Wood shafts ?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I buy shaft blanks........ hang them for 2 weeks............ cut them to .600 at the tip.......... hang them for 2 weeks............ then I make shafts................... never had a reject..................... I only buy AA tapered shaft blanks from Cue Stock

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Searing hands down has the best shaft wood.

Eric Crisp Sugar Tree is a very close 2nd

Barry Szam has some great shafts too but those really aren’t available at this point.

Manufactured cues, Mezz shafts are good

That’s been my experience.

Thing is luck plays a part in getting a great shaft. I’ve owned 100’s of them and any brand of cue can have a amazing shaft if you get lucky. Good wood just happens……
Eric Crisp

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find myself eating massive quantities of popcorn reading many threads on this forum. So much of this stuff is new to me…I had no idea so much goes into cue building till I started hanging out with you guys.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Who, makes the BEST wooden shafts? I realize that the shaft/ferrule/cue tip is the
bit that is where the rubber meets the road so-to-speak. The butt mainly being the
engine that powers the vehicle as it were.
A few years ago there was a lot of talk going on about a certain shaft that one of
the Pros was using Chinakhov (sp?), I think it was. Not sure of the Tourney.

Just had to ask.

hank
In my opinion… Dennis Searing. I’ll also put Tascarella up there also.

Other than that, I steer people toward Richard Hsu.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll add Bill Schick’s name to the list. I own 5 of his shafts. Very stiff taper but not dead at all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion… Dennis Searing. I’ll also put Tascarella up there also.

Other than that, I steer people toward Richard Hsu.
What are the chances of ever getting a DS shaft? Zero most likely. Wouldn't get out of the electric chair to give that nit a quarter. Hsu is a good guy for sure. Very responsive to questions/messages. Bob Owen and C. Nitti make fine shafts also. Stand up guys too.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the chances of ever getting a DS shaft? Zero most likely. Wouldn't get out of the electric chair to give that nit a quarter. Hsu is a good guy for sure. Very responsive to questions/messages. Bob Owen and C. Nitti make fine shafts also. Stand up guys too.
Probably as close as dukedude getting a DZ shaft..

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The question could be who has the best wood shaft taper, ferrule and joint. The wood itself pretty much decides the rest. Is tight grain what you are looking for? Or is it dark heavier weighted wood? Or 1800s maple boards turned into shafts? Laminated wood? Pretty white with no sugar lines? There are only a handful of cuemakers that have turned more shaft wood than I have. I have turned all the above types and my preference is tight grain and fairly clean looking. I normally only build finished shafts for my brand cues, so don't try to order a shaft. I only sell blanks and dowels for other brands. I have seen some ugly shaft wood that played great, but since I have the luxury of choosing the type of wood I like for my cues, I have not built shafts with every kind of wood I have turned. I am still undecided on the 1800's boards. Not the Great Lake wood brought up off the bottom of the lake in sunken log form. But real aged maple boards salvaged from old buildings built in the 1800s. The stuff is dark and seems to stay straight while turning it. Steve Klapp got his guy to sell me some of it back when he was doing that. I have sold a few blanks from it, but never built a shaft with it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Who, makes the BEST wooden shafts? I realize that the shaft/ferrule/cue tip is the
bit that is where the rubber meets the road so-to-speak. The butt mainly being the
engine that powers the vehicle as it were.
A few years ago there was a lot of talk going on about a certain shaft that one of
the Pros was using Chinakhov (sp?), I think it was. Not sure of the Tourney.

Just had to ask.

hank

Maybe a better question is who uses the best quality wood when making their shafts? That seems like it would be a more fair and answerable question since who makes the "best shafts" is very much an opinion based on how a player likes the hit of the shaft and how it deflects, in addition to personal cue maker favoritism coming into play. I guess you can go by how carefully and how long it takes for someone to make a shaft, but even then that may not be everything that makes a shaft a good one.

At least wood quality is more or less a known science, but even then when making shafts out of them some people want denser woods, some want a lighter wood.