Hard to believe but I just watched the worst pool movie ever

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I finally saw a pool movie worse than "Pool Hall Junkies". Found an old one from 1984 starring Johnny Cash. He should have stuck to singing. This was a truly cringe worthy movie. "The Baron and the Kid". I would however do anything to buy the pool room he was looking to buy. If I could describe what I would like to have in a pool room, that would be it.

What do "Pool Hall Junkies" and "The Baron and The Kid" have in common? Mike Massey appeared in both of them. I think these were the only two that he appeared in.

Bob

I liked that movie, they got the pool jargon and how the players acted down really well. As far as being a "good" movie eh, it's like a TV movie. But how they talked about the game they really sounded like players.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also, if we're going to talk about bad pool/snooker movies, we can't leave out this awesome scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evUDgwXJAwk
Nice.

As for Kiss Shot with Whoopie Goldberg, it has a special place in my heart since I appeared in it. The tournament scene was shot in the ballroom of the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. I'm one of the players in a tuxedo. I got $75/day but had to rent the tuxedo. I have never managed to watch it all the way through. KS gives me a Bacon Number of 2 since Kevin acted with the male lead of KS.

As for the Baltimore Bullet, my first reaction to it was shame and revulsion, but it's really not that bad. And you get to see a lot of the top players of the era.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Nice.

As for Kiss Shot with Whoopie Goldberg, it has a special place in my heart since I appeared in it. The tournament scene was shot in the ballroom of the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. I'm one of the players in a tuxedo. I got $75/day but had to rent the tuxedo. I have never managed to watch it all the way through. KS gives me a Bacon Number of 2 since Kevin acted with the male lead of KS.

As for the Baltimore Bullet, my first reaction to it was shame and revulsion, but it's really not that bad. And you get to see a lot of the top players of the era.

Hollywoods bottom line is making movies for profit, if they do something that is great, and box office sales boom worldwide their goal is reached.

Sometimes I watch some military movie, and the props are wrong, the uniforms are wound, medal worn are arranged in workoing order. I say who were the technicals advisors? This was total elcrap, but if the movie does well in the box office that is goal accomplished.

Saving private Ryan were it D-Day and the allied troops are hitting the beach is very realistic accord to people who were actually there. Many WW-II Vets got flashback, and left tramitized. That was not Hollywood attempt, but IMHO they gave you the feeling for what it mush have been like.

Pool movies are just entertaining, can not do it better then The Hustler & Color of Money but they keep trying.

Sadly extra pay is nothing $75.00/day was I am sure scale at the time, plus normally the lunches are catered, and not bad. Extra normally also get a FREE LUNCH.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Nice.

The Simpsons had the ultimate burn on Whoopie Goldberg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIYc1IPA-08

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Heartbreak is worse .
I thought you were talking about psoriasis, but no....

stolen from IMDB:

Storyline
The film is based on the life of a one time award winning professional billiard champion down on his luck who encounters a young Korean woman seeking to become the billiard world champion to save her son's life. What ensues is an emotional and dramatic journey leading to a climactic event that will change their lives forever. Written by Randy M. Dyer

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought you were talking about psoriasis, but no....

stolen from IMDB:

Storyline
The film is based on the life of a one time award winning professional billiard champion down on his luck who encounters a young Korean woman seeking to become the billiard world champion to save her son's life. What ensues is an emotional and dramatic journey leading to a climactic event that will change their lives forever. Written by Randy M. Dyer
It got a few 5-star reviews on Amazon. Is it really that bad??

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It got a few 5-star reviews on Amazon. Is it really that bad??
Yes, reviews on Amazon are really that bad. Much worse than worthless. As bad as Yelp. By contrast, Amazon has "The Hustler" as 4.6 so you should conclude that "Heartbreak" is the better movie. On IMDB "Heartbreak" is rated at 5.7/10. The actual written reviews of "Heartbreak" on IMDB are favorable.

Oh, the movie!?! Has anyone else watched it? You can watch the trailer here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det..._tt_wbr_pvt_aiv?tag=imdbtag_tt_wbr_pvt_aiv-20

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yes, reviews on Amazon are really that bad. Much worse than worthless. As bad as Yelp. By contrast, Amazon has "The Hustler" as 4.6 so you should conclude that "Heartbreak" is the better movie. On IMDB "Heartbreak" is rated at 5.7/10. The actual written reviews of "Heartbreak" on IMDB are favorable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det..._tt_wbr_pvt_aiv?tag=imdbtag_tt_wbr_pvt_aiv-20

It's free on TUBI tv.
You know a movie is bad when the opening scene is a drunk guy sleeping in a room of disarray .
Believe it or not, a good number of screenplays start that way.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Watched the trailer. Doesn't look any worse than "Junkies". Other than the lion speech scene that entire movie is a waste of time.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most movies about pool are going to be disappointing to serious players as the pool scenes usually are some form of a trick shot or something really basic. But, I will always have a soft spot for movies with pool and will at least watch them. I remember seeing the Baron and the Kid as a kid as it was a made for tv special in the early 80's. Years later I purchased a copy on vhs I think it might even been from Jay Helfert iirc. I still have it and I think it's entertaining.

As a side note, when Johnny Cash passed away they did an online auction for his estate. There were two cues, first was an merry widow type of Jim Rempe Adams cue which typically was worth around 100 bucks at the time. The cue I was interested in was from the Baron movie that was made by Mcdermott for the movie. They had listed the cue's worth at about 650. I had sent in a bid for 1200. The first cues sold was the Adams and it went for 1450. So, I knew I had no chance at the Mcdermott, it went for over 5500. I've always wondered where that cue ended up at and would love to see some up close pics.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago I had very nice collection of pool movies. I like Johnny Cash, so I liked The Baron and the Kid.

I had a few decent movies and a very rare one titled "Chalk". It's a low budget and very dark movie. There was also The Baltimore Bullet, and one with Whoopi Goldberg, and a few more.

None have surpassed The Hustler as the best of all time.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a made for tv movie, what would you expect? There are WAY worse movies about pool, like "virgin pockets", "kiss shot" and others.

Watch this garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIutVllgDiM

I was thinking the same thing. I can almost guarantee that people who think Pool Hall Junkies or The Color Of Money are the worst pool movies have not seen some of the other movies out there.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago I had very nice collection of pool movies. I like Johnny Cash, so I liked The Baron and the Kid.

I had a few decent movies and a very rare one titled "Chalk". It's a low budget and very dark movie. There was also The Baltimore Bullet, and one with Whoopi Goldberg, and a few more.

None have surpassed The Hustler as the best of all time.

The one with Whoopi is Kiss Shot.

https://youtu.be/vbU-fy-UJno