Serious question?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe not but that's not to say it cannot be elevated from what it is today. I think Matchroom is just getting started.
I think so too. If pool gets half as big as snooker money wise it would be nice.I just hope MR doesn't become the 'pro pool bully' and refuses to work with other events/tours. There's enough to go around.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at your average pool crowd then drive over to the country club. Might as be from two different planets. Pool will never play in that $$ neighborhood.
I think golf just has more glue than pool. That has to be it.

It’s such a joke this guy comes here with all this babble for no apparent reason other than to blow his own horn.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think pros mind dead money in a tournament.

The pro's don't mind dead money in a tournament. It is the amateurs that put the pro's out that they whine about!

There are several issues. The primary issue is there isn't that much difference between an amateur having a great day and a pro having an average or slightly above average day. Add to this formats that don't favor consistency over peak play and we get to the root of the pro vs amateur controversy.

I am willing to be fair about things. Require a pro card to play in more than two pro events a year. Automatic one year suspension for any pro caught gambling for cash with anyone that doesn't have a pro card.

Amateurs have to be able to test the waters in their local pro events or else there will be no new pro's and pool will die. If pro's want to be put on a pedestal they can't rob amateurs any time they take a notion. Playing amateurs for cash just emphasizes the lack of reason to treat pro's as something special too.

Pro events should have a dress code to resemble pro's in other active noncontact sports. Tennis and bowling come to mind. Nothing with extra holes in it, solid color shirts and pants. No slogans from anyone other than your sponsor or the event's sponsor, size and content to come into play also. If people want to be treated like pro's they need to look and act like pro's.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I won't play 'cell phone pool'. I tell the guys at the hall that if they can't turn off their damn fones for 2hrs they need help. That shit drives me nuts.

When cell phone use interferes with pool repeatedly I just wander off and find somebody to talk to when they are on the cell instead of shooting. I will keep talking until the other player comes get me. "Oh, you seemed busy on your cell." Lather, rinse, repeat. Even the dimmest bulb eventually figures out they need to put the cell phone down.

Bringing a book would work great too I suspect: "Just let me finish this chapter."

People in a nontournament setting will flat be asked if they can park the cell phone while playing if it has been an issue in the past. If they can't park it, we aren't playing. I understand taking the rare important call, chatting I find rude.

Hu

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ummmm,... get out your tape measure. The Baseball field I played in HS was 90 ft. That was standard in the H. Schools we played, It is also standard softball field size. I didn't play in college or minors ,so it may be 120 as in MLB. I was going to bring up in a later post the outfield distances are all different too, why no standard there?
R.I.F.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that is great about pool is that you can enter a tournament and play the best players in the world. What other sport can you do that? It should be embraced.

The issue that pool has is logistics. To have major tournaments you have to set up venues. If you have a tournament in a pool room realistically how many spectators are you going to get? It's not fun to sit around and watch pool all day and then when you want to play there's no tables because they're all being used for the tournament.
Even at very large venues, tables available to the public (during tournaments) are often not the same, maintained, or set up as well as what the pros are competing on.
BTW: (RKC?) Just curious. How significant is the difference in how a table plays depending on who recovers/sets it up (assuming only between expert/experienced mechanics)? I only ask because, while you expect new cloth will better allow cheating the corner, often the reverse is true after a re-cover, or vice-vera (GCs that used to drop clean, will bobble, and Diamonds that used to hang up, will slip in….go figure).

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When cell phone use interferes with pool repeatedly I just wander off and find somebody to talk to when they are on the cell instead of shooting. I will keep talking until the other player comes get me. "Oh, you seemed busy on your cell." Lather, rinse, repeat. Even the dimmest bulb eventually figures out they need to put the cell phone down.

Bringing a book would work great too I suspect: "Just let me finish this chapter."

People in a nontournament setting will flat be asked if they can park the cell phone while playing if it has been an issue in the past. If they can't park it, we aren't playing. I understand taking the rare important call, chatting I find rude.

Hu
I don’t play or watch golf, so I wonder if cell phones are such an issue there also? Do courses restrict them? I can’t imagine they would allow play to slow while golfers chatted or site-surfed (?), not to mention ringing while you putted.

dendweller

Look at your average pool crowd then drive over to the country club. Might as well be from two different planets. Pool will never play in that $$ neighborhood.
I don't know, I've played a boat load of golf in my life and I'm not wealthy. I think that country clubs are a rich mans domain, I don't think golf is.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s tough being old school. 👍
No shit. Cars too complicated to work on, music that lacks gusto, social gambling becoming passe’, younger generations apparent strangers to language or dress decorum, etc., etc. Extended life expectancy has it’s downsides.

dendweller

I don't know, I've played a boat load of golf in my life and I'm not wealthy. I think that country clubs are a rich mans domain, I don't think golf is.
On another note, the place I play golf at most has a deal where it's 140 a month for unlimited play. This is a course with 45 holes, all in the 6200 yd area. If I total up what it cost me in day passes for playing 4 days a week at the place I play pool at it's more. So in my area, it's actually more expensive to play pool than golf.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No shit. Cars too complicated to work on, music that lacks gusto, social gambling becoming passe’, younger generations apparent strangers to language or dress decorum, etc., etc. Extended life expectancy has it’s downsides.
Ditto no shiit. I do enjoy meeting young people that have plans, goals, their head on straight… speak like ladies and gentlemen.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This is kind of my point. I don't feel tighter pockets are the answer for the Pros, but longer races might be. Pro rules for tournaments, longer races decide the better players, and outside sponsorship money, instead of industry sponsorship because of driving sales.
I unfortunately can't agree with that. The longer races being the answer I mean. I do agree that substantial sponsorship is the key to rapid/successful growth. I don't believe boring viewers with longer races is the answer though. Viewers don't pay attention for sake of the commercials. They require the stuff inbetween to engage them.

I personally believe that multiple short races could be the answer. I'm not suggesting the Predator format of 2 short sets and shootout. However I think they may be coming close to something that might hold the attention of the casual viewer.

Rather than a winner break race to 9 or 11. I'd rather see a very short set winner break format, when several sets are required to win the match. Think a set of Tennis, (if you're familiar). Consider a lag for break, and then a winner breaks race to 3 or 4. Then the opponent opens the next set. So on and so forth until you reach the total required for winning the match. Make the match a race to 3 sets and the final a race to 5.

This really translates to a normal race to 9 or 12. However what you have is not only a change of "serve", by alternating the opening break of each set, but also maintain the winner breaks format people seem to love within the individual sets.

I'm sure to most pool players that seems like a real goofy format. ...but what you get is winner break so you still see racks strung together, change of serve so you get to see the skill of the other player, and the very short race puts a ton of pressure on the opening breaker to win "their turn" at the table. Errors become notable blunders that can become major holes to overcome.
What this sport DONT NEED, is more pool tables, cloth, balls, all being sold and marketed as the best. What this industry needs is a set of standards that are repeatable.
Yes and no... Everything being called "the best" doesn't help anything. However changing up what the players play on can add novelty that may engage some viewers. Imagine if the USopen was played on the dominate table of the United States... A tournament where all these international players had to deal with BB sized tables. Now jump on a plane and play the world cup of pool on a 9ft. Hop skip and another jump to the China Open that's played on a chinese 8ball table. The 4 majors in tennis are done on 4 different surfaces, and holding the "Grand Slam" (all 4 in same calendar year) is a feat of notable regard.
Upcoming youth need to be able to play on equipment, the same equipment the Pros play on, in order to track their progress as they improve.

A big part of organizing this industry, I would think would be the equipment standards, of which there is none, why not is my question?
I don't think 'pro' equipment is necessary for the junior players. Sure it would be great, but I don't think that standard needs to go beyond the part of the world they live. The real problem here isn't the supposed lack of standard, but trying to get room owners to maintain equipment to pro level. ....what's the point of standard pocket openings if the rails are dead and the cloth torn....?
If left in the hands of this industry's leaders, nothing is ever going to change.

Currently they're the ones deciding what's best for the players and the viewers, but in my opinion, they haven't done a very good job of leading this industry, when they're all fighting for the control of it, and yet, clearly NO ONE is in charge!!
Matchroom is developing their own standards. This isn't something that comes out of the gate as a perfect product. Frankly I'd be fine with it if all other entities dropped off the face of the earth and we had only MR calling the shots. It's probably the only way a real 'standard' will flush out.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t play or watch golf, so I wonder if cell phones are such an issue there also? Do courses restrict them? I can’t imagine they would allow play to slow while golfers chatted or site-surfed (?), not to mention ringing while you putted.
Nongolfer here too so I don't know their rules or their rules of etiquette. Sharking seems to be a big thing so rules to control it I imagine.

Hu

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pro's killed the Sands Regency events. They didn't like the large fields of 375 so only the top 64 got to play. That $20K added dried up PDQ. They also wouldn't let Jean Balakus play either. Smart, aren't they?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the lessening of gambling has hurt the poolrooms. despite what the fun players will say.
gamblers would hang out all day and make the place look full. and did buy some amount of drinks and food. plus when they matched up many times it lasted all day long where as fun players dont play all day as a rule.

and yes those that fought the smoking bans hurt themselves as the people with money are the ones that tend not to smoke as often. and they are the ones who play longer and spend money on drinks. and buy their cues form the house. places that went smoke free found more customers after the smoke cleared to say.
those that waited, lost most of their non smoking customers and they havent returned as they found other outlets.

some have survived especially in the south where smoking is more widespread.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
wow, A LOT to opine here,....
RKC,; good to see you again here on the forum.
I respect you for your knowledge and expertise, your personna aside.(Ppl are different; some can't accept that).

AS for RKC's question, I like to equate pool to baseball.
In baseball, we have leagues. Little league, minor league, major league. MLB PRO's obviously play in the Major league. In pool we have recreational players ,amateurs, and PRO's.
A little league baseball diamond is not the same size as one in a MLB stadium. (I believe the distance from home plate to 1st base in LL is 50 or 60feet. Minors 90 ft. and majors 120ft.) The game is still winner after 9 innings.) Does anyone want to see Aaron Judge hitting homers on a LL playing field?? I did watch SVB and Sky Woodward play 8-ball on a BB and TBH it was a yawn!

SALES in a market economy are what drives product development. MARKETING is what drives desire and hence sales. Tightening pockets and closing pocket angles only make the game more difficult for even the PRO's to play. (Think the green monster in Boston against a PRO MLB batter.)
HONESTLY, I don't need to stop playing a Diamond table to go play a Rasson. I Don't need a CF shaft on my cue either; the laminated LD's are just fine!
The distance between the bases is 90 feet from 6th grade right on up to the major leagues. 60 feet six inches from the pitchers mound to the plate. Where the dimensions in baseball intersect with pocket size is in the outfield. There is no standard for the distance from home plate to the outfield fence that I know of at any level.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The distance between the bases is 90 feet from 6th grade right on up to the major leagues. 60 feet six inches from the pitchers mound to the plate. Where the dimensions in baseball intersect with pocket size is in the outfield. There is no standard for the distance from home plate to the outfield fence that I know of at any level.
6th grade? No. LOL! Where are y'all getting this?

Base paths do not hit 90' until high school. Hopefully this puts it all to rest.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.38.53 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.38.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.38.53 AM.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 31

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know its off-topic somewhat but you all have to see this cat pitch. Only 43ft from rubber to plate. Crazy.