Any Dan Louie War Story?

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Dan will mind, ANY MORE. So here you are. I cut this out of a photo with Dan, Rich Geiler, Buddy Hall, Mike Massey and Johnny Archer.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hplatis said:
Dan is outstanding individual. We just finished playing a set of one pocket10--7; Dan ran 10 an out twice. He is playing great.

Lordy, lordy, what a pleasure to see Mr. Platis posting!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your experience. There are many great posters here at AzBilliards, and you will be an asset to this forum. :)

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ballEinstein said:
I heard a story of Dan coming to Southern Cal and meeting Keith. Keith asked Dan how old he was. Dan says, "18" (even though he was actually 22). Keith then says, "Anyone my age gets the 7 ball". They play and Danny takes the win and the cash.

Don't know where I heard this. Maybe JAM can ask Keith about this.

I will when he rises and shines. :p

The only story I know about Dan Louie and Keith matching up happened in -- I think and subject to check -- Burlington.

I cannot get over how YOUNG Dan Louie looks. It is as if he doesn't age. I want some of what he's drinking. He seems to have found the Fountain of Youth! :)

JAM

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hplatis said:
Dan is outstanding individual. We just finished playing a set of one pocket10--7; Dan ran 10 an out twice. He is playing great.

get more weight!!! good to see you here

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
Dan won the collegiate championships both years he played -- 1973 and 1974. The rumor was that he had only been playing 14.1 (the game then) for a few months. In the 1973 finals, his opponent broke and Dan ran 70 going to 100. Playing in a sports coat and tie, that's not so easy.

In that 73 finals, Dan beat a good friend of mine, Jim Gray, who was playing for S. Illinois. Till today, that is Jim's one claim to fame, he almost beat Dan Louie for the collegiate title.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Thank you!

Hi Everyone!

Long time no hear, huh?

I just wanted to thank you all for the great stories about Dan Louie. You didn't realize this, but you all helped me interview him!

For the last three years I have interviewed someone in the billiards realm every month for the online magazine through AZB entitled "Billiard Buzz." Dan Louie was on my (long) list of people I wanted to interview, and when I started to look around about him, I stumbled on this thread from 2006/2007 and pretty much everything I needed to ask him about was right here!

As a matter of fact, at one point he asks me, "Hey Melinda, how did you hear about me shooting the match ball in the wrong hole in Reno? You seem to know more about my pool history than I do, lol."

I replied that I "do my research! I hit the pavement (digitally of course)."

If you want to read YOUR questions to Dan and his answers, check out the November issue:

https://issuu.com/azbilliards/docs/november_2019/10

Thanks again!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hi Everyone!

Long time no hear, huh?

I just wanted to thank you all for the great stories about Dan Louie. You didn't realize this, but you all helped me interview him!

For the last three years I have interviewed someone in the billiards realm every month for the online magazine through AZB entitled "Billiard Buzz." Dan Louie was on my (long) list of people I wanted to interview, and when I started to look around about him, I stumbled on this thread from 2006/2007 and pretty much everything I needed to ask him about was right here!

As a matter of fact, at one point he asks me, "Hey Melinda, how did you hear about me shooting the match ball in the wrong hole in Reno? You seem to know more about my pool history than I do, lol."

I replied that I "do my research! I hit the pavement (digitally of course)."

If you want to read YOUR questions to Dan and his answers, check out the November issue:

https://issuu.com/azbilliards/docs/november_2019/10

Thanks again!

Welcome back Melinda, we missed you. Hope all is well. Some of us old timers are still around. How's your credit?

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
And what's the weather like too...while we got you?

LOL the credit comment was when she was doing commentary on a pool match. The person she was with joked about liking her because she had a credit card or something. So whenever he referred to her she would add "and I have good credit". I always remembered that for some reason.

Those of you who don't know Melinda akaTrigger are missing one of super stars of AZ billiards in the old days. We had a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny came to Dayton in 1973 after he won the Collegiate Championships.

That was me he beat in the finals (1973). I broke and Dan ran 71 in a 100 point game. Final score was 100-66. Yes, this was before he became the player he turned out to be. I think Dan could have even played better had it not been for his lifelong health issues.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was me he beat in the finals (1972). I broke and Dan ran 71 in a 100 point game. Final score was 100-66. Yes, this was before he became the the player he turned out to be. I think Dan could have even played better had it not been for his lifelong health issues.

Very cool, Paul.

If someone told you then what you'd be doing now....wow.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
That was me he beat in the finals (1973). I broke and Dan ran 71 in a 100 point game. Final score was 100-66. Yes, this was before he became the the player he turned out to be. I think Dan could have even played better had it not been for his lifelong health issues.

Dang it! I could have named dropped in the interview.

Congrat's on the 2nd place!

streak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wasI think about1976 when Ronnie Allen had a tournament in Burlington,Iowa. I lived just across the river in Gulfport Ill. The bars in Gulfport were open til 5am. Dan matched up with Richie Florence in the bar ( Downers ). They were in the middle of a set at 5'oclock. Gulfport was a one policeman town and he was a friend of my father-in-law who owned the bar. The policeman said he'd let us lock the doors and continue to play for some "consideration". Dan ended up busting Richie. 8 or 9 hundred if I remember correctly. You guys are right. He was a great player. But what I've never forgotten is the fact that Dan refused to throw anything to the local cop who sat there with us until 9am . He was told ahead of time, but wouldnt do what he had agreed to do. the reason I remember is that I gave the cop 50.00 out of my own pocket. So I have a very low opinion of his character. Just my 2cents worth.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wasI think about1976 when Ronnie Allen had a tournament in Burlington,Iowa. I lived just across the river in Gulfport Ill. The bars in Gulfport were open til 5am. Dan matched up with Richie Florence in the bar ( Downers ). They were in the middle of a set at 5'oclock. Gulfport was a one policeman town and he was a friend of my father-in-law who owned the bar. The policeman said he'd let us lock the doors and continue to play for some "consideration". Dan ended up busting Richie. 8 or 9 hundred if I remember correctly. You guys are right. He was a great player. But what I've never forgotten is the fact that Dan refused to throw anything to the local cop who sat there with us until 9am . He was told ahead of time, but wouldnt do what he had agreed to do. the reason I remember is that I gave the cop 50.00 out of my own pocket. So I have a very low opinion of his character. Just my 2cents worth.

Hmm. certainly seems out of character to what everyone else is saying. Do you think there was some miscommunication there, or wires getting crossed somehow? Good on you for doing right by the cop. :thumbup2:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was me he beat in the finals (1973). I broke and Dan ran 71 in a 100 point game. Final score was 100-66. Yes, this was before he became the the player he turned out to be. I think Dan could have even played better had it not been for his lifelong health issues.

There is a pretty good article about that tournament in the June 1973 issue of National Billiard News. The next year Dan beat Ed Deska in the finals.

streak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm. certainly seems out of character to what everyone else is saying. Do you think there was some miscommunication there, or wires getting crossed somehow? Good on you for doing right by the cop. :thumbup2:

No misunderstanding, Period. Actually,the cop was a bit of a bully. I remember the word he used he said " i'm gonna slap his #$%&@ ass. I calmed him down and,as i said, gave him 50.00 myself. There was no misunderstanding.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a pretty good article about that tournament in the June 1973 issue of National Billiard News. The next year Dan beat Ed Deska in the finals.

Sounds like PA might just have some 14.1 chops?

I like Ed, real good guy. Probably a decade since I've seen him. His son, Brian, is good people too.