SVB vs O'Sullivan 14.1 Challenge Match

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This would be a Very entertaining match.

Race to 1000 points over 3 days.

My pick Ronnie in the long haul.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It would be very interesting, but although I do believe break building translate over to 14.1 nicely, I do think it would well enough to overcome SVB or any other top player.

I would hazard a guess at 1000 - 700 or 800ish in Shanes favour. Against Hohman, Schmidt or Feijen you might even be looking them winning 1000-600.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This would be a Very entertaining match.

Race to 1000 points over 3 days.

My pick Ronnie in the long haul.

I think they could do at least 400 points per day. Two sessions to a 200 mark each of the first two days and a single 200 on the last day to allow someone to catch up from a large deficit. If they did a single continuous game we could get a new competition record.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Is this actually happening or are we just sitting and talking on the rail?

I threw it out there....because this would a very interesting match to watch. I think commentary by our new 14.1 record holder, along with a great European commentator would be FUN.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sucker bet for Shane. O'Sullivan would make mistakes. As with Orcollo not asking for one pocket O'Sullivan should ask for snooker to be added to balance the bet.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think an interesting match would be the Lion and the Rocket...
...race to 3...full rack snooker
...200 points...straight pool

Play till someone wins both.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Ronnie would win at snooker 100% of the time, not only against Shane, but any professional pool player.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think an interesting match would be the Lion and the Rocket...
...race to 3...full rack snooker
...200 points...straight pool

Play till someone wins both.
How much time you got 'cause that will never happen.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane all time every time.
Ronnie isn't into pool and he knows why.
He wouldn't have a chance, especially in a game that involves so much knowledge like 14.1.

Put someone in like Steve Davis 15 years ago and it would be a different story.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Shane all time every time.
Ronnie isn't into pool and he knows why.
He wouldn't have a chance, especially in a game that involves so much knowledge like 14.1.

Put someone in like Steve Davis 15 years ago and it would be a different story.

Shanes knowledge of 14.1, how do you know this?

I watched a match with him and Thorpe when he scratched making a break out ball, and they did not know exactly what to do.
I was even more surprised they didn't go over the rules BEFORE play started. 14.1 rules are etched in stone, and will never change, unless the promoter gets involved.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ronnie is at least a 10-1 underdog at straight pool in a race to 1000 vs SVB.

Anyone who reckons that Ronnie can pull a switch and become a top pool player need look no further than the IPT 8-ball tourneys, in which Ronnie played but was not a factor.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How much time you got 'cause that will never happen.

Ronnie is not a lock at snooker...Alex is a two time Canuck snooker champ...
...ran a lot of centuries, including a 147...came in 11th in a big qualifying field in UK.

Ronnie’s knowledge of the snooker pack gives him a chance at 14.1.....
...John Spencer ran 150 at 14.1 years ago when the Miz used to go to the UK.

They could make a time limit on the match....say four tries...over two days.

I think it could get exciting

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love to watch Ronnie play snooker

He is by far the best ever at least I think so

English means class

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I love to watch Ronnie play snooker

He is by far the best ever at least I think so

English means class

Angh?

I agree about ronnie’s snooker status for sure. A phenom, like vitor belfort. But what’s this about class?

I would like to see him match up seriously with any pro pool player. I liked watching him play mr jewett and others in that show he made but I wish they hadn’t mashed different scenes together the way they did.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
apples and oranges and heated tables

Ronnie did a few shows where he was going to do a travelog. Traveling the US, he was going to get in action when he could trying to be a bit undercover. I think the few of those shows I saw indicated that Ronnie was more like an "A" player than like a pro on a pool table.

The situation is flip-flopped or an even bigger gap if a pool player is foolish enough to get on a snooker table with Ronnie. Put any US pro pool player on a snooker table with Ronnie and unless Ronnie is feeling merciful the pro would never get to six playing twenty-one frames.

I spent a couple hours a day on a snooker table for about two years in my younger days. Got pretty fair and it helped my accuracy and position play but at the same time I was playing a few hours a day on a snooker table I was playing about three times that much on a pool table. No snooker table around me for a few decades. I tried snooker with a pool cue like I used to do fairly recently. Holy mackerel! Adjustments were huge. I hit a few balls on the snooker table with a friend's 11.8mm REVO and it worked much better. Never the less, pool is pool and snooker is snooker. If a great young pool player like Filler dedicated several years of intense effort to snooker he might be able to play a little.

The same thing if a snooker player tried to go the other way, it wouldn't be an overnight thing. Ronnie said it would take him five years to play pool. I assume he meant at the same level he plays snooker. I would suspect more like two years if he focused solely on pool.

It would have been interesting if a young Efren had spent a few years on a snooker table instead of carom or after his carom days. One of the most flexible pool players in the world if not the most flexible, he might have made the jump. We will never know.

Modern snooker players are better at pretty much all aspects of cue sports than pool players. Pocketing, spin, position play, you name it. They still don't make the jump to pool tables easily. I think it is the bigger heavier balls more than the tables. Snooker is usually played on heated tables now too I believe.

Anyway, a thousand points on a pool table, I think a pool player would get out front and cruise. On a snooker table a snooker player would do much the same. The games are a lot more different than they appear to be to a casual observer.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie did a few shows where he was going to do a travelog. Traveling the US, he was going to get in action when he could trying to be a bit undercover. ...
That would be the UK History Channel's series "American Hustle". There were four 45-minute (without commercials) programs. Here is episode 1, which I expect to disappear shortly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzDzWYhotgI

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You!

That would be the UK History Channel's series "American Hustle". There were four 45-minute (without commercials) programs. Here is episode 1, which I expect to disappear shortly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzDzWYhotgI

I think I watched two episodes on youtube. I don't know which ones so I bookmarked this one to watch soon. I find a more mature Ronnie entertaining. Thanks for the link!

Hu

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie did a few shows where he was going to do a travelog. Traveling the US, he was going to get in action when he could trying to be a bit undercover. I think the few of those shows I saw indicated that Ronnie was more like an "A" player than like a pro on a pool table.

The situation is flip-flopped or an even bigger gap if a pool player is foolish enough to get on a snooker table with Ronnie. Put any US pro pool player on a snooker table with Ronnie and unless Ronnie is feeling merciful the pro would never get to six playing twenty-one frames.

I spent a couple hours a day on a snooker table for about two years in my younger days. Got pretty fair and it helped my accuracy and position play but at the same time I was playing a few hours a day on a snooker table I was playing about three times that much on a pool table. No snooker table around me for a few decades. I tried snooker with a pool cue like I used to do fairly recently. Holy mackerel! Adjustments were huge. I hit a few balls on the snooker table with a friend's 11.8mm REVO and it worked much better. Never the less, pool is pool and snooker is snooker. If a great young pool player like Filler dedicated several years of intense effort to snooker he might be able to play a little.

The same thing if a snooker player tried to go the other way, it wouldn't be an overnight thing. Ronnie said it would take him five years to play pool. I assume he meant at the same level he plays snooker. I would suspect more like two years if he focused solely on pool.

It would have been interesting if a young Efren had spent a few years on a snooker table instead of carom or after his carom days. One of the most flexible pool players in the world if not the most flexible, he might have made the jump. We will never know.

Modern snooker players are better at pretty much all aspects of cue sports than pool players. Pocketing, spin, position play, you name it. They still don't make the jump to pool tables easily. I think it is the bigger heavier balls more than the tables. Snooker is usually played on heated tables now too I believe.

Anyway, a thousand points on a pool table, I think a pool player would get out front and cruise. On a snooker table a snooker player would do much the same. The games are a lot more different than they appear to be to a casual observer.

Hu

Pretty sure Ronnie said Efren is the only person to ever 'out-hustle' him on a snooker table (you can interpret that as you will, but I took it to mean that Efren could play snooker almost as well as pool, which is backed up by Jimmy White's encounters with him too).

As you say, the pro always wins on their own table, however its skewed slightly in that a pool pro will be unlikely to win a single frame off a top 8 snooker pro, whereas even a low level snooker pro will still rack up a few points in Straight Pool.