Turning Stone Players List as of 12/26

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I wonder why SVB is not going? Is there another tournament somewhere? He doesn't forget to enter tournaments. Johnnyt

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a big 2,000 entry one pocket tournament at Lacy's in Louisiana that same weekend. Maybe they plan on attending that event instead.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone has had a free stream for quite some time. I believe it has been Accu-Stats that has provided this.

I may be wrong,

KMRUNOUT

Accu-Stats was not involved in the streaming of the last 3 Turning Stone events. It was provided by AZBtv.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
More importantly, lets see the alternate list.
It would be nice to see who is next in line. :yeah:

HoosierAlan

Registered
This should not be a Mosconi Cup points event. The event was full before it was announced that is would be a points event. It is not fair to guys that want to play on the Mosconi that they can't even compete in the event. Trust me Sky and Justin want to play, but they are on the waiting list. If this event is going to be a points tournament they should open up the field or at least save a spot for the top 30 American players.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
This should not be a Mosconi Cup points event. The event was full before it was announced that is would be a points event. It is not fair to guys that want to play on the Mosconi that they can't even compete in the event. Trust me Sky and Justin want to play, but they are on the waiting list. If this event is going to be a points tournament they should open up the field or at least save a spot for the top 30 American players.

Turning Stone is one of the few major pro level events in the USA. People picked to play in the Mosconi Cup should be dedicated pro pool players who play in pro events. Part of the problem the USA keeps having in the Mosconi Cup is that most players out there play only part time "pro" pool and cherry pick Mosconi Cup ranking events and then skip most of the others.

It is a large part of the reason team USA a remains weak relative to the Euros, who tend to travel more and play all the world class pro events. American pool players need to worry less about Mosconi Cup ranking points and instead worry about winning World Championships and top tier events, and Turning Stone is one of them with or without MC points. They should have been signed up months ago with the rest of the field.

HoosierAlan

Registered
Their has been a 2k one pocket event scheduled the same exact time for months. Those guys have to first worry about making a living. Playing in the one pocket event made a lot more sense. It paid more and was a drivable distance.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Hmmm

Big Truck is streaming this PPV and they don't know the 8 players yet? I doubt that four of the eight are Van Boening, Deuel, Bergman and Woodward or Big Truck would have announced it by now.

I figure Shane is happy Ice Fishing for Perch and needs a break from pool, Corey is playing golf and Justin and Skylar got lazy and didn't send in their entry fee or they are relying on Mark picking them for wildcards again.

Wedge

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone is one of the few major pro level events in the USA. People picked to play in the Mosconi Cup should be dedicated pro pool players who play in pro events. Part of the problem the USA keeps having in the Mosconi Cup is that most players out there play only part time "pro" pool and cherry pick Mosconi Cup ranking events and then skip most of the others.

It is a large part of the reason team USA a remains weak relative to the Euros, who tend to travel more and play all the world class pro events. American pool players need to worry less about Mosconi Cup ranking points and instead worry about winning World Championships and top tier events, and Turning Stone is one of them with or without MC points. They should have been signed up months ago with the rest of the field.

You make it sound like some kind of long-term problem, but last year was the first and only time we've had Mosconi points events. And last year all the major events - plus several non-major events - were Mosconi events. It's hard to argue anyone was skipping majors and cherry-picking Mosconi events. The problem is a lack of major events, not players skipping them.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zuglan runs a regional event. He doesn't care one way or the other if it's a Mosconi points event. He didn't cave to the pro union that wanted it a seeded event either. Mike is a straight shooter. If you pay your entry...you are in. The pros all know you gotta pay months in advance to get in. Just 200 bucks.

He treats all players the same. He's forfeited top players for being 16 minutes late...

He's the right man for the job. Runs one of the most sucessful tours in the country. Been doing it for 15 years.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This was announced as a Mosconi cup event at the beginning of last year. There were two turning stones last year, and Dechaine coming on second last summer gave him crucial points to making the team. Corey Duel and the two Justin's all played in the summer turning stone and were in the know about the Mosconi points for this event.

IMO top American players should forgo all one pocket. For every one pocket match they play while tourney or gambling, there is a Euro/Asian player playing rotation and getting better.

And most certainly, the major rotation tournaments in the states should take precedent. But like another poster said, they have to pay the bills, so it's easy for me to say from my living room.

This is still going to be a great tournament and I'm excited to see the Ko brothers play in person.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zuglan runs a regional event. He doesn't care one way or the other if it's a Mosconi points event. He didn't cave to the pro union that wanted it a seeded event either. Mike is a straight shooter. If you pay your entry...you are in. The pros all know you gotta pay months in advance to get in. Just 200 bucks.

He treats all players the same. He's forfeited top players for being 16 minutes late...

He's the right man for the job. Runs one of the most sucessful tours in the country. Been doing it for 15 years.

Absolutely correct.
Well said.
:thumbup2:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone has had a free stream for quite some time. I believe it has been Accu-Stats that has provided this.

I may be wrong,

KMRUNOUT

WHAT IF?
THE FIVE PLAYERS LIKED PLAYING TOGETHER AS A TEAM.

What is to stop them carving out a plan where they have a rota of the major events and only one or two enter each one. This minimises the possibility of knocking each other out and allows them to go deeper in the event.

By studying the calendar they should know who needs to play in certain events and as the season progresses.

Who knows, maybe one who is 12th might find that someone with a top 5 ranking takes his foot off the gas. All five could end up in the coveted top five slots.
The ones with a bit of distance betwen them and the chasing pack could use the time to iron out the inconsistency in their play. With a priceless asset in their camp they could get Mark Wilson to do some intensive remedial work.
The US players need to raise the bar because they all (bar none) could improve massively.they are like a car that is only running on three cylinders.