Have you ever known a player with almost zero natural talent to get good?

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a girl I thought was totally hopeless and slowly grew into a pretty good player.Her progress was really slow but she had the fire in her and stuck with it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ya and then u have guys like a couple taking lessons at one of the places I play , who have been hitting the same shots for a couple yrs and still struggle to make them consistently,, got to hand it to them I'd have sawed my arm off by now

LMAO. (About sawing off your arm, I'd be there with you!)

Sounds like they need a new instructor or a good book to boost them along.;)

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I am curious if you have known many players that you thought had close to zero natural ability, but they really loved the game so much, that they worked very hard on their game for hours every day, and eventually became a pretty good player (at least B level for example)?

what's b level

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
SVB. I'm pretty sure if I had started at age 2, spent 2 hrs a day for 20 yrs building my stroke, devoted my entire life to it after age 2, I would kick his ass ;).
Alot of champions are only champions, because of an extraordinary work ethic, not because they possess super natural talent.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a player who used to practice almost obsessively every day for hours like a monk in a monastery. He got to what I would call high "B" status or low "A" in my estimation. I had a friend I met playing pool who had what I consider natural talent. He was one of those guys who was good with hand/eye coordination at different sports. He hardly ever practiced, (at least from what I saw) but just showed up to play most times, getting into stroke as he went along.
One day, I was practicing alongside the "monastery monk" at another table, and my friend walked in. After chatting with me a while, he got into a small cash game with the "monk". They started out shooting pretty evenly well, but after a while, my friend just ran away with the match, while the monk's game seemed to deteriorate. I was amazed with my friend's ability to shoot the guy down, especially since the table they played on had very tight pockets. I will always believe that natural talent can trump however many hours of practice a less-talented opponent does. That might lead back to the old debate about talent v.s. practice, but I digress. I believe the best player in any sport is the one with natural talent who works and practices religiously.

I disagree. I think the monk's ceiling is higher especially if he continues to apply himself. I think it's unfair to compare someone who is very used to what they do and it requires no conscious effort on their part, versus someone who is constantly incorporating new things into their game, or mentally trying to keep things in check before they become fully ingrained..

The monk could be working on any number of things or trying to hold together a bunch of different moving parts.

I think being able to relax, free-wheel and get into a rhythm is a pretty powerful luxury that your friend has, and the monk probably might not allow himself to have. It doesn't mean he's worse, his game is probably just in flux.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I definitely disagree with your first statement. And your personal example is an exception to the rule. I don't have any "major physical handicaps" with my left hand/arm but I can't play a lick left-handed. And I know that I will never reach B level with my left-hand no matter how much practice I put into it.

Not everyone can reach B level status. Some people are simply uncoordinated.

No, I was saying that if my left hand can play at B speed, anybody else's dominant hand should be at least equal if not better, so coordination is not a problem. My left handed hand writing looks like a 2 year old on crack, but I can still manage to make balls on half a table with it, so coordination is not a big factor at least to that point.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
There was a guy who was so uncoordinated at pool, I used to spot him all the balls in 9 ball and still won. I thought he was hopeless.

Didn't see the guy for 20 years, then we played and he gave me a good match. It can be done!

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious if you have known many players that you thought had close to zero natural ability, but they really loved the game so much, that they worked very hard on their game for hours every day, and eventually became a pretty good player (at least B level for example)?

I don't know if this qualifies as 'good' but 4 or so months ago I could scarcely run two balls unless I just had some super easy shots. Now I'm playing and holding my own against people who end up in Vegas with their league every year and winning my local bar tournament pretty often. I'm getting an 'ok' feel for English, etc.

I'm still terrible on a 9ft table and have 'hit or miss' nights, though. My goal for the next year or so is to perfect the use of English and acclimate myself with regulation tables to really make an impact on my game. Also I would like to get a feel for the speed of the different cloths, etc. so I can predict more accurately the ball path and where my shots will be left instead of using English with a general idea of where the cue 'should' end up.

But yea, I'm still below probably what you were asking. However, someone who sucks absolutely can make leaps and bounds towards improving if they dedicate their time and energy to something they love.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Many B players I know got there through hard work but can't get past that, usually due to not having enough time to play 4 hours every day, but some because they were not taught properly from the beginning and have flaws with how they shoot.

This. Time is what holds up back.

I heard 2 things that kinda stuck with me about practice time and improvement.

1. An hour a day will not help you improve your game. I believe Ralph Eckert told a student that, or something very similar.

2. Every other day just to maintain. You need to shoot every other day just to stay at your current level. I think it was Jay who said this.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm having trouble getting my head around "Zero natural talent"
Only a corpse has zero natural talent...a living human being is a marvel.

I have witnessed players have epiphanies...and jump a few levels in very little time.
Getting past false modesty and big egos sometimes opens the doorway.

Buddy Hall was just another good player, he had a dream about his bridge.

Most corpses have more talent than me, but with hard work, I managed to get to a decent level.

Last edited:

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I partially agree.
1) best players will always be the ones with natural talent and a fierce work ethic, (think michael jordon kobe bryant)

2) the second best players will be the ones with the best work ethic, but limited natural talent (think larry bird)

3) the lessor players will be the ones with natural talent, but no work ethic (too many examples to mention)

definitely agree with this

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really think the difference is this...

1) Super talented wunderkind - practices 1 hour a day for 6 months and takes 3 lessons on fundamentals and cue ball position and can run a rack

2) Shlub no-talent uncoordinated bum (me) - practices for 12 hours a day for 12 months and takes 26 lessons on fundamentals and cue ball position and can run a rack

Talent makes it a shorter path imho, but anyone can get there with enough hard work. Top pro players I'm sure had the talent, drive, and ALSO put in ridiculous amounts of hard work to get there.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether or not someone has natural talent is simply your perception.

If the question is whether with hard work a person can significantly improve the answer is yes.

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talent

Two notable quotes come to mind:
1. Bud Collins, tennis commentator extraordinaire once said, "At one point in his life even John McEnroe stunk at tennis." I personally don't believe in talent per se in any somewhat unnatural physical endeavor which brings me to my second quote:
2. John M. (an old friend): Practice does not make perfect. CORRECT practice and competition does.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many B players I know got there through hard work but can't get past that, usually due to not having enough time to play 4 hours every day, but some because they were not taught properly from the beginning and have flaws with how they shoot.

I think B players stay B players largely because they do not change the level of competition they play against. I don't think you can ever really become an A player without playing other A players and learning from those matches. Practice is important, drills help, but there is nothing like the increases you get from being under the extreme pressure of making a shot when you know if you miss you lose. Also, when playing an A player if you play along mentally you can learn patterns and shots that you would never see in a drill or practice.

I think almost anyone could become a high B low A level player.

I was a C player and then started playing a Top 20 pro every single day for $2 a game. I would lose $20 every day. After a few months, the pro told me that we needed to play for $5 a game and I realized it was because I had started to compete a little with him. Shortly after that I won the B tournament several times, got banned, won the A tournament a few times and could have become much better, but life situations changed and I stopped playing for 20 years.

Since I have returned, I am now a decent B player that still has an occasional night of strong play, but I don't practice and especially don't play really good players often so my game is not coming back so fast. If I immersed myself in it and played good players a lot I think I would get it back.

But to me, playing better players is critical to really becoming good. Also true of tennis, ping pong, even golf.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Whether or not someone has natural talent is simply your perception.

If the question is whether with hard work a person can significantly improve the answer is yes.

LOL. "Matter of perception"...Listen, talent exists, much like intelligence or other traits, but of course it's more a combination of traits. Naturally there are degrees of talent, it's not an either/or proposition, so in that regard you are right, it's rather arbitrary where you draw the line between haves and have nots. Some people are gifted with better eyesight and hand to eye coordination than others. The most talented guy I ever saw went from complete, raw beginner to solid A player in a year! That is talent! I didn't actually witness all of that first hand, but I saw the results of it later. You can even say I'm being strict by saying it was one year, he beat everybody in the pool hall in about 6-7 months, people that had been playing for years and were very good. I don't think I ever even heard of such progression, really. It's astounding!

He was making balls right from the get-go. Sadly his talent was wasted, he could have been a word beater but he threw it all away. He's a shadow of himself today, he never practises, but occationally shows up at tournaments, beating almost everybody. Drugs of course...Such an utter waste, with even a trace of dicipline he could have been a World Champion, IMO. While he's been doing his thing I've been practising intently improving very slowly, but there is no doubt in my mind that if he put a weeks worth of practise in, he'd beat my brains out.

Talent is real. Watch this clip of Judd Trump as a young boy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHFspfl0zSU

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How are we defining "natural talent" here? Awesome hand-eye coordination?

I remember a friend of mine in middle school. We were playing softball during PE. Most of us struggled to just hit the ball. He kept fouling the ball off until he got a pitch he liked (or the coach told him to stop fooling around).