Why buy a cue that is over $300?

Ares49

Registered
Can someone send me links to information or explain to me the benefit of spending a couple hundred dollars or even thousands on a cue stick?

I just recently bought a McDermott G204. It ran me $209

It is a well made American cue, G-Core shaft.

It should do me very nicely for being an intermediate player....

In fact this cue will be better than me for years to come.

But what I notice is that there are a lot of amateur pool players who are shelling out $300+ for these cue sticks that wont make them play any better...

Back in the day people were pocketing balls with straight sticks and maple shafts...

Now we have this predator LD nonsense.

Whats the point? Pool is a very simple game, with a simple wooden tool.

If anyone can give me some insight...I am just recently taking the game more seriously

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres really no reason to, theres great hitting cues at all price ranges. And McDermotts have always played very well..

It's the same reason people by Mercedes and BMWs instead of Chevys or Fords. Just because they feel the need or want to. All personal preference.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Can someone send me links to information or explain to me the benefit of spending a couple hundred dollars or even thousands on a cue stick?

I just recently bought a McDermott G204. It ran me $209

It is a well made American cue, G-Core shaft.

It should do me very nicely for being an intermediate player....

In fact this cue will be better than me for years to come.

But what I notice is that there are a lot of amateur pool players who are shelling out $300+ for these cue sticks that wont make them play any better...

Back in the day people were pocketing balls with straight sticks and maple shafts...

Now we have this predator LD nonsense.

Whats the point? Pool is a very simple game, with a simple wooden tool.

If anyone can give me some insight...I am just recently taking the game more seriously

There is a correlation in many of your statements.....

By your reasoning tho I am assuming you are still driving a 1974 pinto? No reason to drive anything else since it would get you from point a to point b.... LOL

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some people want a cue specially crafted to their needs=> custom.

other people like the beauty of special woods or they simply collect cues because cue making IS an art => customs

others think some material gives them an advantage=> 300 for a shaft ;)

in the end its personal preference. most people here love their hobby and like to spend money on it... thats like asking some car tuners why they need stereos like in a disco in the back of their car....

Ares49

Registered
Well, maybe it is my lack of experience...but from watching pool on tv, at the halls and asking questions. It seems there is no real advantage to buying really expensive cues.

I am just hoping someone could steer me in the right direction regarding cue sticks.

Maybe explain the benefits that some of these custom cue makers or really expensive cues have over the cheaper production cues.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
I wish a lot more people thought like you so I could jump to the top of the waiting lists I'm on and won't have to shell out a few thousand either.

We buy nice cues because we are actually horrible players that are trying to find a magic wand.

As far as G core shafts go, especially compared to a LD like my ob2...

I won't go there. But I'll just say I could never, ever play with a g core shaft again. I plan on getting two or three OB2s made for any custom I get at the moment. I don't see anything ever feeling more perfect and consistent for me.

Once I'm "dumb" enough to buy a Szamboti I'll still probably get an OB2 for it. Just because its nonsense.

Ares49

Registered
I wish a lot more people thought like you so I could jump to the top of the waiting lists I'm on and won't have to shell out a few thousand either.

We buy nice cues because we are actually horrible players that are trying to find a magic wand.

As far as G core shafts go, especially compared to a LD like my ob2...

I won't go there. But I'll just say I could never, ever play with a g core shaft again. I plan on getting two or three OB2s made for any custom I get at the moment. I don't see anything ever feeling more perfect and consistent for me.

Once I'm "dumb" enough to buy a Szamboti I'll still probably get an OB2 for it. Just because its nonsense.

I have heard great things with the G-Core...but I understand if you dont like them.

In regards to LD shafts, you are obviously a fan since you have an OB2 on everything...once again, why?

Masconi didnt play with one, Efren doesnt. So why should scrubs like us play with them?

Im not trolling or anything, I am really curious what you guys think.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
I have heard great things with the G-Core...but I understand if you dont like them.

In regards to LD shafts, you are obviously a fan since you have an OB2 on everything...once again, why?

Masconi didnt play with one, Efren doesnt. So why should scrubs like us play with them?

I've already told you what I think.

I clearly think this shaft works for me.

It's hard to not take this as a troll post.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, maybe it is my lack of experience...but from watching pool on tv, at the halls and asking questions. It seems there is no real advantage to buying really expensive cues.

I am just hoping someone could steer me in the right direction regarding cue sticks.

Maybe explain the benefits that some of these custom cue makers or really expensive cues have over the cheaper production cues.

I liked the inlays..an how it felt in my hands while playing with it.
I would guess you bought your stick for the same reason..
Walmart has a cue for under eight dollars..go buy that an play
with it..this may answer all your questions..I'm not being
sarcastic either..have fun with your new cue.

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not Masconi and I'm not Efren, do you use condoms cause they did?

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
As Tank69 already pointed out: People buy expensive cues because they want them and because they have the financial means to do so. The same applies to those that whine about what the don't have whether they can afford it or not. Now here is some precious advice and one might call it a secret to playing pool well... It's a free secret so I expect you and others to ignore it....

Stop worrying so much about what other people have, what they shoot with, what car they drive etc. Spend your time on the things that make you happy. Your time is valuable, spending it worrying about why people have things or how they choose to spend their money is a waste of your time. Worry less about others and devote more practice time to your game, spend more time with friends and family and do what makes you happy.

For what it's worth, most people don't understand this until it is too late. Hope you will consider this but if you don't that's your option and I am ok with that.

Pangit

Banned
I would say why pay any more $500 than $300. $300 might be a little light:?

Any cue maker worth his salt could make a solid straight grain maple cue, tip to tail, radial pin joint. No inlays, stain or fancy wood. Just make a player. It's all "paint job" after that...I'm more concerned with what's under the hood.

"Nice looking cue kid"...too bad you lost.

madmiller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many others said before me, you can find a nice player for 30$ and if you know how to play, you still will beat those who can't play, no matter how expensive their cues are.
A lot of the people like nice things. I shoot with Lucasi Hybrid LH10 that I bought for 160$ and I am happy with it. I would love to get a stick for 300$, but I cannot afford it. If I get a luxury of getting my hands on 300$, I'd rather go and by myself a car, which I need more than a cue anyway at the moment.
But If I was in a financial position where a couple of hundred bucks is not a lot of money, I would definitely buy myself a cue for 300$ or even more.

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two Predators and a Beautiful Joss all of which I payed 300 or better for. Not to mention my Break Cue which is a BK2. My reason for spending so much money on my cues is simple. I could afford to do it. I am not trying to be a Pro nor do I think that these cues make me shoot better. I like shooting with my cues because its just my preference.

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
I agree with many points before me made on this thread, however I will point out that at least in my experience - a great pool cue, as a great instrument with its perfect balance and feel does inspire more confidence as well as serve to facilitate learning a better stroke and follow through.

One tends to learn better with a better instrument and reaches for it in one's performance to do it justice. Give a beginner a better piano and he/she will work harder and enjoy it more. That's all there is to it other then the esthetic of feeling a work of art in one's hands. Enjoy your cue as it is and find the best qualities in it to serve as a tool for your better game.

Each instrument has something of its own and wood in general is a highly individual medium - if your cue is made of it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why buy a cue that is over $300?

Because you like to or want to.

You have a girlfriend or wife? Is she good looking? Why? Why not just hook up with a mean nasty ugly one?