Rasson vs Diamond Tables

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what did I say? 61 9ft one piece slates 30mm thick, right? I just installed 3 more 9ft Diamond ProAms at Brothers Billiards in Billings, MT. 2 had 1" thick one piece slates, and one had a one piece 30mm slate, I know for a fact, I set them down by myself, my first indication there's something different is how heavy the table is when I lower it down to the legs, and then I check the thickness of the slate on the one that made me feel like I was about to break my back as I lowered it down, YEP 30mm slate!
How do you compensate for the difference? Since the rails bolt to the slate, and the slate is thicker, does that change some other dimension?

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a side note: Rasson claims they sell 20,000 tables per year. I doubt Diamond or anyone else can match that.

Yeah, but they're not Rassons. Rasson is a slate quarry with a vast factory attached (like half a million square feet) in Jiujiang City out on the Yangtze River, that makes OEM tables, mostly low-end, that are re-marketed around the world under all sorts of names. It's not like they're making 20k high-end Diamond competitors. On the other hand, the mass market OEM and slate business can subsidize the high-end tables, theoretically.

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the rasson ox tables i played with at the local pool hall have weird bounce from the rails.. not sure if its just an isolated case, but i would prefer diamonds based on my limited humble experience...

telinoz

Registered
These are appearing in Australia over the last few years.
Just in private homes, no poolhalls.
A few in Sydney, but I don't know these people well enough... Yet, to get a go on one.

This thread has been an interesting read.
Once I do get a go, the comments around vibration issues with Rasson, I will see for myself.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Are there any rooms in the US with Rasson tables?

Regardless, IMO, the only way they could overtake Diamond is to sponsor a big event like the DCC.

Lou Figueroa
why not?
Bangin Balls Billiards in Vegas has all Rasson tables. I believe it is more like a showroom, they sell Rasson tables:

-dj

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bangin Balls Billiards in Vegas has all Rasson tables. I believe it is more like a showroom, they sell Rasson tables:

-dj
It’s not a show room. Half the room has 7’ers the other half 9’era. I played in a 9 ball tournament there and practiced a few times. Nice place and the OX tables played well. I personally wouldn’t buy one though

pw98

Registered
I was just thinking about this thread. At a local pool hall the Diamond Red Labels have been changing their level all summer due to humidity. Last winter they had pretty much no rolls and now roll all over. I'm assuming when winter comes they will become level again. I'm also assuming with the metal frame and metal leveling system this wont happen.

So at this point I think the whole idea of this is for humid environments where level changes with the weather.

TrxR

It’s not a show room. Half the room has 7’ers the other half 9’era. I played in a 9 ball tournament there and practiced a few times. Nice place and the OX tables played well. I personally wouldn’t buy one though
What don't you like about them that you wouldn't buy one?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What don't you like about them that you wouldn't buy one?
One room in the whole country that I know of has Rasson tables. I’m not buying one when no where else I’ll be playing on them.

I’m not convinced that some skinny ass aluminum frame is better than epoxy impregnated beams.

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look closely the company that makes Rasson has been making table parts for Brunswick for many years. The basically stole the best parts of both Brunswick and Diamond tables and incorporated then into their product. BTW who would support cheap Chinese labor over american jobs?

Technically all of us. I recall reading about a family that tried to go a whole year without buying anything made in China and...failed. They couldn't do it. I also read that if Walmart were a separate nation, it would be China's ninth-largest trading partner. We all support cheap Chinese labor over American jobs, like it or not.

We can choose when it comes to pool tables though. A. E. Schmidt, Diamond, Golden West, Olhausen, and Connelly/Valley-Dynamo are the Big Five American-made mass-market pool table brands (there are a number of small bespoke makers and restorers too).

Last edited:

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamonds are awesome, majestic almost, really look and feel like a tank
fair to say though, they could use some updates, website too

Thanks for saying that. Diamond's website frustrates me. I want more cool pictures and more to drool over. They haven't changed anything in years and years. It's beyond stale.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for saying that. Diamond's website frustrates me. I want more cool pictures and more to drool over. They haven't changed anything in years and years. It's beyond stale.
You got to love Diamond's up to date page for its Pro/AM.

How many years ago was it the Dymondwood factory burn down?

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.46.16 AM.png

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly the lady that owns it said she was the only Rasson dealer in the U.S.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the Rasson 9fts have the worst designed rails I've ever seen, good luck having the cloth replaced on them more than 10 times without having to rebuild the rails.
I cannot understand any comparison made to a Diamond (Rasson is not even close). My opinion

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly the lady that owns it said she was the only Rasson dealer in the U.S.
Ft. Worth Billiards is a dealer. They had an OX table on the showroom floor.

Bangin Balls is the only room that I know of that has more than one Rasson table.
Oops, there’s a room In Seattle that also has a room full of them.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a brick and mortar spa/table/entertainment dealer in Atlanta last year and saw a Rasson table there. It was positioned as the top of the line table in the store.
I don't go into very many of those places. The few I have been in only had furniture tables. Always hoped to see a Diamond or a Gold Crown.

Trying to think of when I was at bb? It was around the time they first opened up. A year or two ago. The tables there were really nice. Time flies.