So Skyler got drug tested immediately after losing to Oi???

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I worked in an Industry that was a "Drug-free environment." Let me say this: There is no such thing as "random" drug testing if an official has suspicion of someone using. In my 30 yr career I was NEVER tested. Also, a colleague who was known to be a "weekend warrior" concerning ganja was never tested either. So ask yourself,..... what are the odds?
Also, when there was suspicion of someone being under the influence, they were always within the target of "random." Thing was both my ganja colleague and I were necessary technicians as we were the only two at our terminal that knew certain things.
A "positive" result would mean being taken out of service, w/o pay, and subject to a hearing which was essentially a Kangaroo court to show compassion. Typically, an individual identified as positive would get the option of counselling and offered REHAB. Declining meant you would have to settle the issue in court, (which took a year or longer).
It is like a DWI,..... you have no choice.
The best option,(if you feel it worthwhile), is to stay CLEAN.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Naw. Medications in banned list must be declared as soon as reasonably possible for consideration of inclusion.
Would it be inclusion or exclusion for the player? If a person is on a prescription drug from their Dr. which can be shown and proven for a medical reason, there shouldn't be anyone on a power trip to say, "no" you can't take it if you want to play.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who’s paying for this drug testing program and how much does it cost?
The WPA is paying for it and I would guess thousands per event. A person from the approved/licensed/certified testing company has to be at the venue to be present when the samples are collected. I don't know if there is on-site equipment to do the tests. So that's maybe a couple of days of room and board plus travel costs for the test person. Also, a WPA official has to be present to arrange for the random selection from the finalists and help round up the players to be tested after they are eliminated. Presumably each test result is fairly expensive as you have to pay for the equipment, supplies and tech. I wonder if the equipment has to be able to find everything on the WADA list.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA is paying for it and I would guess thousands per event. A person from the approved/licensed/certified testing company has to be at the venue to be present when the samples are collected. I don't know if there is on-site equipment to do the tests. So that's maybe a couple of days of room and board plus travel costs for the test person. Also, a WPA official has to be present to arrange for the random selection from the finalists and help round up the players to be tested after they are eliminated. Presumably each test result is fairly expensive as you have to pay for the equipment, supplies and tech. I wonder if the equipment has to be able to find everything on the WADA list.
What a joke. And a bad one at that.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be inclusion or exclusion for the player? If a person is on a prescription drug from their Dr. which can be shown and proven for a medical reason, there shouldn't be anyone on a power trip to say, "no" you can't take it if you want to play.
A player can try & get a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) which is an official medical document giving an athlete permission to take a medication that is ordinarily prohibited for the treatment of a legitimate condition.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a joke. And a bad one at that.
Makes you wonder what the primary drivers for Matchroom to not sanction are. My guess is three things but I could be wrong.

1. Money (sanction fees and such)
2. Political bans that doesn’t help the MR product
3. Hassle of WADA anti-doping vs. doing their own

I wonder if #3 might be more than a trivial factor.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beta blockers could be a big thing in pool. Yes they are a comonly prescribed drug for high blood pressure, but certain ones are also commonly prescribed to control all levels of anxiety depending on dosage and which one.
They are also prescribed for such things as say you had to speak in front of a crowd and you get real nervious doing that. The right beta blocker would allow you to speak comfortably in a situation such as that.
So you can see that for someone that gets nervous playing pool, the right beta blocker would help them alot. Does it give them an advantage, thats debatable as to how I view it. Some would say an advantage, some could also rightfully feel that it just puts you on an even playing field with those that aren't affected with a nervious condition when playing pool.
If you take a beta blocker for high blood pressure and are someone that could expect to be tested at some point, you have two choices, stay on it and hope you never get tested, or just have your dr prescribe a different blood pressure med that is not in the beta blocker family.
I guess as some have mentioned, you could also ask for an exemption, if that is something that is actually allowed.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If you are going to do useful drug testing against the current list of banned substances, it's what you have to do. If there is ridiculosity to be found here it is in the usefulness of drug testing.
The current list of banned substances seems to be every drug ever made and prescribed by doctors for various health problems.
What did they miss?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have definitely seen players enhanced by weed. i don't mind it being on the list but i have an issue with players (or sportspersons in general) failing the test for having smoked several days before. the threshold for THC is too low. it's the same when someone drinks a lot the day before, that can also render a failed test and a ban. shouldn't be that way

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
A player can try & get a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) which is an official medical document giving an athlete permission to take a medication that is ordinarily prohibited for the treatment of a legitimate condition.
That makes sense. I doubt any Dr. treating a patient would object to it. BUT, would it be accepted by the governing body of pool without any hassles or still be assholes?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? How
It’s funny to blame Matchroom for a Predator/WPA event. This is the WPA World 10-ball Championship. “WPA” = “Olympic Affiliation”. All Olympic sports are required to do random drug tests. The point is for people to pass them. Sky got some bad rolls with stupid referees this event. But this one thing is going to happen to every pro in a WPA event sooner or later. They randomly draw like 4 at the final 16. It’s a sign he did well to get so deep for it to be a possibility. Don’t get me wrong. WPA brings some bureaucratic baggage with their drug testing. Just look at Billy’s situation a few years back. I’m not defending their merits. Just acknowledging Sky was very clearly not singled out no matter how much it would appear so.
really? How many other players were drug tested? You compound that with all the other nonsense they did to him I’d say if you smell smoke theres fire.