Who Was Bucktooth?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On some of the Sands Reno tournament DVDs from the 1990s I have every now and then I hear Billy or Buddy or Grady talk about someone having a match with Bucktooth after the tournament matches are over.

Who is/was Bucktooth?

r/DCP

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re friends with Mary Kenniston on Facebook, she collects and posts a lot of golden era pool pictures. You can find pictures of Bucktooth if you know how to search.

df81534bae4bdf4af0319449b24a0957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Richard Cook? Probably one of the nittiest and loud mouthed pool players I’ve seen in 50 years of pool. Not a bad man I don’t think. I heard he was a jeweler. I read where he played a decent speed of one pocket at one time. His schtick is amusing for about 5 minutes then it became sad and sickening. In the early 2000s he’d tote around his Keno board for action. I first saw his antics in the 80s up at Great American Billiards which became Hard Times Sacramento. Somebody else can tell us if he is still with us or not.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's still around SF East Bay Area. I would seen him from time to time but it's been a few months. Never see him play just watch and chat. Turned a department store into Pool Hall that lasted a few years back in in the 90's where I live. Think he has has settled from younger days.

-Kat,

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
He was a above average pool player....Not an easy game.....Loves to gamble..Carries large, large bundles of money around...Saw him 2 -3 years ago in Vegas and pulled out $60,000 from every pocket he had..His store was robbed years ago and he and his wife were injured.....It was all in the news...
I really don't know any good stories about him but have read and heard plenty...Maybe someone will come on and tell a few..He was quite a character....

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here he is from 3 years ago, tha last time I saw him. Accu-stats had a great 30 min video of him woofin' at Efren, busty, whomever during late night at a Reno tourney from years ago.

Attachments

• Daves Trip 2015 561-25%.jpg
    Daves Trip 2015 561-25%.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,183

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On some of the Sands Reno tournament DVDs from the 1990s I have every now and then I hear Billy or Buddy or Grady talk about someone having a match with Bucktooth after the tournament matches are over.

Who is/was Bucktooth?

r/DCP
I first saw him play in 1966 in a local all-around tournament of 14.1, 9 and 1P. Bill Stroud played in that tournament, too. 'Tooth played a good one-handed game.

I remember a big 9 ball match he had with Cole Dickson, who was about 16 at the time. I think Cole must have won it because Bucktooth proposed a change to one pocket which Cole declined.

He used to have a room called the Carousel in Castro Valley. It had one of the toughest 10-foot snooker tables I've ever seen -- you could not make the black off its spot at speed.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I was playing in a small pool room years ago in Gilroy CA and got to meet the tooth. Yes he was a loud mouth but reminded me of many characters that play the game well. Sort of a Minnesota Fats personality.

GoldRush cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big money gambler with a big colorful personality . He was famous for showing up to a room and barking at everybody that he had more $100 bills in his pockets then the whole room had any denomination of bills put together . He was a jeweler .hehad to hire body guards after being robbed at a pool hall . I don’t remember the names or the situation when he was robbed . Maybe somebody. Here does? I haven’t seen him in years, but I haven’t been around his normal haunts either.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't bucktooth the guy with the board game of some sort at DCC a few years ago which the owners shut down when they found out about it?