Chohan V Orcollo October 5 –8

I am pretty excited to see who steps up for a dose of Dennis next.

Win or lose, he has set a very high bar, not for quality of play and the amount of sand in the box.

Won’t matter who challenges him or who he challenges. His play is slow and boring. Let’s be honest. The only reason people watch this is because of Tony. Otherwise it’s just another match.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Won’t matter who challenges him or who he challenges. His play is slow and boring. Let’s be honest. The only reason people watch this is because of Tony. Otherwise it’s just another match.

Tony should make Dennis play with a 60-second shot clock, 3 extensions per rack.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is playing for the money, not to please the spectators, If anybody gets in the box with him they can expect to see him play at his pace. They have the choice to play or not. DO does what he thinks is necessary to win. That's the way he plays all games and I admire him for that.

I had a game of one hole about fifty years ago. I was giving up 11/4 for two hundred a game. One time during my turn I was taking a bit longer than usual to decide my options when my opponent said "you're taking too long". I looked at him and said Let me see you give up 11/4 and see how fast you shoot. Never brought it up again.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know people could be that stupid. For some reason pool has the most uninformed fans or rail birds. The dumb statements I see on here which is supposed to be a pool website and would think be more knowledgeable about pool is just so wrong and stupid I should t even reply because people are going to believe what they think anyway but nobody would ever say that Anna Kournikova plays better tennis than Serena Williams or some guy that beat Tiger Woods 9 holes of golf is way better than him. I would be so embarrassed to comment on something that I know nothing about and act like I don't even read or want to hear another side. But I guess this happens in other games and sports also but not even close to as much in pool.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member

Really? Only because of Tony? I guess Dennis has no fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know people could be that stupid. For some reason pool has the most uninformed fans or rail birds. The dumb statements I see on here which is supposed to be a pool website and would think be more knowledgeable about pool is just so wrong and stupid I should t even reply because people are going to believe what they think anyway but nobody would ever say that Anna Kournikova plays better tennis than Serena Williams or some guy that beat Tiger Woods 9 holes of golf is way better than him. I would be so embarrassed to comment on something that I know nothing about and act like I don't even read or want to hear another side. But I guess this happens in other games and sports also but not even close to as much in pool.

You are rite Justin but you can't denie that Dennis didn't slow down on purpose cause everyone no that old trick.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest difference between match one and match two as far as Dennis was concerned was the tighter table (4.25" pockets) used in the second match. He prefers it tough. He said the first table was too loose for him. He felt that gave Tony an advantage.

I will agree that Dennis may still be a 9-8 underdog (half a ball) against Shane or Alex at One Pocket. It doesn't sound like much but it is, especially in a long match. Given 9-8 then it would be a good match. I seriously doubt he wants to play either guy even, but I could be wrong. If he has a backer of course he will get up there. One thing about Dennis, he will give it his best shot to win no matter what the game is.

You would think that after his two losses to Shane in the U.S. Open finals he wouldn't want to gamble with him. You would be wrong. Dennis will play Shane some Ten Ball in a heartbeat and Shane knows that. When it comes to money games Dennis may be the King and that includes Alex. Alex is in no hurry to tangle with Dennis, you can believe that. I think they both have a grudging respect for each other, but I know who has the bigger cajones. ;)

There are other very good One Pocket players right here and one or more of them might get the backing they need to challenge Dennis. I suspect the next big match we see will feature one of them, someone like Justin Hall or Danny Smith. Dennis loves playing the BIG match, the bigger the better. You might see him giving weight to one of the high rollers in pool just to make a game. He knows the real money is in One Pocket so he's ready to make a game if asked.

I think at this point the only logical contender to Dennis is Alex. Possibly Shane but in my opinion Alex has a much better style to beat Dennis(strictly speaking one pocket) also Alex has a tendency to play the exact same slow pace as Dennis so I doubt he will ever get sharked by Dennis slow play.

So seriously I think it's been a long time coming that these two greats match up and Dennis did his job defeating all comers. I think we all can agree if both players bring close to their A game we will be in for an epic treat of a match. And if ever a match would generate some gambling between the rails and action thread community I think this match would be it!!!! This HAS to happen!!!! Team Alex get ur ducks In a row n get this goin.!!!!!

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's nothing worse than other peoples opinions.

You are rite Justin but you can't denie that Dennis didn't slow down on purpose cause everyone no that old trick.

He has fans but not strong enough fans to watch him play 4 days of boring pool. We have all watched players pocket balls. Enough said.

Last edited:
Dennis is playing for the money, not to please the spectators, If anybody gets in the box with him they can expect to see him play at his pace. They have the choice to play or not. DO does what he thinks is necessary to win. That's the way he plays all games and I admire him for that.

I had a game of one hole about fifty years ago. I was giving up 11/4 for two hundred a game. One time during my turn I was taking a bit longer than usual to decide my options when my opponent said "you're taking too long". I looked at him and said Let me see you give up 11/4 and see how fast you shoot. Never brought it up again.

I think you just stated why pool has dramatically fallen in popularity for the main stream. He better be playing for the crowds. Otherwise why are we all paying to see this? I can watch grass grow in my yard. FOR FREE!

If it’s just a match between them then they should find a quite room for just the 2 of them and put up there own cash.

Some of us have to make decisions as to wether we watch “The Big Lebowski” on HBO or pay money to watch a match. Which I would like to add the players see none of. Including the future sales of the DVD’s. This is a sin in itself. Players should see royalties just like any other broadcast.

Never the less, people want to see great shots made by great competitive players and they are willing to pay for it.

So for the love of the sport and for the anticipation of such, they best be playing for the crowds.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I think you just stated why pool has dramatically fallen in popularity for the main stream. He better be playing for the crowds. Otherwise why are we all paying to see this? I can watch grass grow in my yard. FOR FREE!

If it’s just a match between them then they should find a quite room for just the 2 of them and put up there own cash.

Some of us have to make decisions as to wether we watch “The Big Lebowski” on HBO or pay money to watch a match. Which I would like to add the players see none of. Including the future sales of the DVD’s. This is a sin in itself. Players should see royalties just like any other broadcast.

Never the less, people want to see great shots made by great competitive players and they are willing to pay for it.

So for the love of the sport and for the anticipation of such, they best be playing for the crowds.

They weren't playing for the crowds, and there were plenty of people watching anyway. How can you explain that einstein

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First match, I think the views were over 3000. More than the finals of 9b and 10b tournaments.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You obviously don't understand 1p. Nothing you can say can prove otherwise.

Damn near EVERY SHOT Dennis an Tony took was a 'great shot'. That is why they are the best.

There are over 2865 places in the US where grass grows and there aren't 10 people in the world than can play 1p as well as these two.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You realize they were playing one pocket right?
If you want to watch a fast game, watch 9ball.
Besides that, there was a ton of cash on the line and Dennis wasn't going to shoot until he knew it was the right shot.
If you ever play for that kind of cash, I'll expect you to just wing it and shoot in 5 seconds. LOL .... NOT!!!
This wasn't on HBO or SHOWTIME, it was on a livestream and these guys are real players, not actors. They are not playing for the crowds, they are playing for cash.
Oh bother......I doubt you even get it.....

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You obviously don't understand 1p. Nothing you can say can prove otherwise.

Damn near EVERY SHOT Dennis an Tony took was a 'great shot'. That is why they are the best.

There are over 2865 places in the US where grass grows and there aren't 10 people in the world than can play 1p as well as these two.

I'm not sure there's even 5!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards
Forums

The players were paid $5000 up front for the rights to stream this match and another $10,000 from the room owners to play at their venue.