Ever Break A Cue In Frustration?

Pangit

Banned
Ala Earl Strickland? Not me, I'm too "cheap" for that sort of senselessness. It's always poor form.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Ala Earl Strickland?" Not exactly. Once on the bumper of my 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Was having a bad night. :eek:

BTW, I had it repaired in 2006. Only the butt was damaged. 1969 Viking.

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it was a nice old two piece 21 ounce Dufferin made in Canada and when it struck his skull, it snapped clean in half. I saved the butt and had a local machinist make a new shaft and I still use the cue as break stick, or to play a little 3-cushion.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
No but i give discounts to repeat customers :D

we have one guy in town that has broken ever custom cue he owns.
MMike

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I have. I was shooting poorly against a weak player. I slammed the shaft on the rail, destroyed the shaft and damaged the joint. I then switched cues and proceeded to win the match.

Several years earlier, a guy did almost exactly the same thing against me after I beat him out of $100.

Ala Earl Strickland? Not me, I'm too "cheap" for that sort of senselessness. It's always poor form.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Yep. Several times. Also, tennis rackets, raquetball rackets, more than one golf club, and even a fishing pole once:embarrassed2: But not recently. Most people eventually grow up.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've killed two shafts smacking them in frustration. Not with the intent of breaking them. You can get away with it a few times, if you smack lightly against the rail. But if you make it a habit, eventually... THWACK... you hit a bit too hard and the shaft cracks. Especially these modern hollow core pie-slice shafts. I killed one on the rail and one on the floor, also popped the tip off one on the floor.

I think I'm over the habit, and won't ever do it again, but I'm only 99% sure of that.

edit: my buddy is a scratch golfer and killed a golf cart with one of his clubs. So he had to replace both the club, and the fender of the cart. Even had to install it himself. I always thought that was funny somehow.

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have, I was playing on my table when good ol wifey of mine decided to tell me its over.
I slammed my Pechauer down after missing a shot and the thing EXPLODED!! Shaft and forearm inlays all over the place. That day I got double ****ed!

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Broken dreams? Nah! a cue

In the mid sixties, when I was a young pool hustler in Dallas, my nemisis was a man named Tommy Lambert. We each beat the other many times. Once, he beat me out of thirty dollars (Impressive numbers, Yes?). I leaned my cue against the side of the table, placed my foot against it, and before the scraps hit the floor, the whole place was laughing at me. I swore to myself that I would never do that again. Some nights or plays later I missed an important game ball and my oath took a powder. Taking a more controlled approach to my madness, I picked up a house cue that was leaning against the wall and speared it by four or five tables into the back wall of the Cotton Bowling Palace game room. It was a throw worthy of the Insanity Olympics. Just about the time my javelin passed the third table and three or four ducking people, a very loud voice screamed
"That's my cue." For details about this and my other pheau paux in the world of pocket billiards, pick up a copy of my book.
Back then I just couldn't seem to...
Keep it nice. Alfie

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No but there is a really large chunk missing from a bench in the pool room at the cowgirl bbq where the guy I was playing broke his... I love that notch:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
In the mid sixties, when I was a young pool hustler in Dallas, my nemisis was a man named Tommy Lambert. We each beat the other many times. Once, he beat me out of thirty dollars (Impressive numbers, Yes?). I leaned my cue against the side of the table, placed my foot against it, and before the scraps hit the floor, the whole place was laughing at me. I swore to myself that I would never do that again. Some nights or plays later I missed an important game ball and my oath took a powder. Taking a more controlled approach to my madness, I picked up a house cue that was leaning against the wall and speared it by four or five tables into the back wall of the Cotton Bowling Palace game room. It was a throw worthy of the Insanity Olympics. Just about the time my javelin passed the third table and three or four ducking people, a very loud voice screamed
"That's my cue." For details about this and my other pheau paux in the world of pocket billiards, pick up a copy of my book.
Back then I just couldn't seem to...
Keep it nice. Alfie

Buy this book, folks! I'm about half through now, and I'm enjoying the read very much! In it Alf confesses this act...he also has a great tale of a gag he once pulled on Grady Mathews...I don't want to give it away here.

To stay on topic...never broke one on purpose. One I did break? Cue in the back floor of a car in a soft case. I shoved the front seat all the way back, heard a CRACK! :(

Last edited:

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy worked at Sears in high school, and I went to visit him. We both liked to play pool, even if we were clueless and talentless. The all-graphite $100 cues being sold at Sears were the most expensive we'd seen, and the stickers denoting the quality level of the various cues marked these as 5/5 stars... Professional.

He put 2 on clearance for $1.50 each, and after he got out of work I gave him his. We were in cue heaven...

My sister and I shared an apartment then. Her boyfriend (POS) threw a beer bottle near (not at) her when she told him and his loser friend to get lost. My not-yet-36-hours-old Professional quality cue became a dedicated break cue... it broke his back window, and then it broke right the f in half when it met the window frame. Message sent, at the cost of my cue.

I'll never be able to say how it played, but the one shot I took with it gave excellent feedback!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some of you guys posts are hiliarious. i can understand the wife thing though.

i have never broke a cue, i just blame myself when i am shooting poorly. afterall the cue is just obeying your commands.;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My buddy worked at Sears in high school, and I went to visit him. We both liked to play pool, even if we were clueless and talentless. The all-graphite $100 cues being sold at Sears were the most expensive we'd seen, and the stickers denoting the quality level of the various cues marked these as 5/5 stars... Professional.

He put 2 on clearance for $1.50 each, and after he got out of work I gave him his. We were in cue heaven...

My sister and I shared an apartment then. Her boyfriend (POS) threw a beer bottle near (not at) her when she told him and his loser friend to get lost. My not-yet-36-hours-old Professional quality cue became a dedicated break cue... it broke his back window, and then it broke right the f in half when it met the window frame. Message sent, at the cost of my cue.

I'll never be able to say how it played, but the one shot I took with it gave excellent feedback!

That is the best use of a Sears graphite cue I've ever heard of.
Good for you for sticking up for your family.

Personally, I've never 'broke' a cue....never found one that gambled.:cool:

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never have broke one but I have sure have wanted to a many a time . Then got to thinking of repair cost and let the moment go away. haha

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Way to cheap

I have blamed my cue more than once, but when I purchased my first cue that wasn't made from Ramen Wood, I think it was a mid-range Viking the price alone told me to treat this stick with care. This question could kinda go hand in hand with the "How not to get mad" post here. I've seen other people do it though, my first thought is always, "Geeze, do you know what that's gonna cost him?" Maybe I'm just to cheap to let myself get that mad, not that I haven't thought about it...