Who is Jack Hines?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Wigands place, KS.

Evelyn and Danny have crossed paths with em a bit in their lifetime.
Evelyn was runnin' an event in Tulsa that Jack was at. She put up with NONE of his antics. She laid the law down and he got the message. If Jack got his break going he could be tough to deal with. Didn't dog many outs.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Evelyn was runnin' an event in Tulsa that Jack was at. She put up with NONE of his antics. She laid the law down and he got the message. If Jack got his break going he could be tough to deal with. Didn't dog many outs.

Yep....he's not pettable.

Last edited:

pkh1960

Registered
At the ohio state open when earl lost his first match jack hines told him he was washed up and should stick to tennis. This was at Starchers billiards and i was working with pat fleming from accustats. was there the whole time.earl ran through the one loss side and faced jack hines in the finals. Earl not only won but destroyed him to the point the last i saw jack hines he was asleep, or out, in the lazy boy dotty starcher had by the bathrooms. one of the biggest assholes i have ever seen in pool. Joe Kerr who ran PBA back then told him one more and you are gone. Earl made him gone.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Years ago I beat him at the Super Bowl tournament at The Rack in Memphis to put him on the loser's side.

He double dipped Hennessee to win,and 20 min after he made the last ball he was led out of the building by Memphis PD because he caused a scene when one of the envelopes with the tournament/2 calcutta payouts was supposedly 20 bucks short. Tommy D.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Jerry Waters was telling me about a match,
where someone called up David Matlock....
"Hey,
can you come over to Arkansas,
there is a guy here wanting to play for BIG CASH"
David asks do you know who he is.
Jack Hines,
David said
I'll be there-
just want a couple days to practice up first.
I watched Jack play in a McChesney Tourney in Tulsa- mid 90's
He beat everyone pretty easily

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I beat him at the Super Bowl tournament at The Rack in Memphis to put him on the loser's side.

He double dipped Hennessee to win,and 20 min after he made the last ball he was led out of the building by Memphis PD because he caused a scene when one of the envelopes with the tournament/2 calcutta payouts was supposedly 20 bucks short. Tommy D.

From post #20 in this thread by Mike Janis - a classic.

Wow, what a memory. I was the director at that event. I remember arguing with Jack about the pet Iguana on his back/shoulder. He was playing with it on him during his matches. Personally I thought was more of a distraction to Jack than anyone else. Anyway, during a shot the Iguana jumped off Jacks shoulder and chased the 9-ball into the pocket. It was the wildest thing I ever saw. At that time I told Jack no more Iguana. The owner told him he also needed the Iguana out of the location for health code reasons. So Jack takes the Iguana and the 2 or 3 others his GF had with her and put them in the car. This was a Summertime event and it was pretty hot outside. Subsequently the Iguanas died in the heat of the car, Jack was almost in tears. I was sooo funny and sad at the same time I couldn't help but laugh.

Anyway, Jack wins the event. During the payouts I always pay the players their money and the auction buyers their money separate. While doing this Jack and the buyer start arguing. It appears that the guy bought Jack for about $500 in the auction and during the 2nd match (I only learned of this much later) Jack tells the guy he has to give him 1/2 of the winning from the auction or he was dumping his next 2 matches. The guy agreed and now we are at the payout table with these guys arguing. The guy doesn't mind giving Jack the 1/2 of the Auction monies but he wants Jack to combine the whole shabang Tourney +Auction monies and split it 50/50. Jack argues for a while then agrees. Now here's the beautiful part. Jack convinces the guy to give Jack all the money to do the chop. What a mistake on the other guys part. Jack distracts the other guy for a second by yelling at somebody behind the other guy, when he turns around to look at who Jack is yelling at Jack BOLTS out the door with all the cash.

Jack has never played in another Viking Tour event since then. He was the 1st player to earn a lifetime ban from my tour.

Prior to that he played in the 2 previous events and also won both of them. The win in Huntington was his 3rd in a row on the Viking tour that month.

fishpool

USSA Board
Jack Hines - Cave Country Classic

I played Jack in the finals of a big table event at Cue Times in Bowling Green KY in 1990 - the Cave Country Classic. I hadn't been playing much, but the owner invited me up from my hometown in TN. I stopped off in Nashville and practiced for 4 hours on a 9-footer to see if I could still make a ball on a big table. I had met Jack once before and had dinner with him at the Glass City Open on one occasion - where he told me some stories about himself. Yes, quite a character. In the '80s I was aware he had made the finals of the old Starcher's Open in Akron OH that drew some big names, and in back-to-back years he beat Strickland in the finals 13-12 and then lost to Strickland 12-13 in the other year. The Cave Country Classic drew some strong pro and semi-pro players, and I bought myself for $15 in the calcutta (no one had any reason to be scared of me!). Somehow I got the break down on those tables and was able to string racks consistently throughout to take the hot seat. Jack was my finalist's opponent with one-loss and our playing race-to-7 sets. Fortunately I won the lag and hit him with a 4-pack. Final score 7-3 in my favor. It's not like Jack did anything wrong, but you can't do much when your opponent is keeping you in your seat. I saw him about 15 years later at a tournament in Wichita. I came up to say "Hi," and I don't think he had any memory of me. He was pretty strung out, and I don't think he did much in the tournament. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with Jack! - John Lewis

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Waters was telling me about a match,
where someone called up David Matlock....
"Hey,
can you come over to Arkansas,
there is a guy here wanting to play for BIG CASH"
David asks do you know who he is.
Jack Hines,
David said
I'll be there-
just want a couple days to practice up first.
I watched Jack play in a McChesney Tourney in Tulsa- mid 90's
He beat everyone pretty easily

Did Dave and Jack match up?

Ken

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Jack in the finals of a big table event at Cue Times in Bowling Green KY in 1990 - the Cave Country Classic. I hadn't been playing much, but the owner invited me up from my hometown in TN. I stopped off in Nashville and practiced for 4 hours on a 9-footer to see if I could still make a ball on a big table. I had met Jack once before and had dinner with him at the Glass City Open on one occasion - where he told me some stories about himself. Yes, quite a character. In the '80s I was aware he had made the finals of the old Starcher's Open in Akron OH that drew some big names, and in back-to-back years he beat Strickland in the finals 13-12 and then lost to Strickland 12-13 in the other year. The Cave Country Classic drew some strong pro and semi-pro players, and I bought myself for $15 in the calcutta (no one had any reason to be scared of me!). Somehow I got the break down on those tables and was able to string racks consistently throughout to take the hot seat. Jack was my finalist's opponent with one-loss and our playing race-to-7 sets. Fortunately I won the lag and hit him with a 4-pack. Final score 7-3 in my favor. It's not like Jack did anything wrong, but you can't do much when your opponent is keeping you in your seat. I saw him about 15 years later at a tournament in Wichita. I came up to say "Hi," and I don't think he had any memory of me. He was pretty strung out, and I don't think he did much in the tournament. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with Jack! - John Lewis

You must be a very solid player. Hines looked like a great talent in the '80s video on YouTube against Earl

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Jack would have gotten out of the electric-chair to play Dave without a fair amount of weight. Jack couldn't fade Dave's inevitable super gear.

Dave is the best I have ever seen on a bar table. Playing on a 9 foot he wasnt as strong.

Ken

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
in honor of Smorg ...

some boyz coped it, slapped some 26's on it and walla, instant pimpmobile

( i know your still staying current on the impotent things down here )

Isn't that supposed to be viola in honor of Smorg?
Hu(to serve and spice!)

Wayne Stephens

The people closest to Scotty Townsend said that Scotty only gave about 4 players in the world the status of being "good". Jack Hines/Hynes was one of them.