Gabby from Houston.......

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have never suspected that he was anything like this. I played him a couple of times in the 70's. Quite, dressed well, and played real well. You never know about a person.

Frank was he a tall guy maybe 6’2’’ or or a little taller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who gives a rats ass if he still plays good? A better question would be: Has any of the victim's grandsons showed up to the pool room to break his legs?. Scum bag.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Who gives a rats ass if he still plays good? A better question would be: Has any of the victim's grandsons showed up to the pool room to break his legs?. Scum bag.

Exactly.

Don't know id I'd even want to have to play him and shake his hand. Certainly would watch my back a little more than usual. Zebras don't usually change their stripes.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I gambled with em allot in S. Cal. 77-80. He used tah have two other brothers with em, they dressed nicely both a little older than he.

Never once had Any kind of problem (we gambled every time we crossed paths) with him, payout or anything, just business and always a good score for me.

When I heard about his changing ways, or whatever the rumor mill created, I was somewhat surprised, tho I only knew the man's character thru match play, and he was Very respectful and fair.

Like Frank said, yah never know the real man, when your only on bed with em on the green felts.

And back then, they didn't use Blue Simonis:). Much....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I gambled with em allot in S. Cal. 77-80. He used tah have two other brothers with em, they dressed nicely both a little older than he.

Never once had Any kind of problem (we gambled every time we crossed paths) with him, payout or anything, just business and always a good score for me.

When I heard about his changing ways, or whatever the rumor mill created, I was somewhat surprised, tho I only knew the man's character thru match play, and he was Very respectful and fair.

Like Frank said, yah never know the real man, when your only on bed with em on the green felts.

And back then, they didn't use Blue Simonis:). Much....

You beat Gabby playing 9-Ball even?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you must of missed my post # 60
I di d miss it. I read enough long before # 60 so as to base an opinion. A big concern now is he's probably doing the same thing so I hope somebody gets to him before he gets arrested. Jails for animals cost civilized folks $$$ that could better be spent elsewhere!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
something that bothers me a little today

Almost everyone on this forum celebrates the great action days of Detroit, never mind that drug money fueled almost all of it. We are quick to forget the crimes of most good pool players, this dirtbag beating old ladies being one of the few beyond the pall. We all have sweet little old ladies in our families and can relate to the victims. Most of the easy money floating around pool halls is from people who can't legally declare the income. The rest comes from gambling addicts that can't resist throwing good money after bad until they are broke. The other money is either small amounts or damned hard to get, smart money is tough money.

When I gambled nightly I was well aware I was taking money from pimps, drug dealers, gigolos, mostly lowlifes of all descriptions. Back then there were always a few hustlers around living on the margin. They weren't so much pool hustlers as hustlers chasing a dollar. Horses, cards, dice, all kinds of petty crime, occasionally some would dip into major crime. Some of the people that were nice guys at the pool hall went down for major crimes. I wouldn't have associated with someone that was robbing little old ladies but with no proof I wouldn't have turned him in either. I wasn't real fond of the police and had contacted them once about a prominent murder. They weren't interested.

I had to get a little older and gain a little social consciousness before all of the dirty money I won came to bother me. At the time I was just a shark among sharks and money was as much a way of keeping score as anything else. Of course I didn't give it back after the session was over! Part of me says money is money, it has no past. Another part says that the money I won meant I indirectly profited from the crimes that the person I took it from committed. Anybody in business takes money from criminals for goods and services without a thought, I did at my businesses too. Somehow winning it gambling seems different.

A morals issue I have that I can't really solve. My head says one thing, my heart another. The old picture earlier in the thread looks very very familiar. Probably mistaken but I'll never know for sure.

Hu

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I thought the same thing.

Yeah it was a bizarre post, but welcome.

This guy is definitely a piece. I’m still interested in his pool game however. I’d like to know the effects prison has on a really good player. You can train yourself plenty inside but you’d have to be damn lucky to get somewhere with a pool table. And hearing that this guy was all that and a bag of jerry curl grease I wanna know what 15-20 years away did to him.

Should they have put him on a treadmill over a vat of molten metal? Probably but it is what it is and he be on parole and trying to win a TX pool tournament

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does he still have a good game? I read he was eligible to get out sometime in 18 so I guess he’s had a little time to practice.
He did win a few matches on the winners side before he lost and went to loser side of the bracket.

He's around his mid 60's and been locked up last 15-20 years, his game looks a bit rusty.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Almost everyone on this forum celebrates the great action days of Detroit, never mind that drug money fueled almost all of it. We are quick to forget the crimes of most good pool players, this dirtbag beating old ladies being one of the few beyond the pall. We all have sweet little old ladies in our families and can relate to the victims. Most of the easy money floating around pool halls is from people who can't legally declare the income. The rest comes from gambling addicts that can't resist throwing good money after bad until they are broke. The other money is either small amounts or damned hard to get, smart money is tough money.

When I gambled nightly I was well aware I was taking money from pimps, drug dealers, gigolos, mostly lowlifes of all descriptions. Back then there were always a few hustlers around living on the margin. They weren't so much pool hustlers as hustlers chasing a dollar. Horses, cards, dice, all kinds of petty crime, occasionally some would dip into major crime. Some of the people that were nice guys at the pool hall went down for major crimes. I wouldn't have associated with someone that was robbing little old ladies but with no proof I wouldn't have turned him in either. I wasn't real fond of the police and had contacted them once about a prominent murder. They weren't interested.

I had to get a little older and gain a little social consciousness before all of the dirty money I won came to bother me. At the time I was just a shark among sharks and money was as much a way of keeping score as anything else. Of course I didn't give it back after the session was over! Part of me says money is money, it has no past. Another part says that the money I won meant I indirectly profited from the crimes that the person I took it from committed. Anybody in business takes money from criminals for goods and services without a thought, I did at my businesses too. Somehow winning it gambling seems different.

A morals issue I have that I can't really solve. My head says one thing, my heart another. The old picture earlier in the thread looks very very familiar. Probably mistaken but I'll never know for sure.

Hu .

As you said, Hu, taking book, pimping, forgery, even selling drugs, are almost all considered "white collar" crimes when compared to violence against civilians, especially when the victims are children and women, even the "law" and other criminals recognize this. Taking their money gambling is just as natural as evolution or destiny. I'm no priest, but rest easy. Probably every dollar bill ever made originates from one crime, or another.

Personally, I never went down the pool rabbit hole that deep, virtually stopped playing, except for once or twice a year, for almost thirty years, started again playing tournaments...no gambling. An occasional low life, but mostly currently working class, ex-players, and some semi or low-level pros.