Bonus ball professional league announced

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
For the most part the Captains of each team were chosen for certain cities due to their geographical backgrounds IE: Johnny Archer Atlanta, Corey Deuel Miami....etc from there they were given the freedom to choose which players they wanted to fill out the rest of their team with..... The idea in the initial launch is to create an association with those cities as well as the individual players..... and to build a relationship with the fanbase utilizing both ..... these players are full of character and that is one of things that we plan to try and bring out into a more visible light through different venues including...player spotlights and a possible Ultimate fighter style reality showcase......

Have no bones to pick with any of the selections on the roll out... I am hoping against hope that this is a new dawn... I know Nathan and Lee... Well definitely Lee more than Nathan but if they are ALL in.. I am willing to bet something........

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Good luck to everyone involved in this venture.

Just a general comment about human behavioral patterns. People usually are attracted to watching games that they are familiar with and/or play themselves. Over the years, the major established sports have not strayed too far from their basic games in order to maintain their already established support base. I wonder why the pool world "executives" would want to abandon basic, established, games with 100 plus years of proven staying power to re-invent a game which may not even retain it's own established base following. I know I found it difficult to watch the entire promo video without losing interest.

Not bashing, just a little puzzled...good luck again.

J

Jimmy, I think the reason for the new game is because the old games are just old and played out so to speak. I think people see 8 or 9 ball on TV and they just overlook it and turn the channel, seeing jerseys, lights, the pretty ball spotters, and a new game might get them to not skip over and see what its about. I love all games and think if an old game were to be picked it would be 8 ball. The team aspect besides Mosconi Cup has really not been done too much and could be the key to success.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'd get away from the football jerseys, I understand the idea but they don't make the players look athletic. They look like drunk fans in a sports bar wearing the colors of their favorite team. Go with polo shirts or even Hawaiian style shirts. But gotta have collars.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
After watching the entire match, I would like to compliment Rodney during the match. He did a nice job of explaining the rules during the match, and even added a little humor in as well.

The shot clock and game clocks are killers in this format. When the players get more familiar with the game, I think this is going to provide some situational opportunities for amazing shot making and comeback performances. I'm not 100% sure of the correct game strategies to be employed yet. Whatever the correct strategy, players must think fast on their feet because the clock is definitely a big part of the game as well.

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
I liked it.....But one big problem

NO ONE IS GOING TO PAY TO WATCH IT

The only way is to air it for free until a tv network picks it up. With so many stream options and tv with over 1000 channels. Major sport being somewhat free to watch. Why is any normal person going to watch this and pay for it to boot. That tactic to try and earn some capital back is totally justified...but it will kill it Ihmo. Way to soon to be talking ppv and stream cost. Justin at TAR has built a great thing....I mean a truly great thing. But I think even he is hurting on the numbers of actual buyers. If he can't get people to buy his two and three day long matches how are you going to sell 90 min matches. That all being said I like it.....But all I found was the 41 min match. I couldn't find the full 90 min or the other players besides archer and klatt. I hope this works and brings pool into mainstream so you have my vote all the way.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
As for rules, I will agree that once you have watched it and start to absorb it, it does start to make more sense. There are a few new detailed aspects to keep track of, but I'm already starting to get used to them. I think that part of my problem was that a couple of things were not really explained well in the Johnny video. BTW, have a couple of things changed since that video was made?

One question, can you play successive "defensive" shots? Or are you limited to one per inning? One per game?

I will agree that the uniforms are a bit snarky. but I've thought even the most recent Mosconi Cup uniforms are even snarky. I agree with the comment about just using collared polo shirts of the team color. But maybe with a good sized team logo on the back and chest. Like a 6 inch logo in the middle of the back and a 2 inch logo on the shirt pocket area.

The commentator desk is backwards. The guy in the middle (Rodney in this case) has his back to the other two, which makes him look uncomfortable. Mean while the other two are looking at each other across the back of the guy in the middle. The arrangement is awkward. Flip the table 180 degree so that the people are siting outside the arc. This way they are all facing inward towards each other.

Here is one pet peve I have about ALL sports. The score graphics on the screen will inevitably block the action. How long have we had graphics on the screen now?? How long will it take before people will figure out how to frame the camera shot to leave room for the action and not have the action blocked. I mean even the major sports still do this. DRIVES ME INSANE!!

Watching the 40 minute video, I will say that it does seem to be an interesting and challenging game.

Fatz

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I liked it.....But one big problem

NO ONE IS GOING TO PAY TO WATCH IT

The only way is to air it for free until a tv network picks it up. With so many stream options and tv with over 1000 channels. Major sport being somewhat free to watch. Why is any normal person going to watch this and pay for it to boot. That tactic to try and earn some capital back is totally justified...but it will kill it Ihmo. Way to soon to be talking ppv and stream cost. Justin at TAR has built a great thing....I mean a truly great thing. But I think even he is hurting on the numbers of actual buyers. If he can't get people to buy his two and three day long matches how are you going to sell 90 min matches. That all being said I like it.....But all I found was the 41 min match. I couldn't find the full 90 min or the other players besides archer and klatt. I hope this works and brings pool into mainstream so you have my vote all the way.

The 90 minute video I have seen is USA vs Canada, I am unsure when they will release it but its great to watch. :)

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PDF.gif

Maybe they should add the rule about apostrophes to those PDFs.

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first decided to help Larry develop this game, it was because I was looking for a game of billiards, just the way Bonus Ball played. I loved the strategy and the tough shots. Here is what I said to myself, if I show 100 people this game and if they tell me they really like it, that will tell me what my market share could be.

At all levels, the answer was nearly 100%. Not 50% which would have made me happy, not 25% which would have been exciting too...

Asking 100 players who never played the game, it dropped to about 10%.

What's my point? Once I have someone take the time to play the game, they are sold on it! Not everyone, but a insanely high percentage of pool players love the game. In marketing lingo, this concept is a winner. It will capture it's own market, it will capture new players and it will be fun to watch these new teams battle for the championship.

I had a nice chat with TAR's Justin and we do agree that we have two different products to film and that hopefully we can co-exist. Since we are practically next door neighbors in Las Vegas, it seems to be a good deal. We both love pool, we both enjoy watching it and we both are leaning heavily on filming it. We both want to present it in the best possible and professional way.

Bonus Ball is simply pool. Instead of ball elimination it is a scoring game. I don't need to teach anything but the rules and away they go! I play in the pool halls without a scoreboard, referee or attractive ladies spotting balls. I don't need Lee Brett to referee. There are no fancy light system need to be set up. I score with pennies and simply enjoy playing the game. I can't stand playing it with solid and stripes though, it just does not seem right. Yes, I had to send some money to Aramith to play with these ball sets but I like driving new vehicles and I like the look of the new ball set. My preference and I could careless if I saw some playing the game with some cheap Walmart ball sets or playing with the same set as the WPBL uses. I really don't care!

My main goal has always been to see players playing a modern game, in my opinion, it just makes more sense in the year 2012! Everything else in this world has progressed so why should pool remain in the 1900's? I just don't get that? Will people buy a PPV of the Johnny Archer's Atlanta Scorpions playing Scott Frost's Phoenix Flames??? Some of you probably won't but many pool fans and new fans will! I also think that the majority of our viewership will be from Atlanta and Phoenix on that night. A typical team match will take a few hours just like any other sport and that's really as long as I want to watch any sporting event.

Our FREE PPV is found at www.playbonusball.com. Check it out and I hope you like it. If not, maybe the band wagon will still have room for you by the play-offs. Go Toronto Blue Sharks!:smile:

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing Bonus Ball can do at this juncture to ensure a positive reception by the public is to follow through on paying all those involved timely. As long as a business entity has a good track record and abides by the agreements initially made, they will go far.

Once the IPT (International Pool Tour) said they couldn't pay what they initially had said they would pay, it was all over but the crying. One disgruntled person soon led to an army of disgruntled persons.

"Everything's not funny when you're not paid that money." :eek:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Maybe they should add the rule about apostrophes to those PDFs.

Haha, burnnn. Incorrect use of these drive's me nut's too ;)

But using it to pluralize acronyms is becoming so common that it's accepted under some writing guidelines. So not a huge issue.

One thing that DOES need fixing is the actual rules documents. Besides being kinda corny ("Easy as 1-2-3! You Win [21]")... they actually are making a simple game more complicated by making 12 separate documents that someone must download and print just to have a complete set of rules.

And why are they numbered 130, 210, etc.? Is this the military? Are we writing in BASIC?

These should be in a single document, or at most 2 (separate set for the advanced version). Lose most of the graphics and footer.

Last edited:

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, Larry's marketing guru geared the rules at a 12 year old because he convinced Larry the the rules needed to be written so a child could understand them. The logic behind that was because the other pool games were so simplistic that his game needed to be too! This was all done behind my back while I was in Las Vegas playing in the VNEA's! When I came back I went ballistic and I almost quit in disgust! My philosophy was there are two main stream games that are easy as 1-2-3. We can't compete with them and I waged a war to bring this game to where it is today! A real thinking man's game that is very, very hard to run-out. Of course all the top players love the game because they are all at a higher level with me.

The 12 different PDFs where made because the 12 year old had a hard time reading and remembering the rules when they were all together. I find that written rules are nice to look back on to reassure yourself that you are playing the game correctly but just watch the professional playing this season will make any pool player an expert on the game! I look back in time when I first started playing league. I thought eight ball rules would never end. After a year of foul this and foul that, I got them. Being that Bonus Ball follows all the good rules of all the other games, picking up the rules will be a snap, if you want to learn them!

To really learn the game, start watching these professional games in action! Tonight it is Johnny Archer and Jason Klatt! www.playbonusball.com

Last edited:

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary, can you please scale down your picture so I don't have to scroll back and forth just to read every line in this thread.

I like the idea of the teams and the game clock. You could get people to start watching just because it is their home team.

Why does the game stop at 30? It should just go on until the time is up like every other sport. Also I don't like the color of the balls. They don't make sense. Why is purple, orange, black? Should be something people can recognize like green, yellow, red. Or just solid, stripe, 8 ball.

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent question about why those particular colors. The Black for the Bonus Ball is because Larry and I really liked the look of it! The orange and purple balls where chosen by Larry some 10 years ago when he was developing the game. Probably the two contrasting colors, I don't know. Maybe he could of chosen red and yellow like they use in Europe in Black Ball. Maybe he could just use four solids and four stripes. Who really cares! I am told that the colors are outstanding for contrast against the grey cloth, which makes the table look bigger than if it was blue or green. Honestly, it a mute point. The WPBL has chosen to go with these colors. When I first started playing Snooker, I never cared that they didn't use solid and stripes. Different game so why not different balls. The are round, 2.25 and roll into pockets to make points!

Why not play to 30 points, 21 points or 50 points and to hell with the clock. There are many reason but the big one is we wanted to make sure the game does not play too long. No doubt many of you have watched many a long boring defensive pool matches. Bonus Ball forces players to bear down and make points!

Not every sport plays to a certain point structure. Hockey, football, soccer, baseball etc. all play to a certain time limit and the score can be 10-5 or 15-5 it does not matter. We have gone this route for many reason. We do have a shoot-out to end ties and you always have a winner. If I fly in from Atlanta to watch the Scorpions play, I want a winner of the match and a loser. We provide that too. Relax, take your shoes off, I have put four long years into refining this game and for the most part, everything makes sense when you understand why certain rules are necessary! The time and the score have been look at and adjusted because we have done our homework. Thank You for these questions!

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bonus Ball

I think the team jerseys are a nice touch. It screams team sport!

JimmyWhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent question about why those particular colors. The Black for the Bonus Ball is because Larry and I really liked the look of it! The orange and purple balls where chosen by Larry some 10 years ago when he was developing the game. Probably the two contrasting colors, I don't know. Maybe he could of chosen red and yellow like they use in Europe in Black Ball. Maybe he could just use four solids and four stripes. Who really cares! I am told that the colors are outstanding for contrast against the grey cloth, which makes the table look bigger than if it was blue or green. Honestly, it a mute point. The WPBL has chosen to go with these colors. When I first started playing Snooker, I never cared that they didn't use solid and stripes. Different game so why not different balls. The are round, 2.25 and roll into pockets to make points!

Why not play to 30 points, 21 points or 50 points and to hell with the clock. There are many reason but the big one is we wanted to make sure the game does not play too long. No doubt many of you have watched many a long boring defensive pool matches. Bonus Ball forces players to bear down and make points!

Not every sport plays to a certain point structure. Hockey, football, soccer, baseball etc. all play to a certain time limit and the score can be 10-5 or 15-5 it does not matter. We have gone this route for many reason. We do have a shoot-out to end ties and you always have a winner. If I fly in from Atlanta to watch the Scorpions play, I want a winner of the match and a loser. We provide that too. Relax, take your shoes off, I have put four long years into refining this game and for the most part, everything makes sense when you understand why certain rules are necessary! The time and the score have been look at and adjusted because we have done our homework. Thank You for these questions!

I think it is a very good effort. The streamed event seems like something ESPN could air live.

meximan2469

WPBL
Silver Member
As you know you can now view the first promotional WPBL video at www.playbonusball.com.

There have been a lot of questions regarding the video and some of the things going forward so I will do my best to answer them for you.

1. The video was filmed in May in Las Vegas in a temporary arena set up at the Bonus Ball Studios.

2. The video was filmed during a WPBL Orientation camp which was put together as an opportunity to teach the pros the game and share ideas and visions in an open forum

3. The jerseys were temporary first drafts made just days before the orientation.... The actual league will have each player wear properly fitting and styled jerseys.

4. The table used was a Brunswick Gold Crown V..... 4.5 x 9 . And to the best of my knowledge it will continue to be the table used. The Idea of a 5x10 was mentioned on more than one occasion.... which explains why Rodney would mention that in the commentary.

5. The pockets were marked with Gold and Silver stars which was a last second idea.... for the season the table will have 3 white pockets (actual pocket as well as pocket coverings) those will always be the home team pockets and 3 black pockets (including coverings) which will be for the away team.

6. The website is going over a complete professional overhaul and will soon be re-launched in a very well designed and easy to read format.

7. Although it did not come to it in the Klatt vs Archer match...... had neither player been able to reach 30pts by the time the 15:00 clock expired... the player at the table would be allowed to finish their run. If they did not then reach 30 the game would go to a "Shootout" to determine a winner. The player with the highest score would get one turn at the table starting with a break and shoot and they would try and get their score to 30. The player trailing would then get an opportunity to break and shoot and try to accumulate their total to 30 as well. If neither player reached 30.... the player with the highest total would be declared the winner and receive 2pts in the match. If both players reached 30 then the pts will be divided 1 each for the match.

8. I can't say exact #'s but the PPV costs will be VERY reasonable..... with multiple options and packages available.

9. This is Vegas baby.... of course we need beautiful girls.... the act of re-spotting balls is pretty tedious.... the bonus ball ref's job is to enforce the rules as well as to inform the players and fans of the current game situation including ball color, time remaining, timeouts called and points away from victory.

Barry please correct me if any of this info is wrong.

Keep the questions coming for us....:cool:

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Id just like to clarify a few things that I feel are very important.

The first is that these are experimental test episodes. We're using temporary equipment, temp jerseys, the rules were still being modified, the set was makeshift, and even the sportsdesk is really the kiosk from the buildings reception area. All of these messy details will be replaced with proper items before the season begins.

The commentary was also an experiment. We tried a few things, and will adapt as we get a better idea of what we feel is best. The players will also get better with coaching and practice.

Also keep in mind that were intentionally straying away from the norm. Pool has been doing the same thing for decades. It hasnt worked, so why keep trying the same thing while expecting different results? Change is good.

As for the production quality, this is the unpolished live stream quality. A TV quality version will be released later featuring team Canada VS team USA. It includes much more polish, live statistics, player graphics, etc.

Lastly, the problem with clearly identifying the pockets has been solved. The home team will wear white jerseys, and have white covered pockets, while the away team will have dark jerseys and have dark pockets.