Rasson vs Diamond Tables

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Don't overanalyze.

If you set any table up well on a stable floor and environment, it stays level.
Better to be overly critical then to assume the best. A case in point my home table. Which sits on an engineered hard floor floating on concret. That table was left in place for weeks before being leveled over the course of days using a combination of a theodolite and of course machinist levels. Slates were brought true to one another using ~>1" wide shims, (6 per slate section). Over the course of a year or two the shims 'settled' into the frame and slight drifts appeared.

Were the drifts 'bad'...?..., well that's a matter of perspective. Was it on a stable floor / environment, but manage to come out of level...?..., definitely yes.

Next time around I'll be using jacking screws in the appropriate locations, and float the slate.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better to be overly critical then to assume the best. A case in point my home table. Which sits on an engineered hard floor floating on concret. That table was left in place for weeks before being leveled over the course of days using a combination of a theodolite and of course machinist levels. Slates were brought true to one another using ~>1" wide shims, (6 per slate section). Over the course of a year or two the shims 'settled' into the frame and slight drifts appeared.

Were the drifts 'bad'...?..., well that's a matter of perspective. Was it on a stable floor / environment, but manage to come out of level...?..., definitely yes.

Next time around I'll be using jacking screws in the appropriate locations, and float the slate.
When I lived in Michigan I played on my GC4 on a concrete floor in the basement for a few years. We had an engendered hard wood floating floor installed on top of that 3-1 moisture barrier. It felt a little funny walking on it. Good thing my GC4 had those bearing plates under the legs, it made tweaking the legs easy. The slates never moved though.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
When I lived in Michigan I played on my GC4 on a concrete floor in the basement for a few years. We had an engendered hard wood floating floor installed on top of that 3-1 moisture barrier. It felt a little funny walking on it. Good thing my GC4 had those bearing plates under the legs, it made tweaking the legs easy. The slates never moved though.
For sake of full disclosure. My table is furniture grade, so it's no where near as robust as any GC or Diamond for the matter. I only meant to point out that properly leveled tables on a stable floor can still develop drifts. All leveling systems/methods are not created equal

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No - I did not mean an Olhausen - I have noticed this on all Diamond tables. I thought it was just me but I heard a couple of our top ranked players say the same thing. I did not mean to make it sound like it was a big issue with the table. As I said in my original post I think Diamond are great tables and there is very little difference in playability with the Rasson. The reason I think Rasson is better is the way they are made - the aluminum bed with built in levels instead of shims, the Rasson's have almost 1/4 inch thicker slate and they use Klematch cushions. And while looks is not one of the most important things for a pool table I still say Diamonds look cheap and ugly - no contest against the Rasson.
And the Rasson 9fts have the worst designed rails I've ever seen, good luck having the cloth replaced on them more than 10 times without having to rebuild the rails.

dfaulkner

Boy, you guys are sure defensive about your Diamond tables. I have already said I think they are great tables so you don't have to defend them to me. Like most people I think China makes cheap products and I figured the same for their pool tables until I saw them at some big events like the Mosconi Cup and did some research on them. Since Rasson did not have any dealers in the US until recently I figured a lot of forum members would not have played on one. I just thought an honest review from someone who owns a Rasson and plays on it every day might be helpful to those members who were thinking of getting one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy, you guys are sure defensive about your Diamond tables. I have already said I think they are great tables so you don't have to defend them to me. Like most people I think China makes cheap products and I figured the same for their pool tables until I saw them at some big events like the Mosconi Cup and did some research on them. Since Rasson did not have any dealers in the US until recently I figured a lot of forum members would not have played on one. I just thought an honest review from someone who owns a Rasson and plays on it every day might be helpful to those members who were thinking of getting one.
When somone who's worked on tables as long as RKC makes the statements he does he usually knows what he's talking about. MR uses them because Rasson management/owners pay them for the right. SVB has one because he's sponsored by them and its free. I've only seen one in Texas but didn't hit a ball on it. As long as Diamond is in business i'd never even consider one.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I loved the OX I played on, banked more like a GC than a DIamond, but, yet still had the Pro cut pocket and deep shelf.
The engineering is good. Vibration is a concern. They seem to have taken some events away from Diamond. What ever Rasson is doin seems to be working for them. Competition in business is Good. Predator, Rasson and Diamond are all making a table with a similar pocket. I am sure good ole Brunswick will come into play here soon! Life is good :)

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
As I said it is the opinion of someone who owns a Rasson and plays on it every day not someone who hasn't hit a ball on one. I wanted to give the members a more informed opinion.
This is solid post sir. :)
274294471_1550263262009429_9083134053256712327_n.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
On the Diamond web site it says 1 inch thick on Pro-Am - that is 25mm.
And what did I say? 61 9ft one piece slates 30mm thick, right? I just installed 3 more 9ft Diamond ProAms at Brothers Billiards in Billings, MT. 2 had 1" thick one piece slates, and one had a one piece 30mm slate, I know for a fact, I set them down by myself, my first indication there's something different is how heavy the table is when I lower it down to the legs, and then I check the thickness of the slate on the one that made me feel like I was about to break my back as I lowered it down, YEP 30mm slate!