The Hustler > The Color of Money > ???

Junction

Registered
ChatGPT puts out waaaaaay more coherent stuff compared to that guy.

Let's find out.... Here's the question asked and output from ChatGPT:

Me:
Write a summary of a good sequel to The Color Of Money movie from 1986, but set in the modern day.

ChatGPT:
"The Color of Money: The Next Break" would be an intriguing sequel to the 1986 classic, set in the modern day. The film would follow the life of Vincent Lauria (originally played by Tom Cruise), now an established and seasoned pool player, much like Paul Newman's character, Fast Eddie Felson, in the original movie.
Twenty years after the events of the first film, Vincent is at the peak of his game but faces new challenges in the digital age. The pool scene has evolved, with online streaming, high-stakes international tournaments, and a new generation of tech-savvy players bringing fresh dynamics to the sport.
Vincent, while still a master of the game, struggles to adapt to these changes. He finds himself at odds with the new ways, yearning for the old-school hustle and raw talent of the game. This conflict is personified by a new character, a young, charismatic, and incredibly skilled player who is as much a whiz with social media and self-promotion as he is with a pool cue.
The heart of the story is Vincent's journey to understand and adapt to this new world of pool. Along the way, he confronts his past, including unresolved issues following the departure of his mentor, Fast Eddie. Vincent's introspection leads him to mentor a young player, mirroring his own relationship with Eddie.
The climax of the film is set at a major international pool tournament, where Vincent must face both the young prodigy and his inner demons. The tournament is live-streamed globally, showcasing the modern spectacle pool has become.
The film ends with Vincent realizing that while the game's presentation may have changed, the essence of pool — the skill, the psychology, and the thrill — remains timeless. He embraces the new era, finding a balance between the old and new, and passing on his wisdom to the next generation.
"The Color of Money: The Next Break" pays homage to the original while exploring how the digital age has transformed traditional sports and the challenges faced by the old guard in adapting to this new world.

m00sebumps

Cruise remains one of the biggest box-office draws in the world. No way it would be a mistake to include him.
This is true, I didn't necessarily mean Cruise would be a mistake, a story about the Vincent character wouldn't be as good is what I mean. It would have to be set current day I suppose and I'm just not sure it would be that interesting. The only thing The Color of Money film and Novel have in common is Eddie and he plays pool. A limited series touching on Bert having Eddie being blacklisted with a time jump of 25 years later into the 80's with Eddie finding his way back would be really entertaining. I love the movie and I love the book, but I would really like to see something made that resembles the source material better.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member

Me:
Write a summary of a good sequel to The Color Of Money movie from 1986, but set in the modern day.

ChatGPT:
"The Color of Money: The Next Break" would be an intriguing sequel to the 1986 classic, set in the modern day. The film would follow the life of Vincent Lauria (originally played by Tom Cruise), now an established and seasoned pool player, much like Paul Newman's character, Fast Eddie Felson, in the original movie.
Twenty years after the events of the first film, Vincent is at the peak of his game but faces new challenges in the digital age. The pool scene has evolved, with online streaming, high-stakes international tournaments, and a new generation of tech-savvy players bringing fresh dynamics to the sport.
Vincent, while still a master of the game, struggles to adapt to these changes. He finds himself at odds with the new ways, yearning for the old-school hustle and raw talent of the game. This conflict is personified by a new character, a young, charismatic, and incredibly skilled player who is as much a whiz with social media and self-promotion as he is with a pool cue.
The heart of the story is Vincent's journey to understand and adapt to this new world of pool. Along the way, he confronts his past, including unresolved issues following the departure of his mentor, Fast Eddie. Vincent's introspection leads him to mentor a young player, mirroring his own relationship with Eddie.
The climax of the film is set at a major international pool tournament, where Vincent must face both the young prodigy and his inner demons. The tournament is live-streamed globally, showcasing the modern spectacle pool has become.
The film ends with Vincent realizing that while the game's presentation may have changed, the essence of pool — the skill, the psychology, and the thrill — remains timeless. He embraces the new era, finding a balance between the old and new, and passing on his wisdom to the next generation.
"The Color of Money: The Next Break" pays homage to the original while exploring how the digital age has transformed traditional sports and the challenges faced by the old guard in adapting to this new world.
brb, emailing Tom's CAA agent

Anyone who writes for a living better be looking for another profession.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member

Me:

ChatGPT:
The Only challenge the 'Old Guard' players face is, 'Old Age!'

You can't outrun it, No One does.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Only challenge the 'Old Guard' players face is, 'Old Age!'

You can't outrun it, No One does.
Paul did in TCOM. That character arc was a large part of its charm. Here's the final scene... the final line of the movie after Paul wins the lag and breaks against Tom is "Hey... I'm back!"

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a young, cocky German kid who is currently the top tournament player in the world and has a hot girlfriend wife who also plays?

And maybe the German kid has been dodging gambling overtures from his peers, but finally and reluctantly agrees to a big-money match against Cruise of 9-ball, one pocket, and banks in Vegas that lasts days and has $10M on the line.
And no one's awake to see the finale!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Me:

ChatGPT:
Sounds like Earl and Joshua.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Me:

ChatGPT:
More like 38 years after the events of the first film

Junction

Registered

Me:

ChatGPT:

The Color of Money: The Next Break
Starring Tom Cruise, Forrest Whitaker, Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling and Jesus Quintana

tom-cruise-comes-back-as-his-tropic-thunder-character-les-grossman-on-conan-social.jpg

FW.png

MR.png

Ryan Gosling.jpg

JQ.png

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't need me to do that.

Even the so called small pockets at pool rooms (LOL) have more of a factor than myself, in why pool isn't popular. Blaming one person on a message board of thousands is pretty lazy don't you think? I'm not standing at the door telling patrons to not come in.

We can safely assume that pool is on the decline due to many pool rooms closing down all across the nation. It has been on the decline for quite some time now and we're just hanging on.

I have probably seen more passing of old timers than an emergence of new players. I am sort of in the industry and have helped promote pool but its not happening. I would help out in my free time to organize tournaments and help run them.

...but thanks for saying I am ruining pool. It helps to know this one man can do such a thing. My ego feels good this morning.
I’m just pointing out the disconnect between generations. You’re not the only stuffy old curmudgeon in pool halls that likes to complain about the youngins.

shooter_Hans

I’m just pointing out the disconnect between generations. You’re not the only stuffy old curmudgeon in pool halls that likes to complain about the youngins.
I'm actually not against young players if there were young players in my neck of the woods.

Then again, I am an advocate to a few young players here and tell them to carry a school bag and not a cue case. Every time they bitch about losing money or they should have beaten so-and-so, I always tell them its better to carry a school bag than that case. They smile and acknowledge it.

I tell them to follow my path....once a competitive player who won many weekly tournaments in my 20's, to retire and come back for shit and giggles.

I now have a pocket full of cash and playing with cues worth thousands. Granted I'm no longer a fierce competitor and I couldn't care if I loss a match but pool is fun this time around.

You only play pool twice in your life.....a hobby when not in class -or- when you eventually retire and can spend the entire day at the pool rooms.

I believe in today's society, free time is spent trying to make money (second job) or sitting at home on the phone. This generation don't have it like we did.

Our pool time here is close to $20/hr so I don't expect many to learn this game.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A movie even loosely based or just used as a reference with Kid D’s book might be decent. High profile actors are corny, Tom Cruise would be cool with a guest appearance but something like a Guy Ritchie type movie seems appealing. If it was ever to happen, surely any of the pros would jump at the opportunity to be included. No clue as to the ins and outs of the business but if they were allowed to rep their sponsors that would be huge for their exposure all around. Alex is a natural character, guys like that even in small rolls would appeal to both pool enthusiasts and those who aren’t. It’s indeed a fun idea at least…

this is actually a great idea - just follow alex around. tourneys, action, woofing and goofing

Justaneng

Registered
Movie wise: What tropes would have to be included in the movie to make the pool hall scenes more realistic?

Here’s a few I can think of:

1) There has to be one song, 🎶 preferably offensive, playing in the background way too frequently. Recently for us “Dicked Down in Dallas” is getting air every 45 minutes. “My Dick” and “I got bitches” have received heavy play. It is important for that these songs play no part in the plot and no character actually acknowledge the background music. A montage sequence of 65+,year old players still having it while “Straight Outta Compton” plays in the background is a must.

2) When the main character goes up for a beer in between racks (trying not to interfere with play) the bartender should be locked into a 5 minute conversation with her friend at the bar about her cat, complete with photos. The main character should be shown as a villain in this scenario.