Styer vs Geromino

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, so he's not a player without some credentials.
Edgie is just one in the endless swarm of strong players in the Philippines. He has already made his bones here, both in tournaments and money matches. First arrived a good six or seven years ago. Guys like him often have trouble coming here due to travel complications and lack of sponsorship. That's why they are often here for awhile and then can be missing (back in the PI) for a long period of time.

There are dozens with his skill level over there that have yet to come here. You can often see them on some of streams originating in the Philippines. They are playing people like Bustie and Efren dead even or maybe in the case of present day Efren giving him weight! These second level players are anxious to play people like Dennis, DeLuna and Carlo just to improve their games, and work their way up in the pool heirarchy. Dennis keeps active in games like this playing for relatively small stakes, like $500-$1,000 a side. He usually gives up a small spot, like a few games on the wire going to 25. Manny Paquiao is his backer.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KO invented it. lol. It's a viable technique. There's a couple things about it that work for me.

1) sometimes you get down on automatic and that uncertainty hits you. Reset.
2) sometimes you get down on automatic and the orientation feels out. Reset, mostly to check the linearity of stroke.
3) both. Reset. Whether it's the bet or just not wasting the shot; same priorities.

i'm not talking about uncertainty, every player should get up if they're uncertain, that's very basic knowledge. but some players perform this charade as a PSR or because of some OCD shite, sometimes 3-4 times.

btal

Registered
i'm not talking about uncertainty, every player should get up if they're uncertain, that's very basic knowledge. but some players perform this charade as a PSR or because of some OCD shite, sometimes 3-4 times.
Yep. Some players slow play on purpose depending on their opponent's mental capacity to handle it. Tyler's game reminds me of Ghorst's .... might even have a better break. And because Tyler's been playing this way all along, his potential to reach "world class" level is off the charts ... imo ... more than any other young American player. Time will tell.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pinegar aside, it's part of the deal. At least they don't do the schtick and then butcher the shot. :D I used to be awestruck by Keith Mcready but as simple as it looked, that pace and rhythm was a failure recipe for me. As I get older - late 60s now, I'm comfortable watching the slowbots as long as they play well. I take my time too, unless I found myself with 500 hours to get in gear. Not happening with no pool rooms so slow and economical is fine for me as well.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler made about 30K in prize money last year, which is probably more like 20K after expenses. Do you know anybody who bets years of net income on a pool match?

Using the term "in the middle" overstates the size of the bet by two times, and calling money that is bet on the side as being in the middle is similarly misleading.

It's far from certain that Tyler and Edgie are betting anything here.
Never know, one thing about Griff's is there is a lot of poker money floating around.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Never know, one thing about Griff's is there is a lot of poker money floating around.
That's side betting. Nobody has suggested the absence of side betting, but the money on the side is not the stake for which Tyler and Edgie are playing.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's side betting. Nobody has suggested the absence of side betting, but the money on the side is not the stake for which Tyler and Edgie are playing.
But side money could also be part of the advertised money. Multiple backers on each side could be considered side money.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But side money could also be part of the advertised money. Multiple backers on each side could be considered side money.
Yes, side money is included in the advertised money, but since when do pool events do that?

If I bet $50,000 with my friend on some guy to win the US Open, should that bet be included in the event's advertised money? No, it shouldn't, because my bet has no relevance to what the professional competitors are playing for.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, side money is included in the advertised money, but since when do pool events do that?

If I bet $50,000 with my friend on some guy to win the US Open, should that bet be included in the event's advertised money? No, it shouldn't, because my bet has no relevance to what the professional competitors are playing for.
Or does it ?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
If Tyler can find a little earlier that loose and free game he ended the night with... it'll be a beautiful sight to see. The play he ended the night with was worth it to watch.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm doubting the players are putting up their own money but I was inferring that the players might have been put in the box by poker money. Players rarely playing large money sets have all or any of their money on the line. What's on the line is their reputation. Been that way ever since I've been around the game for 35 years or so.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm doubting the players are putting up their own money but I was inferring that the players might have been put in the box by poker money. Players rarely playing large money sets have all or any of their money on the line. What's on the line is their reputation. Been that way ever since I've been around the game for 35 years or so.
Yes, well said.