Is there a safety here?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Bank the 8 and, at the same time, play a safety.

You gots to come with more...I don't really see a reasonable safety, especially given the next player plays as well/ better than the shooter.

That CB is NOT sticking on the 11, if 8 is struck hard enough to be pocketed.

Maybe not, but it doesn't have to...the 8 is dropping...:)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Not an easy bank with the amount of space between the ball and rail. I consider myself a good banker, I would have shot safe and shot safe again if I had to.
If he thinned the object ball and left you on the short rail with another bank you could have shot the same basic safety right back at him putting him to close to the ball to
do much with it. He's going to eventually leave you the game winner.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I see a couple of safeties and I've played them both with a similar shot that just wasn't
feeling good about at the time, but neither is a real high percentage shot.
The first I might play is to kick off the bottom rail and try to come in behind the 8. Hopefully
at least hiding the cue ball, but best case freezing the cue to the rail just
just behind the 8 forcing him kick 2 rails at anything. It doesn't look like there's enough
room to just shoot right at the 8 and slide behind without scratching.
The second is to shoot at the 8 with some low left and try to freeze the cue ball to
which ever ball that was (the 12?). I've shot both and both have worked, and failed miserably.
I think you did it right though, the bank to win.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post #23 ...336Robin has it correct. Hit the 8 ball on the right with right English...you don't have to touch the 11 ball. The 8 ball will be in the pocket jaws and he opponent will have an extremely hard shot to play safe.

Too much could go wrong with the bank....play the odds so they are in your favor.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised at how many would elect to allow the opponent back to the table.

To those who would duck...
Would you all not shoot that bank shot all day and bet you make it?

While I am not going to make 100% of them, I am going to home out ahead.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
ide bank it personally, especially in a league match, who gives a shit, or you can try and freeze the cue ball to the 11 or close enough to jave him shoot away from it living you an easy shot. speed is key and you need touch, and at league with a pitcher of beer in, the only thing ill have touch on in scratching my balls.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your touch on these very short very soft shots is good, and if the balls were really positioned exactly as diagrammed, the safety is pretty much unmissable. As an added benefit, if you play it right, the 8 remains parked right over the hole where even if he hooks you back you should be a favorite to kick it in. And it's not likely at all that he hooks you back.

The bank is not a very tough one, but is definitely missable. And if you miss it against a good player, it's a definite sellout unless you get very lucky.

The safety is very clearly the percentage play here, to my eyes. But if you change the positions of the balls even subtly, the safety could get a lot more missable, and that absolutely changes the equation. So if it's possible that you're mis-remembering the layout at all, that could easily explain your captain's (and opponent's) opinions.

Good advice .. key is moving the 8 closer to the hole while hooking him. blocking the 11 and allowing you an easy 8 after he messes up his attempt

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Bank the 8 and, at the same time, play a safety.
I agree - stun the 8 crosscorner and lay the CB behind the 11. It takes a touch with the CB, but it lays pretty natural. Not a lockup safety, but beats a blank.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree - stun the 8 crosscorner and lay the CB behind the 11. It takes a touch with the CB, but it lays pretty natural. Not a lockup safety, but beats a blank.

pj
chgo

I think you must have the munchies.

No way rhe cb can stop behind the 11 with the 8 rolling all the way to the other side of the table...at least not with reasonable certainty the cb won't nudge the 11 enough to result in betrayal.

Plus, you've now freed up the 11 to go in that nearest corner...the 8 having that pocket booked was a big part of shooters favorable position,

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It would be a huge mistake trying for the safe here. To be successful it would require luck. Left side of the 8 is a scratch, right side soft offers the opportunity to line up the 11 ball at a pocket for your opponent. Short rail first on the 8 requires a perfect shot and could tie up the 8 on the 11.

No doubt, the bank, soft enough to leave it hanging if missed.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

That bank is a hanger. Seriously, this is not a brag. ANYONE can make it.

Just for fun I took it to the pool hall, GC4 sub 4.5 inch pockets, I made it every time, but I didn't try to play safe in any fashion, went strickly for the bank, with various speeds. On this equipment I liked shortening up with firm speed and inside, though it could easily be made in other fashions as well. I just like to slam these a bit.

I tried a one/two rail kick off the end rail to try and freeze behind the 8, and it was super difficult. It was the only way I could think of to play some sort of safe that would at least give the opponent some trouble, and still it left a shot.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Too easy.

No way rhe cb can stop behind the 11 with the 8 rolling all the way to the other side of the table...at least not with reasonable certainty the cb won't nudge the 11 enough to result in betrayal.
It's all about the bank - the success of the safety is secondary to me. I gotta do something with the CB - I might get lucky.

pj
chgo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Plus, you've now freed up the 11 to go in that nearest corner...the 8 having that pocket booked was a big part of shooters favorable position,

My first thought was a bank with low right, hitting the 8 almost full in the face and keeping the CB nudged up on the stripe but looks can be deceiving on these diagrams. Looking closer the 8 and CB are straight in line and the situation just isn’t the same in real life as it looks here, trying to get the proportions to match up.

The bank is simple enough but you are pretty much trusting to luck if you miss it. I’d still be banking it myself

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it is technically a "cross bank", in reality it's a standard bank. Yes, you will miss it occasionally - we are talking something like 1-3% of the time for an elite player and a bit more for the rest of us. But you will screw up the tippy-tappy safety, or your opponent will play a sensational get out shot, a higher percentage of the time.

Really it's a straightforward and easy bank, the kind you should practice. You should make it most of the time, it is great for the morale of your team as it looks a much better shot than it really is, and it will make your league opponents nervous as they will believe you can finish form anywhere - they will make more mistakes because of this.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I shooting the bank low left and drawing out of the kiss...
...if I don’t make it, I WANT to pay.

JC

Coos Cues
My first thought was a bank with low right, hitting the 8 almost full in the face and keeping the CB nudged up on the stripe but looks can be deceiving on these diagrams. Looking closer the 8 and CB are straight in line and the situation just isn’t the same in real life as it looks here, trying to get the proportions to match up.

The bank is simple enough but you are pretty much trusting to luck if you miss it. I’d still be banking it myself

If your plan is to use low right full in the face.

Try a safety.

You will never successfully bank the 8.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, after enough quality time on table you will see that shot as a very easy shot and will be really glad to get it.

As far as playing safe or not, it would depend on who I was playing. If I was playing anyone thats my equal or better I would for sure play safe...

Jeff

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
All I know is, I'd like to play everybody in this thread that would play safe.

If you cant bank the 8 but think you could freeze the CB to the 11:killingme:

Just sayin

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is, I'd like to play everybody in this thread that would play safe.

If you cant bank the 8 but think you could freeze the CB to the 11:killingme:

Just sayin

Probably wouldn't be a problem for a lot of players to bank the 8, but a lot of us probably read the post where he said he was a 5 handicap and answered the question with that in mind