Styer vs Geromino

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They're saying $200k in the middle. That's a lot to bet for either of these players and almost seems unbelievable. I'm really curious who the backers are for each side.
Tyler made about 30K in prize money last year, which is probably more like 20K after expenses. Do you know anybody who bets years of net income on a pool match?

Using the term "in the middle" overstates the size of the bet by two times, and calling money that is bet on the side as being in the middle is similarly misleading.

It's far from certain that Tyler and Edgie are betting anything here.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're saying $200k in the middle. That's a lot to bet for either of these players and almost seems unbelievable. I'm really curious who the backers are for each side.
Marquee players like Shane and Dennis don't have matches for 100k per side. Very hard to believe any backer would like these two that much.

As a fan, I never even heard of Geronimo until this thread.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the Tiger Products, Inc. website:

Rodrigo "Edgie" Geronimo began playing pool with his family when he was eleven. In 1999 Edgie watched Efren Reyes win the World 9 Ball Title and his passion for pool became his main priority. He is a well-respected player in the Philippines, Indonesia, Korea, Dubai, Malaysia and the United States. Edgie has performed well in many tournaments, and his most recent win was at the 2015 CSI sponsored "Swanee" tournament.​
A more recent win than the Swanee was the Junior Norris Memorial 9-Ball event in 2021.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s a lot of stupid money in Vegas. I’m sure the players put up some but mostly coming from there backers

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a shot clock, this match is painfully hard to watch!

edgie is alright. tyler is painfully slow and methodical, but not in the worst way imo. the worst is when players go down on a shot and gets up repeatedly, like bergman and kaci.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
edgie is alright. tyler is painfully slow and methodical, but not in the worst way imo. the worst is when players go down on a shot and gets up repeatedly, like bergman and kaci.
KO invented it. lol. It's a viable technique. There's a couple things about it that work for me.

1) sometimes you get down on automatic and that uncertainty hits you. Reset.
2) sometimes you get down on automatic and the orientation feels out. Reset, mostly to check the linearity of stroke.
3) both. Reset. Whether it's the bet or just not wasting the shot; same priorities.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This match is running at an average of about 7.1 minutes per game. I've seen worse.

[By way of contrast -- the Filler vs Aranas 10-ball race to 100 over 3 days in Roy's Basement in 2020 averaged 4.1 minutes per game.]