Cue Tip Contact Myth-Busting Truths in Super Slow Motion

chenjy9

Wow... this thread escalated pretty quickly. Personally, I find the resolution to all this back and forth to be pretty simple; if you have issues with Dr. Dave's test, then put up your own video with whatever methodology you deem scientifically sufficient. Simple and fair, right?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must play on really slow and sticky cloth that never gets cleaned, in a humid environment with filthy balls, where nobody knows how to draw the ball! 🤣

With a good draw stroke on fast, slick, and clean cloth, and with new and clean balls, the reactions in the videos are quite normal, if not mediocre. Haven't you ever seen some of Corey's famous draw shots. If not, I can provide some links. :geek:
‘New/clean’ balls:
I have found there is a wide variation in ball composition, polish chemicals (and cloth) effect (my 2 yr. old 760 is still so slick every slow bank still goes WAY wide, especially in a winter/forced-air heated environment…I also keep a space heater under the table). Even with very tight pockets (Diamond), slow shots into a corner typically cheat the pocket nicely. The highest-end Aramith balls (red circle also) are so resistant the dirt/chalk adherence, a proper machine polish means you must then be VERY careful to prevent over-drawing (any enthusiastic low english can move the CB a table length).

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've got to be kidding. I suggest you take count of the number of posters in this thread who have dared question your conclusions, methods, and much less your authority. On top of that, count how many of us started with a polite, even deferential tone.

And then, count the number of times each of these posters who dared question your highness has been insulted (myth believers), intimidated, told they are drinking koolaid, telling old wives tales (OWT), "spouting off" (in your own words), and on and on...

You are the mob leader, if anything, Doctor Dave. Your behavior is hardly becoming of a scientist.
@dr_dave : No reply? Typical. You might consider taking up dodge ball.

I noted it way back in our first exchanges of this thread, and since then several other posters have independently echoed some part of this observation:

You are evasive, dismissive, and condescending.

The people who believe your goofy claim that tip hardness and contact time have no affect on cb spin, defend you because your name is Doctor. None of them have demonstrated any competence in the basic laws of mechanics in their arguments, although some posers, like @Patrick Johnson and @Cornerman pretend.

And all together, you put everyone else down for not sharing in your gnosis. You are the anointed ones, having been enlightened with the knowledge of the busted myth. Anyone who remains unconvinced is a drinking koolaid from the spout of the fountain where old wives gather to do superstitious old wives things.

I believe a lot of people have observed this. This is not good for your image as the Doctor of the physics of billiards.

kanzzo

hobby player
at 3:30
found the video :)
Would still love to have the contact time measured or have a slow motion video of this shot with phenolic tip.

On the video above you see the object ball jump and the jump effect is bigger with phenolic tip. To get the masse with phenolic tip on video you had to elevate the cue - means cue is now in the way of CB jump. Seems like must be multiple hits or somehow one longer tip contact to get the extreme masse.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
‘New/clean’ balls:
I have found there is a wide variation in ball composition, polish chemicals (and cloth) effect (my 2 yr. old 760 is still so slick every slow bank still goes WAY wide, especially in a winter/forced-air heated environment…I also keep a space heater under the table). Even with very tight pockets (Diamond), slow shots into a corner typically cheat the pocket nicely. The highest-end Aramith balls (red circle also) are so resistant the dirt/chalk adherence, a proper machine polish means you must then be VERY careful to prevent over-drawing (any enthusiastic low english can move the CB a table length).
I saw a pro during an exhibition pull out armor all wipes to use on the cue ball and ever so lightly on the cloth around the pockets

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@dr_dave : No reply? Typical. You might consider taking up dodge ball.

I noted it way back in our first exchanges of this thread, and since then several other posters have independently echoed some part of this observation:

You are evasive, dismissive, and condescending.

The people who believe your goofy claim that tip hardness and contact time have no affect on cb spin, defend you because your name is Doctor. None of them have demonstrated any competence in the basic laws of mechanics in their arguments, although some posers, like @Patrick Johnson and @Cornerman pretend.

And all together, you put everyone else down for not sharing in your gnosis. You are the anointed ones, having been enlightened with the knowledge of the busted myth. Anyone who remains unconvinced is a drinking koolaid from the spout of the fountain where old wives gather to do superstitious old wives things.

I believe a lot of people have observed this. This is not good for your image as the Doctor of the physics of billiards.
Your image sucks. You have still done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prove him wrong. Post a video experiment of your own professor. You've done nothing on this thread but spread crap with no proof. Grow a pair and PROVE him wrong. I know it won't happen. You don't have the intestinal fortitude necessary. Just another keyboard lip flapper.

I await your video proof. Or are you the one playing "dodgeball"?

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your image sucks. You have still done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prove him wrong. Post a video experiment of your own professor. You've done bathing on this thread but spread crap with no proof. Grow a pair and PROVE him wrong. I know it won't happen. You don't have the intestinal fortitude necessary. Just another keyboard lip flapper.

It is not on me to prove him wrong. It is perfectly legitimate to question methods, assumptions, and conclusions in a scientific discussion.

In fact, if you go back to my first post in this thread, you will see that I was charitable in my language. I said that I am unconvinced, and that the Doctor might be right. This was done deliberately to invite scientific debate. I was hoping that the eminent expert would not hide behind all the noise of his indignant fans, such as yourself. Unfortunately, he did.

As for your comments regarding my intestinal fortitude and all the rest, think what you will. I wanted to talk physics, not get into a pissing match.

kanzzo

hobby player
And all together, you put everyone else down for not sharing in your gnosis.
I am pretty sure it was meant as a harmless joke but I can see, how you could get offended. Perhaps it didn't help the overall discussion.

joke.JPG

apart from this I definitely see more personal and aggressive statements from your site. And didn't notice dr_dave putting anyone down. He just tries to adress every comment which is very time intensive so his answers get short sometimes providing links to the work he did put together already. But this thread really wasn't meant to get personal and have this much room for escalation.

Most scientists don't claim to be perfect. You just have a theory and try to back it up with experiments. At the end: let the cue do the talking. If you can come up with better experiments, you are welcome to do so and post them here.

Lot's of people believed (me included), that you need softer tip for extreme english (side or bottom). dr_dave had a theory, that it doesn't have to be true and could back it up with a video. Claim by Lou Figueroa, that he was cheating using a juiced CB seems ridiculous giving the fact that I had same result on my equipment on my first try with a shaft and tip I never used before.

Lou Figueroa prefers softer tip, Alex Pagulayan prefers softer tip for one pocket, I prefer softer tip.

At the end of the day: use whatever works for you. I found it helpful to know, that you can achieve very comparable results (slow sidespin, fast sidespin, draw, masse) no matter what kind of tip you are using. And I think this was the main message dr_dave tried to get into the pool world.

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure it was meant as a harmless joke but I can see, how you could get offended. Perhaps it didn't help the overall discussion.

View attachment 689534

apart from this I definitely see more personal and aggressive statements from your site. And didn't notice dr_dave putting anyone down. He just tries to adress every comment which is very time intensive so his answers get short sometimes providing links to the work he did put together already. But this thread really wasn't meant to get personal and have this much room for escalation.

Most scientists don't claim to be perfect. You just have a theory and try to back it up with experiments. At the end: let the cue do the talking. If you can come up with better experiments, you are welcome to do so and post them here.

Lot's of people believed (me included), that you need softer tip for extreme english (side or bottom). dr_dave had a theory, that it doesn't have to be true and could back it up with a video. Claim by Lou, that he was cheating using a juiced CB seems ridiculous giving the fact that I had same result on my equipment on my first try with a shaft and tip I never used before.

Lou prefers softer tip, Alex Pagulayan prefers softer tip for one pocket, I prefer softer tip.

At the end of the day: use whatever works for you. I found it helpful to know, that you can achieve very comparable results (slow sidespin, fast sidespin, draw, masse) no matter what kind of tip you are using. And I think this was the main message dr_dave tried to get into the pool world.

I appreciate your more charitable point of view. I happen to disagree.

When you say "Claim by Lou, that he was cheating using a juiced CB..." I wish that you would have specified Lou Figueroa. I made no such claim.

kanzzo

hobby player
My theory is, there are two kinds of strokes (I am using two kinds of strokes, depending on what I need). One with the short tip contact you measured on the video. For this one there is no difference between the different tips for the english applied.

The other stroke is one where you are accelerating with your cue contacting the CB. The first one is very constant in reproducing (its just about, where you hit the CB, same english every time, even with different tips, as shown in your video), so its great for position play (you know exactly, how your CB will travel). But there are limits to this stroke (you are in my theory not able to draw the ball 15 diamonds with this stroke). So for extreme english (extreme draw for example) you'll need the accelerating stroke on CB contact.

A nice follow through is then the ability to accelerate through the CB. And because the contact time is so short with very hard tip, this accelerating stroke doesn't work (or is very tough to produce) with phenolic tip.

here are my two kinds of stroke alternating. I tried to keep the hitting point on CB and speed the same every time.

on shot 1 and 3 I stop accelerating before the ball, so contact time is very short and reaction of CB same every time. (On this condition a draw of about 2 feet).

on shot 2 and 4 I accelerate through the ball and get a draw of about 8 feet.

since everything else is equal, I would guess the contact time of cue tip with CB changes depending on the kind of stroke

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Aren't threads, posts, and all of the Smilies/Frownies like this one great?! They really point out where and who the different factions are so you can determine future targets to offend as well as look out for in the future. The overall info or benefit for
pool related theory...ehhhh, take it with a grain of salt. The friend or foe discovery is more important. Hey, it's a FORUM.
LMAO.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your image sucks. You have still done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prove him wrong. Post a video experiment of your own professor. You've done bathing on this thread but spread crap with no proof. Grow a pair and PROVE him wrong. I know it won't happen. You don't have the intestinal fortitude necessary. Just another keyboard lip flapper.

What amuses me is just how many times these guys have waffled when faced with anything resembling facts/data. Then when proved wrong, AGAIN, they get all pissy and say the place is 'toxic' for calling them out. Hey guys there's a new miracle drug called 'GROWACET'. Might wannna get ya some.