposedly a trained public affairs spokesman.

His ADD-like obsession to make snide responses to every legitimate question makes me think of kindergarten kids for some reason.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lou is a tight rope walker and he’s good at it

isn’t azb basically kindergarten

many legitimate questions
will not be answered

is shady always a bad thing

lastly, i’d like to see siming chen
run 2000 on the grand canyon
pocket table before it is sold off

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lou is a tight rope walker and he’s good at it

isn’t azb basically kindergarten

many legitimate questions
will not be answered

is shady always a bad thing

lastly, i’d like to see siming chen
run 2000 on the grand canyon
pocket table before it is sold off

Yes..and some here often miss their naps and it shows.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

His responses are childish and totally unprofessional for someone who is supposedly a trained public affairs spokesman.

His ADD-like obsession to make snide responses to every legitimate question makes me think of kindergarten kids for some reason.

I don't know Bobby but what I have read he seems like a respectable person and if I was him there is no way in hell I would let a shady scum bag like "El Deflecto" be a spokesman about anything - not even taking a shit in a whore house.

The man is a shady scum bag.

@lfigueroa - I hope your eyes turned out ok, wouldn't want you to miss anything.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed 100%, Lou. Getting an official record would be time well spent. Two obvious candidates would be Jasmin Ouschan and Kristina Tkach, both of whom I believe can exceed Jeanette's "unoffical" number.

Yes, hopefully we can make that happen, Stu.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know if this has any merit or not but I cannot make everyone happy.

And the fact of the matter is that I don't lose any sleep over that. Some folks here are like pouty little children who, when they don't get their way, throw themselves on the floor kicking and screaming, yelling, "I hate you! I hate you!"

It's what it is.

Lou Figueroa

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great news. Can you point me to where the specs for the pocket opening angles are?
You should do your due diligence before you start slinging accusations. It makes you come off like an asshat.

See post #439 and many posts after that discussing dimensions.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You should do your due diligence before you start slinging accusations. It makes you come off like an asshat.

See post #439 and many posts after that discussing dimensions.
Thank you.

His being so insistent on pocket facing angle measurements has become ridiculous.

Unless he can tell me Mosconi’s table pocket facing angle measurements and Schmidt’s pocket facing angle measurements, pushing for the measurements of the table that Jayson played on is inconsequential.

If he wants to compare apples to apples, let him.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee ran 152. How do I know? Because she ran them in a match against me! Her previous best was 124, which she ran in a match against Mika Immomen. Both of these runs were nearly 20 years ago and both took place at the Amsterdam Billiard Club in New York City.

It is kinda nice when you push someone that is deserving to a personal best! I did that at a pistol match. Tough first stage plus no practice prior to an early morning match. I dropped three points first stage, a pretty ragged start for me. The man in first place had dropped one point less. I wasn't too worried, I had put the heat on him from early in a match probably a dozen times before and he had buckled. Not crashed but just a little flinch that let me claim first. This time I shot perfect every stage after that, so did he! I gave him sincere congratulations.

On the way home I told my riding partner that I thought I had pushed him to a personal best, my second place finish would have won most any other time. The winner was a nice guy and an honest competitor. I couldn't feel too bad about that second place as long as it didn't get to be a habit! The man came up to me at the next match and without me mentioning the win or it being a personal best for him, he told me it had been after many years of shooting.
Now everyone can see why I laugh at government PAOs.

Watch any briefing by Rear Admiral (Ret.) John Kirby, the Press Secretary for the DOD and Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, if you want to get a real laugh when you see him doing the spinning, deflecting, BSing routine.

Kirby reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

I hadn't thought of Baghdad Bob in years. I was rooting for him to survive and get his own talk show.

Hu