2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

Stevexjfe

Let's dream a little. If FSR wins at the Rio later this month, he'll be the reigning World 8-ball, World 9-ball and World 10-ball champion. What a historic run he's on. Sit back and enjoy the show.
Wu has been the closest player to winning WPA World Championship's in three different disciplines, when he narrowly lost to Darren 13-11, in the final of the World 10-Ball in 2008. It would be quite an achievement if Ruiz could do it. A Hall of Fame resume in the space of 14 months is almost unimaginable, up until now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If pool, like golf, had a grand slam, it would likely be the simultaneous holding of these four titles:

US Open 9-ball
World 8-ball
World 9-ball
World 10-ball

Right now, FSR holds three of these titles, and if he wins the World 10-ball a few weeks from now, he'll hold all four and I'll call it a grand slam.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
If pool, like golf, had a grand slam, it would likely be the simultaneous holding of these four titles:

US Open 9-ball
World 8-ball
World 9-ball
World 10-ball

Right now, FSR holds three of these titles, and if he wins the World 10-ball a few weeks from now, he'll hold all four and I'll call it a grand slam.
Pretty good assessment.

Hard to throw 8ball in there without 1P and 14.1 imo
I see more pros playing those games than 8ball.
Of course I do not attend events like you do so...

Regarding FSR and 10ball -He won't

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pretty good assessment.

Hard to throw 8ball in there without 1P and 14.1 imo
I see more pros playing those games than 8ball.
Of course I do not attend events like you do so...

Regarding FSR and 10ball -He won't
I included only WPA sanctioned world championships in my list, so one pocket and 14.1 don't make the cut.

Still, you raise a good point, as my four "grand slam" events would constitute no more than the "grand slam of rotation pool."

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the pro player today that plays with the most emotion and joy is Roberto Gomez. If Soufi is another like Gomez, it's to pro pool's advantage.

Soufi was a blast though I think more likely flash in the pan. Still gonna watch him when I get a chance. Can't forget about Naoyuki Oi when talking about emotion and joy at the table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wu has been the closest player to winning WPA World Championship's in three different disciplines, when he narrowly lost to Darren 13-11, in the final of the World 10-Ball in 2008. It would be quite an achievement if Ruiz could do it. A Hall of Fame resume in the space of 14 months is almost unimaginable, up until now.
Yes, but due respect to Ralf Souquet, 1996 World 9-ball Champion, 2008 World 8-ball Champion, and 2000 US Open 14.1 champion. The 2000 USA Open, as the toughest 14.1 field of the year by far, was viewed as a de facto World Championship. At very least, Ralf won a WPA sanctioned major in three different disciplines.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

US Open 9-ball
World 8-ball
World 9-ball
World 10-ball

That's a valid call. He would hold all 4 titles simultaneously, and have a career grand slam, but not a calendar-year grand slam. As to the possibility of the calendar-year version, I don't know whether the 8-Ball event is even being held this year.

Stevexjfe

Yes, but due respect to Ralf Souquet, 1996 World 9-ball Champion, 2008 World 8-ball Champion, and 2000 US Open 14.1 champion. The 2000 USA Open, as the toughest 14.1 field of the year by far, was viewed as a de facto World Championship. At very least, Ralf won a WPA sanctioned major in three different disciplines.
I think the 2000 US Open would be a BCA Major, really tough field but the 2000 14.1 Championship first places prize was $15,000, whereas the U.S Open 9-Ball was $50,000 the same year.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My ideal "Grand Slam" would consist of

U. S. Open Nine Ball
World Pool Championship
and then whatever Bigfoot 10 Ball and One Pocket tournaments could attract the biggest international field.

Obviously this is based on nothing but a personal preference for rotation games and one pocket, along with an indifference to 8 Ball and 14.1.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's possible the world 10-ball will have an even tougher field. fedor, raga, biado etc. the ruiz triple whammy isn't impossible but it is improbable

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t imagine the WPA 8 or WPA 10 ball having a tougher field than the WPA 9 ball WC. Because the 9 ball is Matchroom. Everyone and their brother will want to play in a MR event.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t imagine the WPA 8 or WPA 10 ball having a tougher field than the WPA 9 ball WC. Because the 9 ball is Matchroom. Everyone and their brother will want to play in a MR event.
Just adding Fedor makes it a tougher field for anyone who draws him.

I honestly can live without 8 ball. I know many here really like it, but I think the ship has sailed for 8 ball on American style pool tables. Let Predator continue to tweak their 10 Ball Series and Matchroom run with 9 Ball and I'll be in heaven as a fan.

For as phenomenal as Matchroom's production has been, Predator is right there with them. We are on the cusp of an amazing professional tour.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Using current Las-Vegas Open entrants as a proxy for World 10-Ball a couple days later, here is a comparison of the "above 790" players in World 8-Ball, World 9-Ball, and (tentative) World 10-Ball.

It's not hard to imagine Shaw and Feijen showing up for World 10-Ball even if they don't play Las Vegas Open. If they do, World 10-Ball will be the strongest field we've seen in a while. Regardless, the big three here are not all that different.
1675784091982.png

Monti

I honestly can live without 8 ball. I know many here really like it, but I think the ship has sailed for 8 ball on American style pool tables. Let Predator continue to tweak their 10 Ball Series and Matchroom run with 9 Ball and I'll be in heaven as a fan.

For as phenomenal as Matchroom's production has been, Predator is right there with them. We are on the cusp of an amazing professional tour.
i like a lot of what predator do but hate the shoot out idea. It maybe makes good viewing for non pool playing fans but a game that you can win 7 out of 11 frames and then have to decide it by a shootout is wrong

I guess it’s modelled on tennis a bit with the tiebreak but it’s done too quickly. If it was 4 sets and then a shootout, maybe! Or possibly longer sets so first to 6. Or.. go full on tennis, fist to 4 , 3 sets but if it gets to 3-3 in any set then do a shootout!

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

US Open 9-ball
World 8-ball
World 9-ball
World 10-ball

Personally I'm praying for SVB to win...

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just adding Fedor makes it a tougher field for anyone who draws him.

8 Ball is still my favorite

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like a lot of what predator do but hate the shoot out idea. It maybe makes good viewing for non pool playing fans but a game that you can win 7 out of 11 frames and then have to decide it by a shootout is wrong

I guess it’s modelled on tennis a bit with the tiebreak but it’s done too quickly. If it was 4 sets and then a shootout, maybe! Or possibly longer sets so first to 6. Or.. go full on tennis, fist to 4 , 3 sets but if it gets to 3-3 in any set then do a shootout!
I'm pretty sure they are adjusting their shootout, while not doing away with it completely. I can't remember the specific change.