LED Light vs Diamond Light

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had the eBay light up for about a week now. I've gotten used to the glare somewhat. The glare is still too strong.

Interestingly, the lady was over (non pool player), some quotes from her:
"That light is obnoxious"
"That light is ugly, put the old one back" (referring to the aesthetic style)
"That light is blue"
And my favorite: "That light is brighter than the ****ing sun"

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had the eBay light up for about a week now. I've gotten used to the glare somewhat. The glare is still too strong.

"That light is blue"

Have you tried a dimmer? You probably just need a suitable transformer.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Mark Gregory and I put in a light recently that he built to match an anniversary or centennial,with 2 LED panels inside- Best lit table I've ever seen. Panels hidden inside light frame, like fluorescents on a diamond light- results.... Virtually zero shadows, light straight down and even everywhere. I will never have anything less at home again.my .02 worth.

Attachments

• 0806151702c.jpg
    0806151702c.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 596
  • 0806152009.jpg
    0806152009.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 525

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice. What were the specs on the panel? What is its color temperature? I can't tell from the picture is there a grate installed, or is the only diffuser the one built into the LED?

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
That's basically perfect. Not only no shadows, but also no bright center.

I'm sure LEDs will be the way to go, as soon as someone creates the right diffuser.

The bright center is something only cameras pick up. The human eye can't really see it. Besides, the best way to totally eliminate is to have the 'hot spot' up above the table, which is what they do when they're broadcasting snooker (and sometimes pool now), by using two banks of light that are angled towards each other so the table is lit by the spill and the focus of the beams is about six feet above it.

snook-with-crowd.jpg

Those lights are hot as hell, though. Eventually I'm sure they'll go to LED as well because of that very reason.

As for diffusing with LED panels the diffuser is basically built in to the light. To add something to it in an effort to create more spread is to basically just have something absorbing the light output from your source. I don't like to knock Diamond lights because they're a fine product, but their mirrored grids they use for diffusing light also absorb about 40% of the light output from the bulbs. That's a lot of light loss for such a small surface area.

The bottom line is that you're going to start seeing LED panels over more and more tables all across the pool spectrum. They're cheaper than traditional lighting, both in initial outlay and in terms of power usage, and they give great light for years and years and years without needing replacement. People also love the look of them over the table. I've sold dozens to home buyers all across the US and Canada, and I've also supplied lights for pool rooms both in North America and even in Japan, and so far haven't heard a single negative response from anyone, which is saying something when you consider the nature of pool players.

As for my own UltraLights vs some of the other products out there, obviously people like to bargain hunt and that's fine, but all I can say on that is that I took the time and effort to find the perfect wattage and color combination that would work great for pool after 20+ years of playing the game at a pretty high level, and I think the results are great -- and easily worth the extra few bucks. I also stand behind the product and in addition I'm trying to put some of my profit (which isn't much, I can assure you) back into the game to promote tournaments and so forth. That's something the folks at ebay aren't doing, that's for sure. I wish they were :)

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"That light is blue"

So WPA rules mentions having at least 500 lux at all positions of the table. From your led light lux test you captured roughly 200 or so lux. Seems like you are well under half the WPA requirements.

Any thoughts here?

At about 5 feet away from my 2 x 4 led panel I am getting a lux reading of 1,000. at 4.5 feet off center at the same distance (from the light) I am getting a 500 lux reading.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So WPA rules mentions having at least 500 lux at all positions of the table. From your led light lux test you captured roughly 200 or so lux. Seems like you are well under half the WPA requirements.

Any thoughts here?

At about 5 feet away from my 2 x 4 led panel I am getting a lux reading of 1,000. at 4.5 feet off center at the same distance (from the light) I am getting a 500 lux reading.

First comment is all the specs on the WPA site IMO are not to be trusted. There are a ton of typos on the table spec for example.

Second comment is most tournaments IMO don't follow any specs. They hang lights wherever they can. Some don't even have table lights.

Third comment is from my limited testing that you can see in the video, I got a very wide range of lux readings. So, either they are that variable, or the instrument is not that good, or the user (me in this case) is not that good at using the instrument.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I took down the LED light a few weeks ago, and put my brunswick home style light (not the GC light) back up. I'm happy:)

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I'm not saying that wpa are be all end all rules but wondering if the brightness was enough compared to the old light u had

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I'm not saying that wpa are be all end all rules but wondering if the brightness was enough compared to the old light u had

I thought the brightness was actually more than my old fluorescent light, even though the lux numbers didn't fully support that. No problem whatsoever seeing the balls. A single 2x4 fixture is enough. My main complaint was the glare from the fixture itself was horrible.

Post #36 I have a video. Its a bit long, but it covers a lot. I don't know if you saw it or not.

Madrakr

You did what??
Silver Member
I just got 2 of these, when I get the Christmas decorations off the table I'm gonna start encasing them above our 9ft GC III.

2' X 4' 50W LED PANEL LIGHT - 5000K - (DLC+UL)
Green Light Depot

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
devil's in the details

I'd be careful on some of the details of these LEDs that have been suggested.
A color temperature of 6000K is extremely cool... blueish in color.
In my opinion, not a pleasing light. I'd suggest something much warmer... about 2800K.
A 6000K light source with tournament blue cloth might hurt your eyes. ;-].
Well... you'll look cool wearing your Ray Bans while playing.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Led

I'd be careful on some of the details of these LEDs that have been suggested.
A color temperature of 6000K is extremely cool... blueish in color.
In my opinion, not a pleasing light. I'd suggest something much warmer... about 2800K.
A 6000K light source with tournament blue cloth might hurt your eyes. ;-].
Well... you'll look cool wearing your Ray Bans while playing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I picked up two 2x4 6000 k led panels from a vendor on eBay for 99 dollars each. The replaced my full size diamond light. I love these lights better than my diamond fixture which I thought was the best light I ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Leds

I picked up two 2x4 6000 k led panels from a vendor on eBay for 99 dollars each. The replaced my full size diamond light. I love these lights better than my diamond fixture which I thought was the best light I ever had.

Not a loaded question,I have been studying lighting for photography for a couple of years.
Why is the LED lighting a improvement over your full sized diamond light ?
Do you have a issue with color spectrum ?
Can you even see a color spectrum ?
Is the LED lighting softened.
Can you post a photo ?
Is there anykind of glare issue .

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Ok. Why is the simplest in my new house I don't have the headroom to hang the diamond light.

I have no issues with the color spectrum. I believe it is a little different than the floresescents I had in the diamond light which were not expensive natural daylight bulbs. I don't have a problem with glare. I think there is a photo of the lighted table in the home room thread. I posted some last week if not I will take some later.

bstroud

Deceased
this is just a comparison of a

2x4 led panel light @70watt
or
4x 8ft fluorescent bulbs(or 8 4ft bulbs)

In pics, it doesn't look like the 2x4 LED provides enough coverage for a 9ft table, but i've seen a quite a few testimonials stating it is enough lighting.

There are now LEDs to replace fluorescent bulbs that work very well.

Bill S.

nme007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LED comparison

I had a Diamond light above my 7' table, switched over to an LED from Brian here on AZ about 2 years ago now and it is phenomenal. I get a ton of compliments on how well it lights up the table and I don't have to worry about ballasts going out. Just my experience with both....