One thing that made you a better position player

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
What was the one thing that actually made you a better position player?
I have one that I'll share later in this thread. Twice I found something to
change my way of thinking. For one it was the distance control for the
speed of the shot angle. The required angle when drawing or with follow
and working off the 90* tangent line to move the cue ball into position
was an enlightenment.

I knew the CB would move sideways, but it wasn't until 1978 that I knew
that it actually followed a right angle path. I read that fact in a pool book
written by Robert Byrne. I was a fair position player at the time..... but a
cue ball angle that always went 90 degrees with a dead ball hit... Wow.

The other something I found on my own. My position play improved to a
point that I was running out on much better players. After watching those
players I knew they played the same. That discovery I made about 1980.

Not to just say it's the same answer that someone else gave.. I left a clue.
I'll get back after I read a few more revealing pointers from other players.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one that I'll share later in this thread. Twice I found something to
change my way of thinking. For one it was the distance control for the
speed of the shot angle. The required angle when drawing or with follow
and working off the 90* tangent line to move the cue ball into position
was an enlightenment.

I knew the CB would move sideways, but it wasn't until 1978 that I knew
that it actually followed a right angle path. I read that fact in a pool book
written by Robert Byrne. I was a fair position player at the time..... but a
cue ball angle that always went 90 degrees with a dead ball hit... Wow.

The other something I found on my own. My position play improved to a
point that I was running out on much better players. After watching those
players I knew they played the same. That discovery I made about 1980.

Not to just say it's the same answer that someone else gave.. I left a clue.
I'll get back after I read a few more revealing pointers from other players.

The rails are your friends. Try to play position on each ball so you can come off a rail or rails to play shape on the next ball.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from practice, the idea of position zones and sub-zones was important to me.

Initially, it's just about finding the zone where you can make the next ball from and thinking about approaching that zone from an angle that gives you more room for error.

As my precision with the CB got better, I started thinking breaking the zones up into sections: okay, better, and best. The "okay zone" would leave me with a makeable shot, but it might be a tougher shot or the route to the following ball might be tough. In the "better" zone, either the shot would be easy or the position on the next ball would be easy, or some of both. In the "best" zone, I would have an easy shot and be at about the right angle to play natural or easy shape on the following ball. Being able to identify the sub-zones and choose angles that favor the "better" or "best" zones is key to simplifying the game.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... knowledge of and the ability to apply the 90 degree rule, the 30 degree rule, the trisect system, and the 45 degree rule.

All of the position-control and run-out drills in the BU playing-ability exams also helped.

But above all, PRACTICE (especially 15-ball-ghost-rotation drill practice)!!!

Sorry, I know you asked for "one thing," but it takes more than one thing to get better at position play.

Regards,
Dave

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning to "float" balls into position instead of "spinning" balls into position.

Playing the table angles correctly and using the table as a guide instead of trying to show off my "English" skills.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started playing, I don't think I ever used the side rails properly in 2-3 rail position. Once I started to visualize the best path to the next ball and how to hit that using 2 or more rails, that helped me a ton.

Some things that I think about that I know now vs what I knew years ago, it's like only painting with 2 colors then someone bought you that 64 box of Crayons with 6 shades of brown alone. You realize that you were living in a tiny box that all of a sudden went away and you are in a giant field with the ability to head to anywhere your will wishes.

carolina_8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be willing to sacrifice distance for angle. I will take a longer shot with the correct angle over a closer shot with a more difficult angle to the next ball. Position don't have to be perfect, just to leave yourself the correct path to the next ball to where all you need to think about is making the object ball you're shooting.

Hajidub

Registered
The reduced use (or reliability) of side-spin english. I learned to shoot with SS on every shot practically. As I've improved I've realized it was more of a crutch for my bad form and inexperience and I have moved away from using whenever possible.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I just recently realized that I was playing position to a spot and not giving enough consideration to the angle that I approached that spot from, subsequently I am not relying on speed control as much as rail angle now and I think I'm improving because of it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Looking back I would say that thinking 3 balls ahead gave me my biggest jump in game. Johnnyt

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Biggest thing for me, other than practice, is not trying to be perfect. Other thing is really looking at the table, and understanding in my head how I want to play the rack before I shoot the first shot.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
90-30 degree rules were the first big eye opener for me a "while" back.
Also, down the line position routes.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mastering stop shots at long range. improved positional play by leaps and bounds. Could then use tangent angles to position my cb.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning 3 cushion billiards. I can easily see paths the cue ball can take coming off rails and how to avoid hitting other balls. Natural running English can help you navigate the table from one end to the other with confidence. It makes you try to stay on the right side of the next ball.

Kracken

Belly Hooked
I would have to say my biggest leap forward was taking up 14.1, the concentration needed and minimizing my cue ball movement really helped with all games.