Props to Bonus Ball

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Indeed, Jay. Glad to hear an "old timer" like you has come around.

When many on here were bad-mouthing Larry just because things
were going according to THEIR immediate expectations was when he seemed to reassess
his circumstances, and did as you said, PRESERVERED and STAYED ON COURSE.

No doubt, previous business errors will be corrected.
Already I could personally descry that the dynamics of the semi-final
matches were slightly optimized when compared to the first few matches we saw at the beginning of the season.

My feeling is that Bonus Ball has raised the bar in our industry.
As with any other industry I feel BB even compelled Mike Sigel's tour to begin.
That's what we need in pool. Something to motivate and promote innovation!!!!!

Get on the Bonus Ball Bus, folks! I hope the haters have finally seen the light.

At least the Bonus Ball bashing has finally stopped.
For Christ Sake! What an embarrassing time for BONUS BALL.

FYP... :thumbup:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Class act

I didn't need another reason to respect Jay but here he goes again

It is interesting to see Jay evaluate his position on Bonus Ball and come out in support of the format

Always nice to see a free thinking individual who is not afraid to run in a direction different than the herd

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't need another reason to respect Jay but here he goes again

It is interesting to see Jay evaluate his position on Bonus Ball and come out in support of the format

Always nice to see a free thinking individual who is not afraid to run in a direction different than the herd

I reserve the right to change my mind. :wink:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Comments

Yes, you heard right. I am giving big props to Larry Chiborak and the entire Bonus Ball team. I think it was great that they put together a Charity match to benefit Philippine hurricane victims and invited Warren Kiamco, Dennis Orcollo and Carlo Biado to play against a Bonus Ball all-star team (Thorsten, Darren and John Morra).

I watched the semifinal match last night so I could learn a little about how the game is played and tonight I watched the entire charity match. After these two matches, I've concluded that Bonus Ball is a good game with a lot of strategy and skill involved. I've gained a new appreciation for this game now that I've seen it in action. Excellent commentary last night by Scott Frost and today by Jeremy Jones. They both offered concise and accurate analysis of the play throughout the matches. Steve Strain does a good job of keeping the flow going and he handles the interviews and other chores of a host expertly.

The television coverage is also well done with good camera angles and clear, crisp reception all the way from start to finish. So they've done a lot of things right imo. Now that I've had a chance to see BB in action, they've won me over. It's a good game and not that hard to follow once you watch a couple of games. I hope they can continue into a second season, as the team concept is a good one and makes for exciting situations. Like someone else said, it's kind of like a mini Mosconi Cup with many teams instead of only two.

Thanks again to Larry for persevering through all the obstacles and staying on course. I hope in the future they can correct some of the errors made in this first season with scheduling etc. and make BB into something big for professional pool.

P.S. The Bonus Ball girls are a nice plus (not too hard on these old eyes) and Michaela Tabb is a GREAT referee as always!

Jay,

This was a thoughtful, big time post, and one for which you are due some genuine positive feedback. I know this was not easy for you (or a lot of others) to do, but seems both timely and proper.

Way to go. On to more in the future.

Will Prout

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I am glad the tide has turned and people are realizing what a great game it is. One pocket is my favorite game with Bonus Ball second, the shot clock is great along with the scoreboard so it is not too tough to watch or know what is going on. Sure there are matches that are not exciting and get too defensive going to shootouts but that can happen in any game.

I cannot wait until they put up soon some of the matches we filmed during the playoffs because there were 3 or 4 that blew these semis and the Championship out of the water with the great play and excitement of them. I was lucky to take second place in the first amateur BB tournament that took place in Phoenix. I hope they have more events like that nationwide along with exhibitions for the masses to see and play the game.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG! They've gotten to Jay!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

that made me laugh....

...like a 50's black and white sci-fi script line....they are among us..no one is safe...trust no one.

ps: I watched for the first time couple nights ago on ESPN3...Archers team vs Earl's team. It was fun to watch...the shot clock added some urgency and drama..Frost was great in the booth..it could catch on with the general public due to the entertainment value.

For more seasoned pool players...there is much to be appreciated in strategy and execution.

Purists will be purists.

Hell, I just started playing senior center 1-15 in the sides 8 ball. I out shoot em, but they safe and hide and takeout balls and kick my ass..I have a lot to learn about a lot...including Bonus Ball.

Good luck to bonus ball.

but...they gotta come up with cooler uniform shirts...straight cut bowling shirts...something?? (with matching color undershirts...no bare bellies showing except for the ball girs)

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
How much did they raise for the charity and when will the money be sent?

Any of the experts or those involved have an answer to this? I have been involved in many charity events and the money raised is announced immediately there after.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Any of the experts or those involved have an answer to this? I have been involved in many charity events and the money raised is announced immediately there after.

Im not certain of the details, but the minimum commitment to the charity was 5 figures. Regardless of what was raised, WPBL will be paying out at least $10,000, be it out of the PPV revenues, or out of its own pocket.

Please try to be positive.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Im not certain of the details, but the minimum commitment to the charity was 5 figures. Regardless of what was raised, WPBL will be paying out at least $10,000, be it out of the PPV revenues, or out of its own pocket.

He's alive! 4 month hiatus?!

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member

Thank you, Nathan, and all your crew at Runout Media for your excellent work. You all stuck out the rough times and ended up producing the highest quality video presentation ever experienced in billiards. Without you, Bonus Ball would have never made it. I offer my best wishes for the future. :thumbup:

Roger

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I thought Bonus Ball was great. And I really hope it stays around and flourishes.

I really enjoyed the whole production of the three playoff matches I watched. Like Jay pointed out... great camera work, commentary, replays, eye candy, etc... And I especially liked the rules of Bonus Ball...

But, most of us here are versed / seasoned pool players and can see the elements of all the games cleverly incorporated. And having been able to see it played by professionals who were clearly "into" the game gave it a really good representation.

I'm not trying to be a devil's advocate here, but after some time to read what others have posted and think things through for myself, I am starting to think the game might be a bit too complex to truly capture a new audience...

Being on ESPN3 is a good start... but in my case I had register for a separate "services" log-in that is tied to my cable provider account in order to watch. My provider doesn't broadcast ESPN3... And I have a feeling many cable providers are like that.

And for the people who do have ESPN3 straight to their cable box, it's a very dedicated few who will tune in specifically for, and be ready at the beginning of the show... Probably the same group who made the effort to go to the web-stream and watch. And that same group will already know the rules to the game being played and not need a history lesson.

Most "new" pool-TV watchers who might generate interest and spend "new money" on pool, will be the channel-surfing crowd who's attention will (hopefully) be piqued when they see a pool table on screen. Now.... if that potential new group of viewers already knows the basic rules of the game being played, they may even stick around and get more into the match.

The only changes I'd like to see to BB (aside of some of the over-the-top uniforms) is:

1) Needs to be on ESPN2. Even if it's just in place of 1 hr of poker per week).

2) For televised matches, the WPBL should consider implementing a short series of singles 8-ball games or short-races to start the match. It doesn't have to be long, so that it maybe takes up only the first 1/5 or 1/4 of the broadcast time... Simply to capture channel-surfing newbies with a game they are at least somewhat familiar with. They can give the 8-ball games less weight in the match, but I think the game would be more likely to grab and keep newbie attention at the beginning of a broadcast before they move on to find their next show for that broadcast segment. Then, with a (hopefully) captive audience, explain the bonus ball rules and finish off the "meat and potatoes" with bonus ball. I'm thinking of 8-ball as a shrimp coctail appetizer for the genera public in this scenario...

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good until the closing argument

Get on the Bonus Ball Bus, folks! I hope the haters have finally seen the light.

At least the Bonus Ball bashing has finally stopped.
For Christ Sake! What an embarrassing time for this forum.

You were going well. Then the ending. This only hurts your argument. Does nothing but incite.

Daren

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Isn't this better to ask this question a month or two down the road. When their time has settled down and they have had ample time to do something. Otherwise, this would appear to be badgering or being resentful of their time in the sun.

I don't disagree with your question. And there are good reasons to ask for it. The question implies that you are concerned for those less-fortunate. But your timing raises questions about your intentions. I am sure that you intended to help charities. And to make pool a better game. It is just better (for you and for the charities) to ask the question at a more appropriate time.

Daren's -Self-Disclosure- I have not watched BB but a few short times. Wasn't interested. Like trick shot competitions, it is not my thing. And some issues have arose to make me not trust BB fully. But, everyone makes mistakes. I hope they are successful and advance our great sport. They can show how diverse our sport can be. And I'm open to changing my opinion about them. For now, good Luck BB!

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

i'll preface this w/ a reminder that we OWN a set of Bonus Balls & JA promo, etc.

WATCHEZ - you took the words right out of my mouth.

Jay opened this w/ the cite of the Charity Event for the "Phillipines". i asked weeks ago, for a breakdown, as well as offering consolidated container logistics, to further % contributions - to go DIRECTLY to the Phillipines. as opposed to the local Phillipinos @ Vegas. why did they need $$$$$ for "cartons & freight" - when they could call Red Cross to pickup & ship @ their expense?

i never got a response from VLR/Bonus Ball.

therefore, we didn't contribute to the match.

How much did they raise for the charity and when will the money be sent and to whom and for what?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Isn't this better to ask this question a month or two down the road. When their time has settled down and they have had ample time to do something. Otherwise, this would appear to be badgering or being resentful of their time in the sun.

I don't disagree with your question. And there are good reasons to ask for it. The question implies that you are concerned for those less-fortunate. But your timing raises questions about your intentions. I am sure that you intended to help charities. And to make pool a better game. It is just better (for you and for the charities) to ask the question at a more appropriate time.

Daren's -Self-Disclosure- I have not watched BB but a few short times. Wasn't interested. Like trick shot competitions, it is not my thing. And some issues have arose to make me not trust BB fully. But, everyone makes mistakes. I hope they are successful and advance our great sport. They can show how diverse our sport can be. And I'm open to changing my opinion about them. For now, good Luck BB!

I am running a tournament in June that should raise a minimum of $75K and the goal is for over $100K for charity. Every nickel will be accounted for in a P/L and the amount given to the charity (well there are actually 3 involved) wlll be presented at the end of the tournament.
If anyone would like to donate, contact me and I will give you details.

I have been involved in other charity events as well. It is always announced at the end of the event or at worst a few days after. I was just simply wondering what type of support the BB event garnered and how much it raised. It should be a simple answer. What more appropriate time can there be? BB had what amount of people buy the PPV, raising X amount. BB had Y amount donated directly at the event itself. BB decided to donate Z amount themselves.
X + Y + Z = ??