Which Aiming System

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have finally decided I want to learn an aiming system.

So I have a few questions.

Which aiming system should I learn?

Which aiming system is the most popular?

Can someone list the most popular aiming systems and give me a brief description of each one and the benefits of going with one aiming system instead the other.

Also which aiming system is the easiest to learn without ruining your current game.

Simply draw a line from the pocket you are shooting at, through the object ball.

Then draw another line from the pocket directly opposite the one you're shooting at, through the cueball.

Now find the halfway point between these two lines. Take that point, and and draw a line through that point and the pocket you're shooting at.

Now draw a parallel line through the center of the cueball, and this is your aiming line.

Simple as that.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ron Vitello teaches a system I find very easy to use. You are using one spot on the cue ball and aiming at one spot on the object ball. You then swivel. Very easy to use.
From what I have read there are other systems that some people also like.
If you learn and are comfortable and successful with any system then use that system.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Can someone list the most popular aiming systems and give me a brief description of each one and the benefits of going with one aiming system instead the other.

Also which aiming system is the easiest to learn without ruining your current game.

Great question.

Now let's see if I can answer some of it.

The reason that there are so many aiming systems is because there are different types of people all with different learning abilities. What's good for the goose may not be good for the gander.

The first question that has to be answered is this:

Are you a Visual or Conceptive person?
Would you like to aim with your cue ball or cue stick?
Do you understand Math well?
What is your current system?

I can teach 28 different systems. I know several aiming systems extremely well. I use two of those several systems myself.

When learning something new, other parts of your game will suffer for the learning curve.

Remember this: An aiming system is something that you learn, implement and forget.

randyg

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Ron Vitello teaches a system I find very easy to use. You are using one spot on the cue ball and aiming at one spot on the object ball. You then swivel. Very easy to use.
From what I have read there are other systems that some people also like.
If you learn and are comfortable and successful with any system then use that system.

Hi Joel.

90/90 is great. I use that system myself.
randyg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great question.

Now let's see if I can answer some of it.

The reason that there are so many aiming systems is because there are different types of people all with different learning abilities. What's good for the goose may not be good for the gander.

The first question that has to be answered is this:

Are you a Visual or Conceptive person?
Would you like to aim with your cue ball or cue stick?
Do you understand Math well?
What is your current system?

I can teach 28 different systems. I know several aiming systems extremely well. I use two of those several systems myself.

When learning something new, other parts of your game will suffer for the learning curve.

Remember this: An aiming system is something that you learn, implement and forget.

randyg

and forget??
could you explain this alittle more please??

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Sure. Your aiming system has to become a "sub-conscious motor function". That's just a nice long way of saying "habit"

You aim from your habits, not thinking about it.

randyg

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Visual

I would say I am a visual learner. Also I'm think aiming off of the cue stick now.

I did watch a short video on the half ball hit using the center of the cue ball to the edge of the object ball and found this very easy to use.

I know there are a million threads on aiming but that is the problem. I have only read parts of each and I'm looking for direction on which aiming method to concentrate on.

I would say I am a visual learner. Also I'm think aiming off of the cue stick now.

I did watch a short video on the half ball hit using the center of the cue ball to the edge of the object ball and found this very easy to use.

I know there are a million threads on aiming but that is the problem. I have only read parts of each and I'm looking for direction on which aiming method to concentrate on.

So you're saying you need an aiming system that helps you locate a good aiming system.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will need to learn several depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Go to dr dave's site and grab some popcorn. Lots to learn there.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

In that case look at Fractional aiming. This is a great system and easy to see & understand.

Good luck
randyg

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that case look at Fractional aiming. This is a great system and easy to see & understand.

Good luck
randyg

Is fractional aiming the same as SAM as stated below?
Full ball hit = SAM1.
3/4 ball hit = SAM2.
1/2 ball hit = SAM3.
1/4 ball hit = SAM4.
thin hit = SAM5.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Is fractional aiming the same as SAM as stated below?
Full ball hit = SAM1.
3/4 ball hit = SAM2.
1/2 ball hit = SAM3.
1/4 ball hit = SAM4.
thin hit = SAM5.

If you change the word you use "hit" to "aim"......YES.
Randyg

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try them all and see for yourself what works. Heck, takes what works from each and built your own aiming arsenal. I agreed...once you starting using these systems..the goal is that it will become natural and you don't even think about aiming anymore...since repetition, reference and defined process (my R.R.P system) will take over...so that all you need to do is understand the shot and just shoot! I guess that another system to add to your list.:).

I will say with all the systems that I've tried, the main goal is to provide you with a reference point that help cut the learning curve on how to aim through repetition and processes (approach, stroke, etc) on the infinite shots you will be playing. Most of them seem to work in one way or another...so it just preferences bases on your skill level and understanding.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start by giving me a call....it's FREE.....

Hi there,

I've been helping players on AZ for about 3 years now. About 1year ago I started doing Free Perfect Aim phone lessons for forum member.

Just read some of the responses from the players. The success rate with Perfect Aim geatly improving your game is about 99.9%. Even with the lesson over the phone.

Just give me a call. You too will find out that what I teach is the real deal. It will help you immediately. And you don't have to make any huge changes to your game except making more shots.

Call me. I guarantee you will be one more glowing player testimonial for Perfect Aim.

Give me a call. 715-563-8712 Talk to you soon. Geno...........

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can you percieve where the contact point is on the OB that sends it to the pocket/target?

If you can, Google double distance, 90/90 aiming or...look here:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/aiming.html

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

DAM.

If by "most popular," you mean "used by the most top players," the answer is: DAM.

Most of the commonly known aiming systems are listed, described, demonstrated, and evaluated here:

DAM.

Regards,
Dave