Did Mosconi use his Balabushka at the exhibitions

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi used the famous Balabushka for his exhibitions and senior tournaments, I would say, from the late 60s to the early 80s.

A little footnote is, when he and Jimmy Caras played straight pool at Horsham, Pennsylvania, Mosconi went back to his Rambow that he ran the 526 with. Other than the basement tapes, I think this was Willie's last public performance.

As for both cues, pretty sure I see them in the Glenn video.

All the best,
WW

If some on AZ are correct, that Glenn collection will eventually be worth a fraction of what they paid for it. Historically, of course, you can't remove the significance, but financially it may well be a disastrous investment.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie gave an exhib. at a local supply store around '80-'81. Had a 'bushka. Nothin fancy but a sweet cue. What was crazy is he showed up in a cab, walked in, took off his coat, put his cue together, racked 14balls with a breaker and RAN 100!! Stone cold. Just like that. There were about 10-15 people in the showroom when he did it. We all just kinda stared at each other like, "WTF?? Did i just see that?"

Grady Mathews did an exhibition in my basement in 1992 for myself and another
guy. Cost me $400. When he got there he asked what we wanted to do. We set
him a break ball and a rack and asked him to run some balls. he proceeded to
run 124. This was on a 9 foot Brunswick regina, pretty tight pockets. We had him for
3 hours. Last hour spent listening to some of his road stories, that was the best
part. GREAT GUY

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Denny Glenn did not buy the Mosconi Balabushka at the auction several years ago.
He and his brother visited our home in KC on the way to Chicago for the auction (May 2011).

The cue was pricy, as earlier stated, and was acquired by a huge sports memorabilia collector,
not really even in our genre, who had Babe Ruth stuff, etc.
Dammit!

Will Prout

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much would one of those cues cost to buy at the time?
One price point: 1972, rosewood points, eight MOP inlays (4 each above and below the wrap), leather wrap, two shafts with ivory ferrules: $175,

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One price point: 1972, rosewood points, eight MOP inlays (4 each above and below the wrap), leather wrap, two shafts with ivory ferrules: $175,
Sounds like the common 10x(?) for an ultra-premium product. Over time, those purchases are almost always not worth it in terms of a monetary return. But sometimes they are, if you happen to get the equivalent of a Ferrari 250 GTO.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
made 100 bucks at the golden cue one night. gave george the 100 and said give me a cue. still got it.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the reply's fellow's , By any chance would anyone have any pic's they could upload of Willie using his famous Bushka. I would like to see some. I am a fan but his time was before me. It would be cool to see some pic's of him in action with that cue.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
To put into more context, how much regular production cues were going for, or other custom makers?

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
If some on AZ are correct, that Glenn collection will eventually be worth a fraction of what they paid for it. Historically, of course, you can't remove the significance, but financially it may well be a disastrous investment.

I really doubt that, Dan. I've known the Glenns since I was a teenager. Pete was a shrewd buyer and Denny carried on the tradition. They never sold or really even traded cues (except for one time that Denny talked a guy into trading him a Balabushka for a Palmer - straight up!). I think Del said they paid $105 for the last Bushka that they had George make.

They did pay a lot over the years for various player's famous cues, and if they sold them for the actual value of the base cue, they would probably take a loss, but there is money in the provenance they have. For instance, I have a fancier Balabushka than Mosconi's fanciest, but it would probably be worth just over half of what Mosconi's cue brought at auction because I'm not Willie.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Denny Glenn did not buy the Mosconi Balabushka at the auction several years ago.
He and his brother visited our home in KC on the way to Chicago for the auction (May 2011).

The cue was pricy, as earlier stated, and was acquired by a huge sports memorabilia collector,
Dammit!

Will Prout

Yes there are some real high dollar collectors who go for the the "holy grails" across different sports and other ares such as entertainment ( think ruby slippers from Wizard of Oz); watches ( think Paul Newman's Rolex) ; cars ( Steve McQueen Bullitt movie Mustang) etc. etc. - they just desire to have the names with no passion attached to the actual sport, person, movie, etc. they own stuff just because they can!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To put into more context, how much regular production cues were going for, or other custom makers?
About six years earlier Tex Zimmerman made me a bird's eye maple cue with leather wrap and ivory joint, butt plate and ferrules (two shafts) for $65. No splices or inlays.

Brunswick was probably the sales leader in production jointed cues at that time.

About 1969 I got a prototype Mali cue when they were first starting cue production. It was a solid rosewood butt. As I recall, it was $55 with one shaft. It was made in Connecticut. If I were better organized I could find the correspondence.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Bob, thank you

About six years earlier Tex Zimmerman made me a bird's eye maple cue with leather wrap and ivory joint, butt plate and ferrules (two shafts) for $65. No splices or inlays.

Brunswick was probably the sales leader in production jointed cues at that time.

About 1969 I got a prototype Mali cue when they were first starting cue production. It was a solid rosewood butt. As I recall, it was $55 with one shaft. It was made in Connecticut. If I were better organized I could find the correspondence.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take the word of people who saw him play but I thought his exhibitions were sponsored by Brunswick. If that's the case it seems like he would play with a Brunswick cue unless they were promoting their tables more than the cues.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Dammit!

Will Prout

Great info as always, Will. The Glenn video goes very fast, and I have pretty sharp eyes. I think the Bushka I saw in the video was probably the fourth one in the Billiard Encyclopedia picture below. It has the very same buttsleeve, black acrylic, with copper colored rings, and MOP diamonds and dots.

The only difference that I can see is the ring above the wrap has a solid white phenolic ring, rather than the two white phenolic rings on Mosconi's Bushka. Interesting where it ended up, I would have bet on the Glenns'.

Hope this comes out ok, new computer, different picture sizes.

All the best,
H

Attachments

• BE Bushkas - Copy.jpg
    BE Bushkas - Copy.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 296

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take the word of people who saw him play but I thought his exhibitions were sponsored by Brunswick. If that's the case it seems like he would play with a Brunswick cue unless they were promoting their tables more than the cues.

He had to play on Brunswick tables. Brunswick also paid him $50,000/year to wear a Brunswick jacket.