Hard to believe but I just watched the worst pool movie ever

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
As for the Baltimore Bullet, my first reaction to it was shame and revulsion, but it's really not that bad. And you get to see a lot of the top players of the era.

And it has one of the best movie lines ever: I taught you everything you know, but I didn't teach you everything I know...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it won a few Academy Awards, but I never watched the whole thing. :)

Here’s the trailer of this masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/LGBGFf-H46U

People actually spent time and money to make this "film!" That's what always amazes me. There is one film that is so bad that it has a cult following. I wish I could remember the name right now. Made by some eccentric character from San Francisco. No one knew much about the guy but he kept writing checks that didn't bounce so they acted out his fantasy for him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, reviews on Amazon are really that bad. Much worse than worthless. As bad as Yelp. By contrast, Amazon has "The Hustler" as 4.6 so you should conclude that "Heartbreak" is the better movie. On IMDB "Heartbreak" is rated at 5.7/10. The actual written reviews of "Heartbreak" on IMDB are favorable.

Oh, the movie!?! Has anyone else watched it? You can watch the trailer here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det..._tt_wbr_pvt_aiv?tag=imdbtag_tt_wbr_pvt_aiv-20

Ewa Laurence actually made a cameo appearance in this movie! One of the film's writers is Wayne Catledge, who was a pretty good pool player himself.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice.

As for Kiss Shot with Whoopie Goldberg, it has a special place in my heart since I appeared in it. The tournament scene was shot in the ballroom of the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. I'm one of the players in a tuxedo. I got $75/day but had to rent the tuxedo. I have never managed to watch it all the way through. KS gives me a Bacon Number of 2 since Kevin acted with the male lead of KS.

As for the Baltimore Bullet, my first reaction to it was shame and revulsion, but it's really not that bad. And you get to see a lot of the top players of the era.

I was right there with you Bob. Jerry Briesath convinced me to drive up there and be an extra as well. I was one of the pool players in some scenes. Jerry told me that Whoopie was the worst person he had ever tried to coach. He couldn't even get her to hold a cue properly. It was embarrassing watching her try to make a ball. She couldn't. Not even a hanger! Most of her shots were miscues. I doubt she made any shot that was shown on the film. Zero, nada, none!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I finally saw a pool movie worse than "Pool Hall Junkies". Found an old one from 1984 starring Johnny Cash. He should have stuck to singing. This was a truly cringe worthy movie. "The Baron and the Kid". I would however do anything to buy the pool room he was looking to buy. If I could describe what I would like to have in a pool room, that would be it.

What do "Pool Hall Junkies" and "The Baron and The Kid" have in common? Mike Massey appeared in both of them. I think these were the only two that he appeared in.

Bob

I liked that movie. It was shot near where I lived at the time. They measured our outreach center for a pool hall scene and found it too small by a few feet.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice.

----

You also got to see a lot of the topless players of the era :)

I was not expecting for much nudity in that movie.

Well I finally saw a pool movie worse than "Pool Hall Junkies". Found an old one from 1984 starring Johnny Cash. He should have stuck to singing. This was a truly cringe worthy movie. "The Baron and the Kid". I would however do anything to buy the pool room he was looking to buy. If I could describe what I would like to have in a pool room, that would be it.

What do "Pool Hall Junkies" and "The Baron and The Kid" have in common? Mike Massey appeared in both of them. I think these were the only two that he appeared in.

Bob

Have you not seen the movie, 9-Ball?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1934166/

That movie, and other very low budget films, that I cant think of right now, are on a completely different level of bad.

I understand that the pool segments in Poolhall Junkies were laughable, but so were the pool segments in, The Color of Money.

Other then the pool playing, I actually really enjoyed Poolhall Junkies. Love Christopher Walken, and Chazz Palminteri. I thought it was a pretty cool movie, if you can forgive the horrible pool playing in it.

Anyways, that was far from the worst pool movie ever made.

Have you watched Kiss Shot, with Whoopi Goldberg? That movie is hilariously bad, when it comes to being a pool movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097671/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member

I would let Chexy play with one of my house cues.

Wait .. what are we talking about? Oh, bad movies, ummm, Position Impossible was pretty lame. Ohhhhh, pool movies. Yeah uh, I haven't seen 9-Ball yet, but while it doesn't look stellar I would sit down with it.

I think they all teach people some really bad habits and give them unrealistic expectations but then again every movie I see where someone hacks a computer system or tries to discuss science just makes me laugh or cry. Sometimes both.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Those two are nowhere near the worst pool movies.

Check out 9 ball. Tell me it doesnt feel like a 1990s Cinemax titty movie. :thumbup:

Those Cinemax movies at least served a purpose if you were desperate.

9 Ball is just void of any redeeming value.