WWYD? This out is haunting me

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
For future reference (to Derek) - you can save the diagram by clicking the save button at bottom left,
and it pops up an option for "save PNG" or "save SVG".

Choose save png and that will bring up an image of your diagram.
You can then share the link to that image, or save the pic itself to your computer.
The link to the image should look like this:

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/3b1b1.png

And if you remove the .png at the end, that will bring people to the original diagram
where they can move the balls around and draw lines (but not on the phone, just desktop).

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/3b1b1

My first instinct is what Grindz said. I guess the 1 was makeable but I would hope not to make it.
Instead I'd try my best super soft safety like this:

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/67159.png

Locking onto the 10 as shown would be kind of a miracle, but I wouldn't worry about selling out the 10,
the problem is if they are able to see the 13 in the side. You just pray they either can't see it, or they can but they dog it.
Then you can start a proper runout with the hanging 1 ball and easy 2.
In fact, a failed shot on the 13 might get you position your biggest problem, the 4.

If you feel like the opponent can't miss and you must run out right now, I think the 3 bank is the shot,
since we know in hindsight the 1 can be thrown in. Shape on the 2 is automatic, then from the 2...
I would hope to fall straight on the 4 if it passes to the corner. Like this: https://pad.chalkysticks.com/02aad.png

Afterwards, you throw in that 1 and take what you can get on the 2.
I'm not sure how hard you can afford to hit the cue ball while twirling in that 1.
You might be stuck trying to carom the 8 off the 11 or something.

JC

Coos Cues
How did your opponent make a stripe and then miss as there are none missing?

To recreate an 8 ball layout exactly from memory is extremely difficult especially with that many balls left.

My guess is it wasn't nearly as tough as you drew it out but you drew it that way because it must have been tough since it ate you up.

Having said that I would lag the cue ball off the long rail into the 2 ball leaving them both right there together then step aside and see if your opponent has a screw up in him. His pressure was as great as yours.

JC

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For future reference (to Derek) - you can save the diagram by clicking the save button at bottom left,
and it pops up an option for "save PNG" or "save SVG".

Choose save png and that will bring up an image of your diagram.
You can then share the link to that image, or save the pic itself to your computer.
And for most posts, it is best to simply include the image in the post. You can also put in the link, but that will be useless when Chalkysticks goes away.

Here's the image:

CropperCapture[227].png

As for my choice, I like bumping the 1 softly to where it is playable.

As for banking the 3 into the open, I like that too.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't get out from there without something crazy so I would have sent the 4 down between the pocket and his ball and put the cue ball against or behind the 14. He has a real problem with the 10 ball so I wouldn't be moving that one ball until I could get out.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Cross bank the 3 ball and try to move the 10 and 1 ball apart. You will land on the 2 and you have to figure out the rest after that. Again thats just me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To run out you have to shoot the 1 now, because getting a better shot at it is unlikely. That pretty much dictates the sequence: 1-2-3-4.

pj
chgo

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what us here you can't run out.

You need a way to solve the solid in front of his 10 ball in corner.

Play safe by banking 3 towards side pocket and run cuebsll down to end rail by the 2. Just leave him long and no open shot. Leave your 3 with a shot into corner where you can shoot off the 1 to move it front under the 10. Or move 3 by the opposite side for a shot you can later move their 10 with the cueball.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have just banked the 3 cross table to free it up and put the cue ball on the end rail between the 10 and 2. Your opponent then has to break his 10 out to get out and all his balls are down table making this very difficult.

Exactly my thought. You can run cueball to the end rail under or on top of the 2 to make it tougher.

If I'm playing anyone who isn't some champion this is the correct choice. If they are a string player I make the 3 bank and the work to free the 1 with future shots. Can always duck later, just harder to do with less balls on the table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
To run out you have to shoot the 1 now, because getting a better shot at it is unlikely. That pretty much dictates the sequence: 1-2-3-4.

pj
chgo

The original pic makes me think the 1-ball doesn’t go....I’m double kissing it over the hole.

For those who think they can bank the 3-ball and break the 10 and 1-balls.....
...I’m pretty sure even Bugs wouldn’t do that...
...you’d have to over-cut the 3-ball with extreme low left english.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The original pic makes me think the 1-ball doesn’t go....I’m double kissing it over the hole.

Correct! Those balls are never getting close to being broke up on that shot.
Jason

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
What would I do?

So i recently had that big tournament with 1 rack matches for the trip to Hawaii. This rack came up to me after i broke, made 2-3 balls and scratched. My opponent missed after making a stripe with ball in hand, leaving me with solids and a difficult out.

I feel i got screwed with two rolls that i got, but i was curious how others would try to play this. It's not exact, but its as close as i could get it with the app.

How would you get out as solids?

Cross bank the 3 and use a little inside to hold up the angle from the rail to open up the 10 & 1. Then you have a choice of the 1 next (if it doesn't get kicked in by the 10) and then an angle on the 2 to come out to center table and play the 4 and then the 8 in the side.

Attachments

• What Would I do.jpg
    What Would I do.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Cross bank the 3 and use a little inside to hold up the angle from the rail to open up the 10 & 1. Then you have a choice of the 1 next (if it doesn't get kicked in by the 10) and then an angle on the 2 to come out to center table and play the 4 and then the 8 in the side.

You got that magic cue ball lol
Jason

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You got that magic cue ball lol
Jason

Perhaps he could show us the shot on YouTube.:grin-devilish:

I think you can get the breakout but it looks to me like it's going to require some kind of jump shot onto the cushion.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Only way your getting too the 10 ball is a draw bank on the 3. With inside the cue ball will hit mid rail on the foot rail. Bank shot with inside, doesn't track towards the breakout.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^This^^

How good could this opponent be if he made one ball with ball in hand on an open table?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I try that cross bank, whitey would likely be closer to hitting the 2 ball than the 10...