hey what should a 13mm shaft weigh?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know weight isn't everything but i was hoping for kind of a ball park idea. i just picked up a new mezz shaft and it weighs 4.76 oz. if i post some pictures do you guys think you could rate the shaft wood for me?

i haven't gotten the butt yet so i won't be table to test out the shaft until thursday

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
i know weight isn't everything but i was hoping for kind of a ball park idea. i just picked up a new mezz shaft and it weighs 4.76 oz. if i post some pictures do you guys think you could rate the shaft wood for me?

i haven't gotten the butt yet so i won't be table to test out the shaft until thursday

That would indeed be a heavy shaft if it didn't have a metal insert. Some inserts can weigh nearly 1/2oz depending on how its made. Many though put too much concern into shaft weight. I've seen lots of 4.5oz (without insert) & heavier shafts that were junk. Color & bounce tone seem to tell me much more about a shaft. I'm finding too that the lighter weight shafts lend themselves to having better LD properties. Some of the best playing freak shafts I've seen are a darker honey color with some sugar & mineral content and weigh only 3.5oz (no brass insert) or even a tad less depending on taper & diameter. Bottom line is how does it hit/play for you...thats all thats really important. Don't do a mind job on yourself trying to judge it before you've spent any table time. And then too a shaft you aren't pleased with can be changed 100% with a ferrule, tip, and even taper change.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would indeed be a heavy shaft if it didn't have a metal insert. Some inserts can weigh nearly 1/2oz depending on how its made. Many though put too much concern into shaft weight. I've seen lots of 4.5oz (without insert) & heavier shafts that were junk. Color & bounce tone seem to tell me much more about a shaft. I'm finding too that the lighter weight shafts lend themselves to having better LD properties. Some of the best playing freak shafts I've seen are a darker honey color with some sugar & mineral content and weigh only 3.5oz (no brass insert) or even a tad less depending on taper & diameter. Bottom line is how does it hit/play for you...thats all thats really important. Don't do a mind job on yourself trying to judge it before you've spent any table time. And then too a shaft you aren't pleased with can be changed 100% with a ferrule, tip, and even taper change.

yeah you're right! best just to wait till i get to break the shaft in. thanks

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Non Laminated maple shafts usually run in the 3.5 to 4.5 ounce range, depending on diameter and taper and whether they have brass insert, metal rings or collars on them. Most regular maple shafts 13mm with pro taper and no brass insert or metal would average a little under 4 ounce.
Laminated shafts can often go higher than the 5 ounce range.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

any where from 3.0 t0 5.0
length,taper,wood,joint size and material all make a difference.

bill

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
My playing shaft is a little more than 3 oz. Its straight grained, and pretty stiff for its taper. Would you think it played better if I made it 4 oz. or more?

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
My playing shaft is a little more than 3 oz. Its straight grained, and pretty stiff for its taper. Would you think it played better if I made it 4 oz. or more?
I'd just like to know how you are going to make it an ounce heavier than it is now?????

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
shaft weight

everything i have is 3.4 to 4.1 the 4.1 shafts is 29.5 with ivory ferrules
the average is 3.6 3.7
the only way to tell is to try out a few cues.
each there own .
mike

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if it was heavier the wood might be more or less dense or thick and that would change the way it played.

just trying to provoke a little thought

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Sounds kinda light to me, I never use shaftwood that is less then 6+ Oz.

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What kind of shaft is it? Is it a solid maple or HP2, Alpha or Wd700?

It is very common to see Mezz shaft around 4.2oz or more.
Heavy shaft helps the front end stay down and not float during a shot.

But 4.76 is kinda very heavy. How big is the shaft?

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sugar marks!

As Mr. Varney said it's not just a weight thing. I saw someone post about sugar marks saying a fine cue (expensive I presume) would never leave the cue makers shop with sugar marks in the shaft! A visual cosmetic thing I guess. My new custom cue has several quite visible sugar marks on one of the shafts. The cue maker actually told me about them before delivery and assured me it's ok, just cosmetic. A local cue maker was admiring my cue and says let me see that shaft. He says that's good wood. I said yeah but it's got these sugar marks on it. He laughs and says yeah that's why I like it. He's a good guy and I trust him. He also said let me have first shot at my shaft if I ever want to get rid of it! It's also a little darker than most shafts.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
My favorite shaft weighs in at 4.2 oz 13.0 mm and has a ping when you bounce it on concrete that sounds like you just struck a high pitched bell. (ZYLR).