Hustlers Week 2: Episodes 3 & 4 Thread

2strong4u

Banned
I'd like to see a real reality show following real pros in real competitions - not made-up "hustlers" acting out made-up "matches" to get on a made-up "list".

pj
chgo

How dare you speak the truth. This show is going to save pool ,haven't you heard.

I just got moved to an A player....I'm a top female player...so which is it? It's all nonsense.

Wonder if she played that set with Tim T at Snookers? Yeah I'm guessing not.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

How dare you speak the truth. This show is going to save pool ,haven't you heard.

I just got moved to an A player....I'm a top female player...so which is it? It's all nonsense.

Wonder if she played that set with Tim T at Snookers? Yeah I'm guessing not.

No yours and Patricks sarcastic remarks are going to save it. If Patrick wants to watch Tournament Pool why not travel to the US Open and watch it all week. Reality is not always what you hope or want it to be.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will this be available on DVD or pay-to-view for non-US or non-cable subscribed people at some stage? In OZ but have VPN.
It's available in the U.S. on iTunes and Amazon instant. The episodes seem to come out after the weekend. I don't know if you Ozzies can get it directly, but at least you can fake it if necessary.

2strong4u

Banned
No yours and Patricks sarcastic remarks are going to save it. If Patrick wants to watch Tournament Pool why not travel to the US Open and watch it all week. Reality is not always what you hope or want it to be.

No sarcasm. She can't play and her matches are staged.

It's good to have pool on TV. I think we deserve better

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sarcasm. She can't play and her matches are staged.

It's good to have pool on TV. I think we deserve better

Just curious what you think is better ,,,, Maybe show league played , as that's the life support system carrying pool right now
Boring Turny play , or real pit pool Scooter , Spanky ,Russian Kenny and the gang at 2 am
None of it I see as a gleaming endorsement for parents to bring their kids to the pool room
So help me out ,

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's available in the U.S. on iTunes and Amazon instant. The episodes seem to come out after the weekend. I don't know if you Ozzies can get it directly, but at least you can fake it if necessary.
Gave it a go, but Amazon and iTunes too clever even for my VPN unless I went through the hassle of setting up US accounts.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice to see so many more positive reviews of the show. I missed it because I was playing in the World Series of Poker, but I hope to see them online when I get back home. I liked the first two shows and am really looking forward to 3 and 4, since the comments are so favorable for the most part. :thumbup:

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's pretty common for pool players to call other pool players out for whatever reason. Especially if a pool player thinks that the person they are calling out isn't as good as they claim to be.

If I had confidence in my game, I wouldn't care whether others thought I could play well or not. I'd let my game speak for itself. If I was really better than everyone was giving me credit for being, I'd end up regularly robbing guys of their lunch money.

Therefore, I wouldn't mind being underrated if it meant constant easy action. After a while, the word would get out and people would begin to show me the respect that I feel I deserve without me having to tell anyone how much of a good player I am.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If Patrick wants to watch Tournament Pool...
I don't want to watch tournaments - I want to watch a show focused on a handful of real pros and how they try to make livings. Preparing for and playing in tournaments would be part of it; so would matching up and gambling, trying to get sponsored, etc.

I've got nothing against this show, just not interested myself. But then I'm a pool addict who hates reality shows, so I'm not the target demographic.

I hope the producers take some candid criticism constructively. I doubt that anything said here will have a significant effect on viewership.

pj
chgo

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the show and wisecracking. Won't beat out likes of CSI but nevertheless pool getting some exposure. Proper attire, decent rooms etc.

2strong4u

Banned
Just curious what you think is better ,,,, Maybe show league played , as that's the life support system carrying pool right now
Boring Turny play , or real pit pool Scooter , Spanky ,Russian Kenny and the gang at 2 am
None of it I see as a gleaming endorsement for parents to bring their kids to the pool room
So help me out ,

This show is fine as a format. I don't think staging matches with such poor editing makes any sense. I don't like phony pretentious individuals who want to make themselves out to be much more than they are. She's just one of those people. It don't hold water in a pool room. If you say you're better then I say bet. I don't think being female should change that. Do you?

I expect the Earl hatch project could be very interesting to players, maybe even casual viewers. Whenever Earl is playing half the event is watching. He has the game and personality too.

Could the likes of Scooter Spanky McCreesh Joey D and others make for an awesome show? I think so. Might be hard to pull off.
People like them and hundreds more short stops fit the Hustlers mode better than 5 friends where most are casual players at best.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know where they intend to get the freshness. After the first half hour of the first episode I had heard all the playground woofing I need to hear for a lifetime - but that seems to be the whole premise of all four episodes so far.

It's the only "story arc" they have so far... and it's too trivial and meaningless.

I don't mean to be pointlessly mean, but I don't think this show will survive long without some more substance - then what will the cheerleaders-no-matter-what have to cheer about?

pj
chgo

Street outlaws on Discovery follows the same premise every week, and it does just fine.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I don't want to watch tournaments - I want to watch a show focused on a handful of real pros and how they try to make livings. Preparing for and playing in tournaments would be part of it; so would matching up and gambling, trying to get sponsored, etc.

I've got nothing against this show, just not interested myself. But then I'm a pool addict who hates reality shows, so I'm not the target demographic.

I hope the producers take some candid criticism constructively. I doubt that anything said here will have a significant effect on viewership.

pj
chgo

I like this idea though I think the current format for the hustlers is probably cheaper to produce with it all taking place in one location (I've only seen the previews). But I do think following an up and coming pro would be a fun show.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All they need to do to make the show watchable by pool players is get rid of the fake list, which does not seem to serve any real purpose and the fake games. Watching a cueball scratch then the same player is shooting in the next scene makes me feel the same way that I do when I overhear two players arguing if it's still a "table scratch" if you hit 3 rails with the cueball.

I'm as interested in who beats who or who does what in this show as I am in who will be the next top model or next top zoo crap sweeper, unless they show that there is actual skill involved in who beats who for what and it's not just them re-shooting a shot till they get what they want.

Who really can care what happens in the show if it's staged?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This show is fine as a format. I don't think staging matches with such poor editing makes any sense. I don't like phony pretentious individuals who want to make themselves out to be much more than they are. She's just one of those people. It don't hold water in a pool room. If you say you're better then I say bet. I don't think being female should change that. Do you?

I expect the Earl hatch project could be very interesting to players, maybe even casual viewers. Whenever Earl is playing half the event is watching. He has the game and personality too.

Could the likes of Scooter Spanky McCreesh Joey D and others make for an awesome show? I think so. Might be hard to pull off.
People like them and hundreds more short stops fit the Hustlers mode better than 5 friends where most are casual players at best.
Well Iv personaly put Ryan in so I'm a little partial to him and the rest of that gang but thier not trying to sell me there trying to sell people who don't know its not real and face it sex sells and you have 3 of the best looking woman pool shooters on the show
Their intent is to get veiwers to the TV not players to the poolrooms

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All they need to do to make the show watchable by pool players is get rid of the fake list, which does not seem to serve any real purpose and the fake games. Watching a cueball scratch then the same player is shooting in the next scene makes me feel the same way that I do when I overhear two players arguing if it's still a "table scratch" if you hit 3 rails with the cueball.

I'm as interested in who beats who or who does what in this show as I am in who will be the next top model or next top zoo crap sweeper, unless they show that there is actual skill involved in who beats who for what and it's not just them re-shooting a shot till they get what they want.

Who really can care what happens in the show if it's staged?

Everything on TV ouside of real sports is staged

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I did notice the cut to a gold crown pocket when playing on a diamond table as an error among others. A big error was when Gary I believe was kicking at the one ball but they showed a diagram of him kicking at the 8 ball, I was like WTF? Other then that it is good for pool and getting some new people in the doors. I have been speaking a good deal with people in the poolrooms about and most have said its terrible and a joke. Personally I will continue to watch it and support it.

P.S. I would play Emily Duddy for sure. I don't doubt she cannot play but I suck and would bet good playing her. She is not a top female pro player. Jennifer on the other hand can still play impressively at times but look what Dechaine did to her, the difference between male pro and female pro is absurd.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did notice the cut to a gold crown pocket when playing on a diamond table as an error among others. A big error was when Gary I believe was kicking at the one ball but they showed a diagram of him kicking at the 8 ball, I was like WTF? Other then that it is good for pool and getting some new people in the doors. I have been speaking a good deal with people in the poolrooms about and most have said its terrible and a joke. Personally I will continue to watch it and support it.

P.S. I would play Emily Duddy for sure. I don't doubt she cannot play but I suck and would bet good playing her. She is not a top female pro player. Jennifer on the other hand can still play impressively at times but look what Dechaine did to her, the difference between male pro and female pro is absurd.

I saw Karren go hill hill with Mike at Snookers on a stream ,, there is no doubt in my mind Kelly Fisher can beat many top pro's on any given day ,,
I don't think the gap is near as far as u think